The last few hours of my youth...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, okay, I'm 47. I'm not a youth. But in my mind I'm still young. You're only as old as you feel, right?

All that's about to change today.

Today I'm becoming a grandfather for the first time.

And I'm not ready for it.

I don't know why, but I associate crossing the line between parent (which I am) and grandparent (which I'm about to become) as the official start of "getting old". Perhaps it's the fact that there will now be four living generations of my family. OTOH, I've always had kids -- they came in a package deal with my wife (I missed the previous offer where you got a free printer), so with my own kids grown up, I was beginning to look at celebrating a finally empty nest, and now that's gonna be over. Perhaps I'll miss that freedom, since I'll be pulling considerable babysitting duty as a grandfather.

Again, I don't know exactly why it is that I associate this moment with getting old. Lord knows I'm slowing down in lots of other ways.

Anyway, I'm on the way to the hospital shortly. Wish us luck. We know it's gonna be a girl, and we even knew the delivery date would be today, because my daughter-in-law is being induced. I've already got the balloons, including a "Happy Birthday" one for our new granddaugher.

I'm really anticipating enjoying the baby, despite my other crabbing. Heck, the kid's already got it made. With my brains and my wife's beauty, plus the business acumen she's getting from the other side of the family, she's gonna be terrific! ;) :p

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats and good luck!
    I know things are scary now, but it will be great for you!

I'm 49 and no grandchildren yet.
    My wife is driving me crazy... I may have to get her a puppy!

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Now, let's see...

1- Congratulations! to you and your whole family!! it's great the joy of a baby! :)

2- I have 2 kids (so far) :cool:

3- I'm 25, :eek: , at this rate I' guess I'll be posting something like this in less than 15 years. :eek:

4- Have to talk to my kids. ;)

5- Hey, I could see long line of my family... :cool:

You're not getting older, just experienced.
    Congratulations!!

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congrats, Thomas Veil! Think of this as having "free" children - all the pleasures (watching them grow, delighting in their personalities, interests, and achievements, and just being part of their lives) with none of the day to day hassles of raising them yourself.

I remember my parents-in-law being delighted when we were expecting the first time but my own parents thinking they were too young for the grandparent title. But as soon as the baby arrived, they leaped into the role immediately. I expect you will too. And among the ranks of grandfathers, you are on the young side, so enjoy that too.

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

...and what kind of puppy would you get her Dawg???

Congratulations on the grandkids. I'm 42 and no where near potential grandkids...well if I did the calculation I guess it COULD happen. :confused:

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Congrats, TV. You may find that having a baby arround again actually makes you feel a little younger. And I understand that having grandkids is much more fun than having your own. Stock 'em ful of sugar and pass 'em back! ;)

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly! That's why I like being an uncle. I get to spoil my neice and then give her back! :)

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And don't you think I haven't thought of that!

Well, I'm just back from the hospital now, at 9:45 pm EDT. It was a difficult delivery, and they finally had to resort to a C-section, but we have a little granddaughter, and is she cute! She's quiet for the most part, but when she tries to cry it's this adorable, forceful-yet-pitiful wail, like she wants to squawl her head off, if she could only figure out how to get some volume. :D

My poor daughter-in-law looks all beat to hell. Twelve hours of induced labor, not eating for 18 hours, and ending up with a C-section will do that to you. She said she's actually too weak to hold the baby much.

My son did most of the holding, and am I proud of him! He looks great with a baby in his arms. He's gonna be a terrific dad.

Thank you all for your congratulations. I'll post a picture when I can get one.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congratulations again. You're off to a grand start as a grandfather. And your son will be a grand father. I'm very happy for you.