The Little Red Book and "Homeland" Security

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/12-05/12-17-05/a09lo650.htm

How long 'til books are banned or burned?

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Going a little far aren't we, Ugg? After all this only means if we read bad books and travel to suspicious places or travel too much we have to give up basic constitutional rights. What's the matter with that? After all if you aren't doing anything wrong what's the matter with the government invading your privacy and restricting your travel. I, for one, am sure that only evil doers will end up in the camps. I have to admit I'm kinda worried that voting for the wrong candidate might put me into the category of evil doers, but that is a sacrifice we all can make for our country.

Now can anyone tell me where I turn in my copy of 1984 so the government doesn't get mad at me? And do I have to have all my posts cleared by the Department of Homeland Security? Or does that happen next week? :eek:

edit: In case you missed it, here is the list of unacceptable reading material we should all avoid under our new regime. Additions may follow at any time. If you have ever had contact with one of these books, be sure to tell your reeducation camp counselor.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Doesn't anyone read their history nowadays? McCarthy anyone? Ok, that's it... now we're fascists.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, thats a tad scary & sad. :(

Heck, I had to read Mein Kampf this semester (and I downloaded it off of a neo-nazi website)- surpised no one was waiting for me at home. ;) :)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

communism is the threat, not hitler. duh. :rolleyes:

but yeah, this is a bit troublesome indeed.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Evidently, Hitler is okay since he is still on the right side of the political spectrum.

It is, and come to think about it- I also read the Communist Manifesto by Marx and Engels this semester. :eek:

***Peers out window looking for men in black suits*** ;) :)

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Unless someone tries to point that out to a neocon, in which case we are reminded that Hitler was a vegetarian, and therefore must have been a liberal. :rolleyes:

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Naturally. ;) :)

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Sayhey, that "10 most dangerous books" list was hilarious.
    My highlights. Could they have picked any more biased language? And then neatly bringing Clinton into it. Wow. I guess since Bush is of Clinton's generation, it explains why he's unable to think or form a coherent sentence. :p

On topic, I do find it scary that there are book watchlists. You'd think that if they're gonna do enough spying on people to know what books they're reading, they'd also do enough spying to realize they're writing a damn term paper. Sloppy. And short-sighted.

I guess this is just the age of paranoid ass****s we live in. If I download Osama's letter to America from 2001, will they toss me in Gitmo? Or will I have to travel to the ME first?

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Freedom,Liberty:rolleyes: Spying on Americans,snooping into our life, then wanting to tell us how to live and what to think. Big Brother,Police State,Tyrants,Dictators...........all have this same thing in common. Amazing how a Republican ran Govt can tramp on all these things so easily. Just give them an excuse like terrorism. Have they even yet closed our Borders??? It took Bush & the Deferral Gang 5 yrs just to mention it! but they want to spy on Americans. somethings wrong here wouldnt you say? No bad guys walk across from Mexico?
    Control Freaks are going to destroy our Democracy through more laws and by the continuation of the watering down the Constitution of the United States and our Bill of Rights.

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I am having trouble finding independent confirmation of this story by a reputable news source. All of the stories I've found so far (through Google News) are just recaps of the story that Ugg linked to.

13. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhhh, good. It sounded pretty scary, but far-fetched.

Mao Tse-Tung is a major figure in history, and whether what he said is right or wrong, of course college students are going to be reading it.

But then again, with the recent unveiling of information about Bush and secret wiretaps...who knew? :(

As for dmw007, well, he should probably be more worried about the DMCA jack-booted copyright officials than anything else. :)

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Imagine that.

16. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Why let a little thing like facts get in the way of a good story?! ;) :p

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Can't blame us for having been fooled. This hoax is much more believable, nay probable, than your average "3-tons bear eat 67 hikers" kind of hoax. :p

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What's scary is that it was so easy to believe. I'm sure you'll just call us paranoid, but considering someone like DHM, who voted for Bush, thought it was believable nowadays tell me something. Kinda like if someone accused Clinton of boffing his secretary... totally believable. ;)

19. tristan macrumors 6502a

It's also believable because it seems to demonstrate the level of competence for our intelligence organizations - instead of catching real terrorists, waste time and resources hassling a college kid. Well, still, glad its a hoax. If only the "secret camps" and "secret spying" was a hoax.

20. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Yeah, I felt the story a bit far fetched. Even the people US military studies Mao Tse-Tung and his tatics, which Che Guevara studied and managed to turned Cuba's economy in a Soviet driven economy one. But the book needs to be banned because American's want Communism to spread, of course because we don't want to learn from the past.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Umm... too bad the Human Events booklist I posted a link to isn't a hoax. Those folks are scary. I looked at the link you provided and I'm still unclear whether the original story is a hoax or not.

22. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Big Brother (Authoritarianism), Police State (totalitarianism), and Dictatorship (authoritarianism without with a defined ideology) common link is that they usually enforce there beliefs through subterfuge, fear, and violence. As a bad as you think the Republicans are they don't come near towards violence to enforce a political philosophy. You mock, people that really live under a government with fear that they government will kill them because what they believe. Even, if your premise is true, you wouldn't be able to post the message that you did. Although, you might be already dead.

You have the right to believe in what you want, and it is the people job to keep the government in check. However, there are ton's of people that would give everything up to live in America under a Republican or Democratic government because you are free in America.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Though this story may not be true its common knowledge that Bush & the deferral gang have OK'd under the patriot act to go through Library records to see what people are reading. George's freedom & liberty

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hey, I said men in black suits, not men in black- so I think that I am safe from them (just not Bush). ;) :)

25. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

George, freedom & liberty- an oxymoron. :)