the LONG wait for broadband

Discussion in 'Community' started by 5300cs, Jun 15, 2003.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Ok, I usually don't post this kind of thing, but I think I'm going nuts...

I've been waiting 6 YEARS to be able to get broadband internet, and finally this week on Friday I should be all setup and ready to go with 12mb ADSL.

[ If you don't want to read this, skip to the bottom]
    A brief synopsys .. when I was in the U.S. ADSL was still new and the service area was the size of a phone booth so I couldn't get it. My building wasn't wired so I couldn't get cable. When I moved to Japan, my first residence wasn't eligible for ADSL or cable either. My next apartment was 1.3Km from the switching station, so ADSL was out of the question (the limit at the time was 1Km) and the building wasn't wired for cable so no dice. To add insult to injury, 2 days after moving out the cable company arrived and wired the whole place :mad: Meanwhile all my friends were getting ADSL and toting it's wonderful speeds. Even my student were getting ADSL so they could check their email once a week .. all of whom I could've cheerfully killed :)

The place where I live now was at first ineligible for ADSL (distance .. arrrgh..this time 1.2Km) and the cable company's service area stopped right across the way from me. In a blind spot AGAIN. Only when Yahoo!BB forced NTT to give us service, did NTT finally admit that we could use it and start installation.

Since then I've dealt with all forms of crappy dialup and am on 128k wireless now, which still sucks (in Japan, the phone monopoly NTT has a telecom surcharge if you use a modem w/dialup, something like 5cents a minute during the day.) I've also been on the verge of signing up in the past, only to be told I was too far away, or that my area wasn't covered.

To make a long and winding story short, I don't think I'm going to survive until Friday. I think I'm going to be hit by a cement mixer, or a piano or anvil is going to fall from the sky and hit me in the head before I'm able to use it.
    I need you kind folks who are relishing in 70K/sec+ speeds to tell me that it's wonderful on the other side, that the trees are always green, the flowers are in bloom, my iDisk doesn't take an eternity to moutn and just give me the will to live... this maybe a strange request but I've been waiting for YEARS, folks.. I don't know how much longer I can survive

2. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Re: the LONG wait for broadband

Well, I hope it works out for you. I could not imagine going without high speed. My service is pretty constant. I don't usually have any down time, or slow periods. I think they should make dial up illegal in urban areas. It should only be allowed to exist where high speed does not. High speed is a million times better than dial-up. To make a long story short, once you get on high speed, you will not know how you ever did without it.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i hope it works out good to. i was on dialup forever and i managed but know i could never go back. i have 3 computers hard wired and 2 computers on airport here at the house. no more kicking people offline and know i can play online games nicely. but one thing ive learned about dsl (at least in my area) is that it is a gamble. Luckily I have it good where I am. but my friend who pays as much as i do gets about 14kb/s when i get 140kb/s. then i upgraded my service so I could speeds similar to my other friend who get 400-500kb/s, but when i upgraded everything stayed the same, they just increased my upload speeds, i use cable modem at work and it is nice, but they didnt put the great wires in our town like the neighboring towns so ares isnt as fast. all in all it should work out great for you.

iJon

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulation 5300cs, I know that you will enjoy broadband. As other said you will wonder how you ever did without. I had dialup 1988 - 2002, really didn't know of anyother choice till 1998 when they got it at work.

Once I decided to get DSL it took almost a year, because of technical problems with my local phone company.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Good luck on the week I hope it all works out for you. Just remember your sunday morning cartoons proceed accordingly and you should be okay.:D

I checked availability of the Cable in the place I live in now before I moved in. I went from having 800KB/s downloads living on the local campus to a 56k modem and when we decided it was time to move I made sure the next place we moved into would have high speed internet of some sort. Now I'm trying to dump the cable because it costs so freaking much $57 a month. It was $40 when I moved in. I'm trying to find DSL service since it's $30 but it seems that I'm in a no service area.

6. vniow macrumors G4

7. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I was on dialup for a long time before finally becoming eligable for cable access.

Now I'm surfing at 2Mbps down/256Kbps up... :D

I could go back, but it would require so many narcotics that it would actually cost more than cable access.

8. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

Thanks for the support so far :)

I agree that dialup should be relegated to people that aren't internet-savy. For example, all the people who want to get online should take a test with questions about how long they will use it, what they will use it for, etc. If they fail, they have to use AOL @ 33.6 or something, otherwise they go on to more tests, after passing those they may use higher speeds :D been my idea for a while... just bitter I suppose

wdlove > my friend back in Boston had problems with Nynex > Bell Atlantic > Verizon when he signed up for ADSL. Like 5 months wait, so he went to Earthlink who set him up in 2 weeks.

MacBandit > I've got Cartoon Network, I'm all set. Now they've started showing the Pink Panther weeknights @ 9:30 :)

Thanks again for the words of encouragement ;)

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Same here.

Although in 2004 I might have Satellite Internet Service available.

For the past 12 years I've been on dial-up. I am only willing to go more years if I can confirm that I can go through college with dial-up.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My problem was with Verizon also, according to them it was a computer glitch. My DSL is through Earthlink also. The order had to be put through manually, because of the problem. I may switch back if Earthlink doesn't lower it's prices like Verizon!

11. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I'm still using dial-up too. I'm hoping that DSL will come to my area soon. We have cable in the area, but in order to get the cable internet, you have to have digital cable that is like 200 channels, which I really don't need. :D I guess that I just need to be patient. :)

12. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

From what I gather, most of the phone lines in Japan were destroyed from the massive bombing campaigns during WWII, and so after the war they were all upgraded. The phone lines here now are very nice from what I've heard. Everyone and his mother has ADSL here; the Yahoo!BB people are out in force on street corners, train stations, convenience stores, etc getting people to sign up. I mentioned this on another thread, you can get 100Mb fiber-optic ADSL in a lot of places now, only about $50 a month. 1Mb is "old": everyone has at least 8 or 12. :rolleyes:
    This as opposed to some places in the U.S. I used to work for an ISP around Boston (as tech support) and we used to get calls from people living in the middle of no-where Maine or Vermont with telephone lines so old they couldn't get anything above 26k. For those people I really felt bad.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That's really odd to have to have digital cable also. Usually you can have just Cable Broadband with out the television portion. That's the way I have it. I have my television through a dish and internet through the cable. The reason I have the dish is because it costs half as much to get the few channels I want. Also with the dish I get a second receiver and Tivo all for half as much as I said before as opposed to standard digital cable with one receiver and no Tivo.