The King is dead long live Bertie!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by LordMord, Dec 12, 2003.

1. LordMord macrumors member

2. bertinman macrumors 6502

Re: The King is dead long live Bertie!

thanks dude!

I was busy taking finals and the GRE so I missed it. I've been sleeping since Friday afternoon (with a short break on Sat for another final) so I missed the excitment! :(

Looking at our team stats it seems we have a nice curve of our member's output now--no super-huge producers that are way above anyone else, but a lot of hard workers and a few heavies.

Lets continue to work hard and aim to get in the top 10 :D we went from 6k to 17k during my time, why not all the way to 25k a week? :)

Show the mac users spirit :D.

3. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

yes, congrats for your dedication bert :D

i am glad that our team is evenly distributed now
    after i started i was approaching 50% output and it wasnt terribly fun. there are so many contributing members now...i am very optimistic

the teamwork and competitive spirit of this team have brought us near to the top

here's where the bulk of my efforts have been going...altough i still love contributing and stat tracking

4. LordMord thread starter macrumors member

Question?

What are the benefits of folding for er that thing? Should we be moving our efforts there?

Lord

5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Go ahead bertinman! I remember when you blazed past me almost a year ago....

I haven't been able to contribute much at all in the last months. I haven't really checked, but you guys are doing AWESOME! I am going to throw some points to the team. I am breaking in a couple of new servers and they should be turning in their points tonight. :D

6. LordMord thread starter macrumors member

I have another 4 puters coming available...

including a 2.0 G5 in the next five weeks so I am going to do my best to get those folding for the team...

In the meantime I am proud to have awoken bifrost! S/He is trying to get back at me for passing him/her and s/he is doing a fab job... we are currently fighting an interesting battle if you want to tune in to that :D

Lord

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Question?

here's why mac rule at rc5
    here's a quantifiable score on how much they own
    here's some reasons to jion

team xlr8 is in position 6 currently and is closing in fast on position 4. all the mac power on this team would push that team to #1 guarnteed

xlr8yourmac is my favorite site...so i like to crunch for them

8. LordMord thread starter macrumors member

ic

whilst we all fold/whatever for different reasons which are as valid as anything we do I would like to feel that I am contributing to something that might help people in trouble...

I used to do SETI but really, with so many problems on our own planet I think Folding is the better option...

Just my own opinion which is just that, my own :D

Lord

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

mc68k -- Isn't that project just to prove that Encryption's can be broken?

I mean It doesn't even break a really strong encryption, just shows that one can be broken... by a few thousand users willing to give their Idle CPU time to the cause...

But think about this... even at a RC5-56 one computer could take yyeaarrss trying to crack it...

Ehh, I still don't get now (after the definate speed boost) you are giving xlr8yourmac all that power.

:p

BTW, xlr8yourmac's site kicks ass! :D

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i think the whole point of any of these projects is to show off how much computing potential one has available to them...and how that ranks with anonymous internet strangers

i initially diverted my energies because my whole lab of macs was worth like 3000 points a week back in the summer. that was giving this team like <5% while that same computing power was like 15% on xlr8

i needed a challenge too. rc5 is killer with offline machines. folding doesn't really 'work' on machines that arent connected to the internet

the new folding core is promising a good future for macs. if we ever need that extra boost i might help out. i kind of like observing this team from afar now that it has got strength through its masses

11. LordMord thread starter macrumors member

You could just...

...help us get those darn knights first though!

We will catch them but it would be cool to get them sooner rather than later!

:D :D :D