Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
How do I make a # sign using an Apple keyboard?

And also does anyone have suggestions for a cheap UK keyboard with both the # and :apple: key?

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
On my Belgian keyboard it's on the same key as the @ character. Don't know were it would be on a UK keyboard though.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ummm... it's right there on your keyboard. Just hold down shift, and press 3... I hope I didn't misunderstand you.

Note the "UK" comment... ;)

Dynamicv's is probably the easiest (and standard) way to do it. Otherwise, you can add one of two things to the menu bar:

- Go to system preferences -> International -> Input Menu -> Show Input Menu in menu bar

And then select one/both of the Character Palette and Keyboard Viewer from the menu. Then you can launch these from the menu bar system-wide. The palette functions like the Insert Symbol option in MS Word. The Kbd viewer shows you what the keyboard layout is, including for instance, if you hold shift, it will show you what each key makes with shift, if you hold option, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.