The lowest form of Political Ad in a generation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I thought I'd seen it all. The Bush campaign has taken, what I assume are the ads pulled from Moveon.org's contest - which included footage of Hitler, and interspersed the Hitler speeches with speeches of Kerry, Gore, Gephardt, and Michael Moore to give the message of equivalence of Nazis and Democrats. I would remind everyone the original "Hitler ads" were submitted among hundreds of other ads and pulled by Moveon.org as quickly as they became aware of their content. Now Bush/Cheney, in what can only be described as gutter politics, has consciously used and approved the use of Nazi comparisons in what is a historic low point in Presidential politics. Take a look for yourself:

Bush campaign

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i understand your outrage.

the ad, as it stands, is actually kind of confusing. at the end, i got what they were saying, but in the middle i couldn't help but wonder why they would use footage comparing bush to hitler. they're relying on the idea that the act of comparing bush to hitler is more outrageous than the parallels. i think they may have miscalculated.

and what's w/ the "wild-eyed" thing? is that a common dem slur? 'cuz i found that kind of confusing, as well.

also embedded in the message: it doesn't matter what you do, so long as you're optimistic. huh?!?

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

4. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The message of the ad is that Democrats are as "wild-eyed" in their criticism of Bush and as demagogic in their speeches as Hitler. Unless one is quick and paying close attention it is not even clear where the Hitler footage comes from or what the muted shoots of Bush are about. All one hears is the speeches of Gore, Kerry and the other Democrats along with the ranting of Hitler. The use of such footage has never, ever, before been part of a major party's ad campaign. This is outrageous and will backfire on Rove and Bush, but watch, if they have to back off it will be with statements of equivalence of Fahrenheit 9/11 with this ad.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm as far as i understood hitler is saying
    "..dann werden wir wieder emporsteigen, genau wie die..."

which is a part of the "Aufruf an das Deutsche Volk", 10. Februar 1933 - Sportpalast
    http://www.lsg.musin.de/Geschichte/natsoz/hitler-feb33.htm

"Wenn wir selbst dieses deutsche Volk emporführen durch eigene Arbeit, durch eigenen Fleiß, eigene Entschlossenheit, eigenen Trotz, eigene Beharrlichkeit, dann werden wir wieder emporsteigen, genau wie die Väter einst auch Deutschland nicht geschenkt erhielten, sondern selbst sich schaffen mussten."

"If we lead this German people up by our own work, by our own diligence, own determination, own defiance, own persistence, then become we will rise again, exactly like the fathers once also Germany not got for free, but had to create it by theirselves."

8. wwworry macrumors regular

If you lump in with the democratic candidates what one person submitted to an OPEN call for entries from an unaffliated advocacy group then the democrats could just as easily make an ad that: has bush talking smack about God then cuts to calls for the rapture and white supremecy etc.

It is quite low misleading and confusing. After seeing the Irish interview I wonder if Bush is even capable of deeper more nuanced interpretations. Them bad angry. Me good. It is a diservice to our country.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Amen, it shows just how low the politics will be till November. It seems to me that Bush wants a "win" and not a "loss" as he had in 2000. Meaning that he wants the popular vote as well as the electoral vote. He wants his vindication. I also think that it is a matter of family pride. He wants to do what his daddy wasn't able to do.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

:eek: Sorry I had a bad history vision...

11. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Why is it that all of George Bushs ads are about why John Kerry is wrong/bad/etc?

You'd think after four years in office he'd want to promote what is good about what he has done.

On the other hand the ads I have seen from Kerry are about Kerry and why he wants to be President.

Interesting difference. I think we have to go back and ask ourself the simple question. Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago. I'd have to say no.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I love that question! It has guided me since Reagan. mentioned it. the answer then as it is now today, no. Clinton asked the question, "Are you better off today, than you were eight years ago?", the answer then was a resounding yes.

Maybe that should be the lead question of any incumbent during a press conference or debate.

I think that it may make for a more interesting election today.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd love to hear someone ask bush if he knows what the minimum wage currently is.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Or more importantly what it should be by those handy calculators that say we are paying less for gas that we did in the 70's.

BTW, the current minimum wage should be in the range of $7.50 to $8.00 an hour using inflation calculators.

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Better yet, ask him how a high school graduate is suppose to *live* on it!

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Particularly now that even state colleges are hard to get in to, and seeing double digit increases in tuition. Despite what some may say it is getting harder to gain the education to make better of ones self. Not impossible, just much more difficult. More of the have and have nots.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I post the news article in full only to show both sides have to answer for how low the Bush campaign has fallen in order to get elected. It is now up to Bush to show that Kerry's camp sanctioned the pulled ad from MoveOn. In the very least the Republicans my be right that a denouncement from the Kerry camp would have been in order. But since the Bush camp can use the F-word and Kerry's can't i guess it is a case of glass houses.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

chip - do you have a link to that article? thanks

19. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Here's the Kerry Campaign's response to the ad:

John Kerry for President

zim, the post by Chip is a Washington Post article.

edit: it is acutally an AP article, but the link is to the WaPo.

20. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

After four years in office he doesn't have to waste commercial time talking about what he's done while in office we should already know that information.

21. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

I don't know about you but my goal in life is to not make the minimum wage but many times more than the minimum wage. If they raise the minimum wage do we folks who make above that get pay raises equal percantage wise to the minimum wage increase? Nope, we get screwed. Minimum wage should be for those high school kids living at home. If all you are doing is making the minimum wage don't go getting anyone pregnant.[​IMG]

22. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

Actually perhaps Kerry should've publically denounced Moveon.org if he wasn't sanctioning them?

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Or it could be because there is very little positive to say...
    That is most people's goal...but not everyone can be CEOs or white-collar professionals...some people have to be ditch-diggers and fast food workers. It may not be mentally-challenging work, but it is work, and those people deserve to be able to live some modicum of a decent life through their efforts...as far as pay-raises for everyone else, well I support that too, wages have not really kept pace with inflation, but that is something you will have to take up with companies, unless you want government regulation of Industry...free-markets, remember...you want to keep costs down...
    Moveon.org held an open contest for commercials...the Nazi one was an entry...they rejected it...so why must Moveon be to blame? And why is it Kerry's responsibility to denounce an entry disavowed from an organization not part of his Campaign? It would have been different if it was on Kerry's Campaign site. But it is on Bush's OFFICIAL Campaign site, not a right-wing independent organization comparable to moveon.org...wtf?

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i want someone to ask bush if he can state the minimum wage because i suspect he doesn't know it. the question is: is it important for the president to be aware of the current value of the federal minimum wage?

and sly, yes, i do work at a multiple of the minimum wage, thank you. between 8x and 34x, depending on what i'm doing.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac