1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

The Legends Of 68K - System 7 Today, advocates of Apple's ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 26, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

A nice interview about a great resource on one of my favorite Mac OSes in existence. Kudos, dpaanlka, on the great interview; and kudos, too, on the great website. Looking forward to the rest of the interview.

I don't know why, but there is this inherit bias toward 7.5.x (and I do suspect it's for the reasons you mention -- particularly that it is free). I think it's also partially to do with the fact that 7.6 is surrounded by two "titans." 7.5.x became a de facto standard, because it was around for quite some time and shipped with a great expanse of Macintoshes (did 7.6 ship with any Macintoshes?), while 8.0 was a hyped release that has a much larger perceived jump.

In other words, "Look at how much newer 8.0 looks than my old 7.5.5 -- I'm just going to buy Mac OS 8, why even bother updating 7.5?"

3. macrumors 6502a

Isn't this a free update on this page?

edit: It's also listed here.

4. macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'm not 100% positive, but I think this 7.6.1 update will only update 7.6 to 7.6.1. And notice that 7.6 is not listed. Thusly, you must have an original 7.6 installation media and then upgrade to 7.6.1. :)

5. macrumors 6502a

Okay. So where would you even get 7.6? eBay?

6. macrumors 65816

Squonk

7. macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

really cool article. it's nice to see something from the usual crap mixed with poorly titled cnet articles. niccce.

now where can i find myself an old mac so i can ebay 7.6.1

8. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Um, that's what I get for not reading the thread...ignore

9. macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

I remember when my family owned a computer running System 7.1. That seems like such a long time ago. That was our first computer. And later I remember 7.5, but I honestly don't know if I have ever used 7.6.

10. jhu
    macrumors 6502a

jhu

meh, i was never too impressed with any apple os before mac os x. for those older powermacs that can't run os x, i'd rather put linux or netbsd on them.

11. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yeah doing a rundown of the machines you listed in your sig, jhu, that opinion seems most consistent. I'd imagine anything without a CLI would be a non-starter for you. ;) :D

12. jhu
    macrumors 6502a

jhu

alright, you got me. perhaps i should be more incognito next time...