The Louisiana Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am consistently amazed at how many people are here from Louisiana, a state that isn't known for it's technology.

So if you guys will forgive my little indulgence in the community forum....

How many people are here from Louisiana?

2. bmull macrumors newbie

Here here. Live in Slidell and work in New Orleans.

3. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Right here - live in West Monroe, go to school in Ruston, party in NOLA and BR.

:D

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I lived in NOLA for three years, and Lafayette for three years. My wife grew up in the Berry, and Lafayette.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

6. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

I was stationed at Barksdale AFB in Shreveport LA until Aug 2002. I was in the south 4 years too long.... Shreveport is a shi*Hole, and driving I-49 south has nothing good to offer. Ruston sucks, BR smells, and Monroe is a craphole also.

Coming from Cupertino Ca, maybe I exoected too much, but I hated the racism, and slow thinking of MOST of the residents.

Not to offend anyone from LA, but the only thing I felt was decent aboout LA was NO, and that was because you can party your ass off. It is a beautiful city as well.

The other good thing about LA is the open roads, and backroads. If you ride motorcycles, its good to get your 1000cc roaring.

All in all, La sucks!

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'll agree somewhat with that post; the only good thing I've ever really seen in the deep South was New Orleans.
    A diamond in the rough for sure.

8. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

9. Mac til death macrumors regular

Mississippi here.... just very close to Memphis (so this whole area generally speaking is the "memphis area")

The Germantown Apple Store is really in Memphis. ;)

The Mississippi River flows into and out of the Memphis River....

ok I'll stop now. I need a hair cut.

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm here...I claim New Orleans...specifically the outlining area of Kenner... ;)

And yes, there are quite a few people hailing from the Southeast around here. :D

11. iGav macrumors G3

New Orleans is on my list of places to visit next summer when I'm doing the eastern side of the U.S... :D

For the jazz, and to meet the fabled mr. eye, and to corrupt him on a night out on the absinthe european style.... ;) :D :p

12. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Cool! Are you making a MacRumors Tour of the US? :) If you and eye don't mind you should let us know when you are down, and we can have a mini MR fest. :D

13. iGav macrumors G3

Well I've done the West Coast and Pacific Northwest, so I'm figuring that the next destination is the East Coast.

I didn't actually know where New Orleans was until they had those nasty floods (either late last year or early this year, I can't remember) and I got to see a map of that part of the U.S., I knew New Orleans was South, like Deep South, but didn't realise it is where it is basically...

So that'll be my starting point, then Florida where I happen to have relatives, I'm also hoping to get to see a Shuttle launch, although that could be a problem because they don't pre-advance launch dates anymore so I hear, and from there, straight up the East Coast.

There's quite a few MR people I'm hoping/would like to hook up with while I'm over there <every East Coast MR member starts to shudder and begin booking month long Oz hollidays for next summer!! heh-heh!!> eye and bttm down south, D in D.C. and j-Lo and Evo in NYC...

I'm coming to corrupt them.... all of them!! heh-heh!! :D

<Edit: Oh sh*t and Moxie as well, because he has a stonking taste in music, there's a few more people too, but I can't remember now, cos the wine is flowing.... :D >

14. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Originally from Baton Rouge (Am in college in Albuquerque right now -- No good colleges in LA). I don't think Louisiana culture mixes very well with other cultures...Most of the people that move to Louisiana from other places hate it, but it seems like most of the people (like me) who are from there love it. I know I'll be going back when I'm done with school:)

15. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Colleges?

Although I think the Bay Area has a better selection of top schools, Stanford, Santa Clara, Berkeley, etc... Louisiana has a good selection of school as well.

Centenary in Shreveport, Tulane, Xavier, and LSMSA (Louisiana School for Math, Sciene and Art) are well respected.

Please tell what school you are attending in Albuquerque that is above and beyond these institutions.

16. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Re: Colleges?

Centenary, Tulane: Unreasonably Expensive
    Xavier: OK, but limited in options

LSMSA is a high school, so that's out of the question :rolleyes:.

I'm at UNM in Albuquerque, which, while not as good as Tulane, is better than any of the state universities (i.e. reasonably priced schools) in Louisiana.

Basically, Louisiana's "Top Schools" are all private schools that have priced themselves ($30,000+/year before R&B) out of my range.

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

oh most definitely man... :D

if u make it down here...it'll be a gasser! :eek: ;)

18. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Out of State Tuitution?

Sorry, about LSMSA, I forgot the name of the college, its a small private school louisiana school or something like that.

So out of state tuition is still cheaper for you? Finally, why didnt you look to Texas schools? UTA, or dallas schools, are probably cheaper, and have a higher level of education.

My point being, its not that Louisiana has "no good colleges" but rather UNM was a better choice for you.

19. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Re: Out of State Tuitution?

Point well taken. There actually are very few private colleges out here in NM. If I was in the market for that, I would have probably found it better to stay in Louisiana

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

At some point I would like to visit Lousiana. It would be neat to meat some of you guys!

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Man, I'm all about getting myself down there and getting on that grub...

<cue Homer voice>

Mmmmm....cajun cookin'...

:D

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ha ha...hell yeah man... :D

there's nothing like the food around here... ;)

23. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Yup, my wife and I went to a restaurant tonight called Gator Cove. I had Fried Alligator, Fried Catfish, shrimp jambalaya, and a baked potato. :D

Attached Files:

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

and another thing that never ceases to amaze me...

the amount of fried food here...

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that for you sake they use vegetable oil. That they change the oil frequently. I like to have fried food occasionally.

The one that I remember fondly from childhood is fried potatoes. My mom used a slicer and made them very thin!