The loudest console in history

Discussion in 'Games' started by DISCOMUNICATION, Dec 28, 2005.

1. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Of all the consoles of all the generations which one was or is the loudest? You gotta imagine it would be one of the most current ones as they run the hottest. Xbox 360 or the original xbox? I can only judge from the ones I own and compare those to other peoples overlapping experiences. So, here's my list of consoles. When I say loud it is only just noticeable and really not that bad.

Dreamcast-loudest-fan is noticable. Can't really hear disc spinning over the fan, but it sqeeks and beeps during loads
    GameCube-loud-fans are noticeable, but not that distracting. Discs spin and load quietly (because of thier size?)
    PSTwo-quiet-it has no fan. I can hear the laser moving quietly every now and then, but the disc spins silently
    Saturn-quieter-old school. no fan. Disc spins quietly, but makes a noticeable crunching noise during loads
    N64-silent-I know this is not fair since cart systems make no noise, but I couldn't resist

Since only disc based consoles really make any noise there are just a few left so does anyone own an original PS2 and PSOne. What about the Xbox and the 360? How about the 3 versions of the NeoGeoCD and 3DO or the 2 versions of the Sega CD. Did anyone ever own the Jaguar CD?
    And what about the handheld systems? I remember the GameGear's constant buzz. Does the PSP make any noise with the sound off? It is technically disc based system.

2. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, my NES is silent :) :rolleyes:

... and more entertaining than my friends' PS2s/XBoxes/PSPs/etc

3. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

yea...especially when loading zones in the game "Untold Legends" pretty noticible whir...but with headphones on it isnt noticible (to me)

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Of the consoles I have, PS2 wins by default.

My NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/all handhelds are 100% silent. My GameCube is *barely* audible- I can only hear it when there is silence, and even then rarely. My PS2 is the only system I actually hear and compared to the others, it is loud. I don't own an XBox so I can't compare that.

Since my GC and PS2 are the only ones that actually make noise, and the GC's is barely audible, the PS2 wins.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Original X-box with Samsung drive. Can you say, "SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK"?

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

My thin PS2 makes LOUD seeking noises. However, this pales in comparison to the constant SQUEAK of an Xbox. Be glad you don't have one.

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

My GameCube is silent. I never really noticed my Dreamcast being loud.....or any of my Nintendo's or Sega's. The PS2 that I used to have was very loud though. I've never owned an Xbox.

8. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Old PS2 landing.

My (old) PS2, with fans, is definitely loud. The fans are so loud it covers the disc noise though...

Problem is: big tv, and normal-length controllers' wires, so I have to pull the PS2 out from under the TV and closer to where I sit. Like, not only enjoying the noise but trying to keep it close to me too... :rolleyes:

Gamecube is, in comparison, very quiet - but has fan noise too.

I just have to put the sound system very loud... ;)

9. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

You need a new gamecube if you can hear it at all, mine's practically silent.

My Dreamcast, however... it's seeking was loud as hell...

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The Jag CD was fanless, drive was a bit noisy.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The Xbox 360 is certainly the loudest so far
    Followed by my first PS2, that made huge amount of fan noise for some reason (the two that have since followed its demise are quieter).
    Xbox
    Philips CDI (that was horrid)
    3DO
    Saturn
    DreamCast
    Commodore Amiga Console (can't remember it's official name)
    Playstation

All the cartridge based console old and current (gba & ds) were and are very quiet. Less moving components I guess.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Loudness is different for me, I have my consoles hidden in a cupboard under my TV. Even during silent moments I cannot hear the cube. Just silence. Its wonderful and a little bit eerie.
    the Xbox I could probably hear through concrete walls. since I have no need for media streaming now and because of that horrendous noise the Xbox has had minimal use since christmas.

My NES is silent, obviously. playing Super Mario Bros 3 on a 2005FPW is just brilliant :)

13. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

My PS2 does make loud noises when loading certain games (especially for commentary on Pro Evo 5) but is otherwise nice and quiet, on a par with my Playstation.

Dreamcast certainly was noisy, but it seriously was a great console, it's such a shame it didn't get more popular in the mainstream. I still find the original Metropolis Street Racer to be one of the most complete driving games ever.

14. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

My XBox 360 is positively deafening when the drive is spinning.

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

My gamecube is pretty silent. I guess if the sound is turned off while i'm playing, and I strain really hard I can hear the fans. Maybe the disc spins a little bit and I can hear it, I don't know because I dont pay attention to it: it certainly isn't distracting.

16. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

1. The noise the dreamcast makes is not the fan, but the laser going back and forth, the humming noise is either the fan or the disc spinning.

2. The PSTWO (Slim model) DOES have a fan inside of it.

3. The PSP does indeed make a loading noise, it's not very loud, but can easily be heard with the sound off.

17. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

1. Dreamcast. My favorite fan noise anecdote: my best friend in high school has his girlfriend over for the night. The next morning he wakes up pretty early (she's still asleep) and decides he wants to get a game of NBA2k2 on...the fan totally wakes her up, she gets pissed it and leaves.

followed closely by my...

2. XBOX 360. Even it's freaking power supply has a fan!!!

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If everything is off (the TV and everything else in the room), when you press the power button you can hear the disk spin up and seek at first...barely.

19. NerdBoy macrumors member

NerdBoy

Totally. Even with the sound of, you can still hear the "whirr" of the disc.

20. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

My PS2 (old version) is extremely loud. Way louder than my PC with 4 fans and 2HDs in it. The noise prevents me from playing when im sleepy because I will get a headache. My gamecube is very quiet and when I had my dreamcast it was silent aswell.

21. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

go into an EB and put your head ~2-3 feet away(depending on how loud the store is, ya know ambient noise, people talking, and music from games/TVs) from the 360 (yes, in the plexi-glass case) and you can hear it loud and clear... by far the moisiest system, my DC was a bit loud, but thats in my bedroom with no other noises (maybe a laptop is on, so a tiny bit from that) but I can hear the 360 loud and clear in a store with all this other stuff... its pretty sad, and since a lot of times I turn the volume way down (almost mute) a 360 wouldbe awfully annoying for me, but if it was free I wouldnt complain :p

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The 360 seems to be louder than my Amiga when loading up a floppy disc. now THAT was loud! but made the most greatest 'floppy' noise ever.

I'm worried to think how loud the PS3 will be :eek:

Funny as well. Microsoft wanted you to keep your Xbox 360 on with some kind of TV notification thing (which I presume would only be possible if the 360 had aerial input+output) so you could always play your mates online as soon as they went on. what a silly idea.

23. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

In my experiences, PS2 is very quiet and Gamecube is a little louder but I can't hear either when I'm playing with the sound on.

I wouldn't be surprized if the Nintendo Revolution is one of the most quiet disc based console ever made, considering they aren't going for power.

24. vniow macrumors G4

Is it just me or does anyone else glance at the title of this thread and think "The loudest couple in history" instead?

25. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

My Gamecube is audible, but not terribly loud. The fan makes a quiet "woosh", and the spinning disc isn't terribly noisy. My Dreamcast on the other hand, is annoyingly loud. The fan in it is like 40mm or perhaps even smaller, and spins very very fast, thus making an annoying buzz. The seeks from the optical drive are also quite loud.

My friend has an xbox and although I wouldn't call any of the noises it makes "annoying", it certainly is loud and noticible, including the optical drive. Even worse, just having the system on seems to heat up the room in the matter of an hour or two.

Over all my GC is the quietest system that I have experience with. I don't know anyone with a PS2 so I can't really say.