The long road to a fully working powerbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by caveman_uk, Aug 18, 2005.

1. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

This weekend I decided to buy a 15" powerbook. Maybe a bit rash with Paris coming up but my ibook was starting to seem to slow and the aluminium envy overtook me!

So Saturday.

I buy a 15" combo powerbook. Run it for 2 hours it then kernel panics then won't reboot. It does nothing but Kernel panic. HW test says faulty memory. I swap SODIMM for a known good one. Still dead so it's the powerbook not the RAM.

Sunday:

Back to the store (John Lewis) and get refund - no others in stock at that store.

15" combos are a like hens teeth at John Lewis so I decide to go one up and get the SD model. Get one. Works great doesn't die and unlike the first one doesn't have a dead pixel.

Monday:

Plug in power adapter. Goes 'pop' and smells of burning. Ring Applecare - they send a new one.

Wednesday:

New adapter arrives. It's DOA. Ring Applecare. They send another new one.

Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have a fully working set of everything I paid for. I see it as rather annoying but if I was new to mac I'd probably see it differently....this Apple stuff is a pile of unreliable junk. Apple REALLY should pay better attention to QC or all the other stuff doesn't matter. 'It just works'????...really. Hmm....

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wow! :eek:

That's not cool at all. I know Apple leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to quality control, but you'd think they'd try a little harder with the Pro lines. Sure, faulty iPods are sort of fair enough considering how many they're making and how cheap they are, but their flagship notebook really should just work.

Best of luck with the new one though.

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Thats an absolute pain, i would call Apple and demand a discount on that Powerbook. You never know they may scrape a few bucks or give a rebate for you next purchase.

5. caveman_uk thread starter Guest

caveman_uk

I bought from a department store here in the UK as they give a standard 2 year parts and labour warranty rather than Apple's 1 year so I didn't buy it from Apple direct. You're right though - an absolute pain and hardly inspires confidence. How many customers to Apple lose through shoddy products?

Also why does it take half an hour (each time) on a phone to Apple care just to get a damn power adapter? At least the second time I could understand the guys accent.