"The Left Gets What It Asked For"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by crdean1, Nov 1, 2005.

1. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Thought this was an interesting/good/entertaining/article.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/pruden.htm

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Planned Parenthood are the "nannies" when they try to keep the government out of a woman's conversation with her doctor?

What twisted, stupid logic in a snide, condescending argument.
    Oh really, and the editor of the Moonie rag that is the Washington Times thinks this country wants a lassez-faire religious nanny state. You know, the kind that doesn't give a **** about you unless you're doing something naughty.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What a load of complete and utter claptrap. The furthest right wing of the Republican Party sunk the Meirs nomination, all by their little lonely. Just a minute ago it seems, they were dancing a very public victory jig over this. Now they're trying to accuse the Democrats of what exactly -- not approving of the current nominee? And how, precisely I ask, did they "get what they asked for?" What they asked for was a judicial moderate.

I will remember this editorial when I need something to fertilize my rose garden.

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

This article is so far outside my frame of reference that it's basically incomprehensible.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm a right-wing conservative Christian wacko, and I'm still unclear on what point Mr. Pruden is trying to make (after two read-throughs).

Yes, Republicans are generally pro-life and Democrats are generally pro-choice. Is it a shocker that Bush nominated a conservative judge, and that the Democrats are up in arms about it? What's the story here? :confused:

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... I was unaware that I had 'asked for' a right-wing ideologue!

Also, I live in California and am quite aware of who the president is.

When are conservatives going to learn that you don't make friends by insulting your opponents? Or do they just not care?

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If he's trying to be facetious, it was kind-of funny. Don't think he really had a point. Just sick of the idiocy on both sides. Don't know, might have read it wrong, but that's what I got out of it. And the part about Ted Kennedy was chuckle worthy, if not in the lowest common denominator kinda way.

8. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this guy is not helping the cause. Granted the folks in Hollywood are a little 'out there', but the conservative right most definitely has its bunch of 'out there' individuals and groups.
    Real insight and analysis I find absent in that article.
    I think we really need some sort of a lone-wolf candidate who can think for himself (or herself) that won't get into that "party" mentality of thinking.
    And why does it have to be "abortion rights"? I thought it was all about choice? That's how I see it.
    The Democrats glory days really were over with the death of JFK. He was their star and they are desperately trying to look for anyone that can come close to that ideal and image. Most fall short of course.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Over with JFK, huh? The Voting Rights Act, Fair Housing Act, and all of the other landmark civil rights legislation that came after JFK no longer count? Aren't we being just a bit arbitrary with our history?

I've also never understood this conservative fixation with "Hollywood" (whatever that is, really). It just so happens that the only major political office (or minor one AFAIK) held by a member of the entertainment industry is the Republican governor of California. So contrary to the assertion in this article, it seems that it's the Republicans who are confused about which members of the "out there" team are really exerting political influence. (Hint: Geena Davis is not found anywhere on this map.)

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The guy might as well have titled the article "The Left Gets What's Coming To Them". It's that hateful.

11. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

You guys hammered this, you don't think it's the least bit funny, however idiotic it is??:)

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Do you think it was intended as humor?

13. zach macrumors 65816

zach

While it obviously isn't intended as humorous, I actually do find it rather funny ;)

14. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

He obviously meant it as serious, but I found it funny. :)

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You seem to have forgotten No 40. Not that I blame you.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I said I thought it was funny.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Living only, please -- if not currently in office.

You have to understand, the right wing punditocracy in these parts gasped in orchestrated horror when a few months back Warren Beatty suggested (just suggested, mind you) that he might be interested in running for public office some day. This automatically confirmed every thought, idea and prejudice the Right has about all those weird, wacky Hollywood lefties. In reality (oh, that pesky reality), the only entertainment people I can think of who've held major public offices in California are/were Republicans.