The legal issues of using another iTunes store...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by appledu, Feb 17, 2007.

1. appledu macrumors member

appledu

Yes, I know, this has been discussed ad nauseam, but what I really want to know is if someone was to buy songs/tv shows from the US store, using a 'fake address', would they risk any legal repercussions...?
    The worst I can see is Apple closing the account, but could it go any further?

Thanks,

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Wouldn't it be easier to just get iTunes gift cards from the US?

3. appledu thread starter macrumors member

appledu

That's what I meant...but for that you need a fake address...

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I didn't know that. I always thought you just entered the sequence of numbers/letters on the back. It asks you for a US address as well?

5. appledu thread starter macrumors member

appledu

Yeah.
    I mean, it doesn't check or anything, so you can enter what you want...

I know that the iTunes T&C say you can't do it, but I don't think that it would be a criminal offence, as downloading TV shows from other places would be...

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's not a criminal offence, but it is a commercial breach of contract when you lie about your location when signing up. Apple could do anything from nothing to revoking the authorizations on your purchased items.

When Apple signs a distribution agreement with a record company, they are contracting for a license to distribute in specific countries only, either because the rights are owned by a different group, or Apple didn;t like the terms, or the record company wants to restrict distribution.

So lets say that ABC123 Records in the UK is happy to license their catalog to Apple for US sales, but they have their own ABC123tunes.com service in the EU, and don't want iTunes competing. By falsifying your information to get downloads that are not licensed for your country, you are putting Apple in the position of breaking their contract with ABC123 Records.