The Krugman Thread...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Sep 10, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    OK, this is a little experiment...

I happened to Read the latest op-ed piece by Paul Krugman of the NYT (posted below). I found it, as his articles often are, to be very relevant and clarifying to the political issues and the realties that we both find ourselves faced with and have a tendency to discuss here in this forum.

So, I felt that I might start a thread solely for Krugman articles, as I find that his op-ed pieces might generate useful and/or meaningful discussion and clarity both in this thread and in others.

To some this might prove redundant, as NYT's online registration is free. Nevertheless, I thought it might provide some insight to those who do not normally read the NYT either by circumstance or active choice.

We will see how this goes...FWIW...

Coming up to an election where issues have taken a back-seat to vague "character" criteria, I thought this might prove relevant to those wondering which way is up after the recent maelstrom of "truths" and "lies"...

It also is again an attempt to try and convey that I, even though I am a Democrat, do not oppose Bush because of his Party affiliation and the values that implies.

Character is not a partisan issue.
  2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    I feel exactly the same way. I think character comes first, and good decisions follow. Someone who is noble and honest will make good decisions ... it's that simple.

I've voted for Republican candidates when I felt they had better character than their counterparts.

One of my problems with Bush is that he doesn't seem responsive to what people tell him. The UN says there's no WMDs in Iraq, the 9/11 report says to make changes now ... He seems to be in his own little world, doing whatever he thinks is right instead of doing what the general consensus thinks is right.
  3. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i've been reading mr krugman's columns for a couple years now. when it was nearly verboten to even question what the administration was doing, krugman was almost alone in doing so. and always in a way that was level-headed, insightful and based on facts.

despite all the death threats he's received (people really _are_ pretty lame sometimes), i'm glad he's still crankin' out the great columns.
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I don't know guys... Boortz is more of a mainstream news guy, this Krugman is obviously to be dismissed out of hand as he is a blatant tool of the left wing media, and also is coordinating with the Kerry campaign.

My tin hat told me so... :p
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Depends on how one wants to define character.

Does character get defined by some of these examples?

- A politician that speaks of the sanctity of marriage, but has been divorced?

- A politician that says they support the middle class and understands their needs; yet whose family history has never been middle class.

- A politician that cheats on his wife, or may have had a drug/alcohol problem in the past.

Or does character get defined by what they tried to do for their community and country? Both through law, community service, or military/law enforcement service. Does it get defined by their ties to the church of their choice?

That also brings to mind just how much character matters to the voting public. For if it mattered that much, then I think that we would see a greater turnover of the politicians - despite the amount of money that the incumbent has.
  6. MikeAR macrumors newbie

Sep 10, 2004
    Krugman is brilliant in his columns and his new book. Did anyone see him debating Bill O'Reilly on Tim Russert's CNBC show? Krugman shredded him to bits and O'Reilly lied as usual.
  7. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    New Krugman...
    Ain't reality a bitch?