The Joy of MSG (Or: Monosodium Glutamate and the Wrath of Khan)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Umami is now slowly being accepted as a distinct fifth taste in addition to salt, sweet, bitter and sour. Just what is umami? It is a distinct taste that often seems more like an enhancement of other tastes, it sometime seems like a mixture of sweet and salt or a "meaty" flavor. It is most prevalent naturally in Japanese kelp broths. Umami is not present in large amounts in any natural foods.

Umamai is the taste of glutamates and certain amino acids.

The most readily available form of glutamates is Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)

I heartily recommend that everyone carry a vial of MSG with them on vacation to enhance mediocre restreaunt fare. Add it to everything, even the water!

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

MSG makes me feel drugged and then I sit on the toilet for an hour.

3. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

LOL. Passed out on the throne, eh?

I thought it was universally agreed that MSG was bad for you.

4. AhmedFaisal Guest

If the food tastes ****ty, the last thing I want...

.... is to make the ****ty taste even stronger! And at any rate, MSG cause even worse gas for me then beans & onions combined and I prefer that combination, especially in my own home-made chili con carne.
    Cheers,

Ahmed :p

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I get nasty headaches when ever I have MSG and will only eat at restaurants that don't use it.

I do remember going to a Thai place that had it in little bowls on the table. Took me a while to realize what it was, but I was happy that they left the MSG for the patron to add and didn't use it themselves.

D

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That's pretty...weird? I don't like getting MSG in anything I eat either, mostly for preference. Additives in food really are starting to freak me out, and they're in everything just about.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What does MSG look like when its sitting on a table at a restaurant? :confused: I think I've tried it from the table and maybe I didn't know, since I enjoy Asian foods.

8. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Re: The Joy of MSG (Or: Monosodium Glutamate and the Wrath of Khan)

Not necessary. In mediocre restaurants, the chef has already put plenty in the food :D

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It looks a little like salt and flour, white in color.

D

10. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    very strange, i'd be freaked if i saw it like that, as a condiment in a restaurant, but yeah it's good they didn't already add it. i hate the stuff, makes me soooo thirsty.

eye ... i'm with ya on the additives thing, i hate the fact that even milk has vitamin d added. just give me food that's not contaminated with all this crap, who knows what adding all this bollocks is going to do after a few years. if people have a lack of something in their diet, inform them, don't control them. it's disgusting what is in our food.

don't mess with mother nature, or she'll mess with you.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Something good could come of this thread yet. Let's post major restraunts that use MSG.

KFC - I asked them if they had anything they didn't use MSG in and they couldn't find anything.

12. frescies macrumors regular

All fast chinese food joints....

Panda Express, for one

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: All fast chinese food joints....

That's a great one. The local one has a sign that says they don't add any MSG. Well all the food they have is prepared they don't make it there and it all has MSG in it. No they don't ADD MSG but it already has it in it. How many people do you think are fooled by that sign?

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

MSG was marketed in the U.S.A. in the late 1960s as a flavour enhancer. I think Adolph was the brand that made it popular. It was later adopted in Japan as the Aji no Moto brand and spread like wildfire.

It's usually popular with poor Asian restaurants to make their low quality ingredients taste better. However, the problem is that a high percentage of people are allergic to it. It doesn't bother me, but I'd just as soon avoid it--just like I avoid chain Asian restaurants.

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

MSG looks like white short needle-like salt. a bit more elongated and pretty clear, it's not quite "white."

MSG itself isn't harmless, in a sense it's not poisonous. it's got a bad rep in the u.s. because back in the day, cheap chinese restaurants overused it and people were found to be allergic. (mild numbing sensation of the tongue is one of the symptoms.)

it's popular in east asia. in japan, the most famous brand is ajinomoto. (literally, the source of taste)

it's naturally concentrated from seaweed and such. it's not a man-made chemical, it's more of a distilled form of it.

i personally find various sugar substitutes more of a "bad" chemical than MSG.

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree completely on the sugar substitutes. Sugar isn't good for you but Sugar substitutes really aren't good for you in completely different manner. Even with that if I eat at a restaurant that uses MSG I know it without asking because it makes very sick.

17. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Actually MSG was orginally sold as the Ajinomoto in 1909 and was later sold in the United States shortly after WWI.