the luckiest man alive

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dudewheresmymac, Feb 9, 2004.

1. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

My friend just bought a sawtooth g4 dual 500 that was still under apple care off ebay for 500 bucks because he had always been interested in Macs. After about 2 weeks of use it simply stopped booting up. the power would go on but nothin would happen. So he took it to an apple store nearby to get it checked out. They found that i was a motherboad failure that was covered under the warrenty. However, apple doesnt make the parts to repair that particular problem. So you know what they gave him... a new Dual 2Ghz G5!!!

thought i would tell you all so you can lothe him along with me

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Can I be the first to say [​IMG], sounds like [​IMG] to me, I can't believe they'd do this. If by some minor miracle they did, then the best you could hope for is a stock 1.6Ghz.

edit: typo

3. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I'd like to believe this! Maybe I should go on ebay and buy some old G4s still under applecare and fry their motherboards using static or something. :p I've fried a PM 7200 that way (accidentally, of course).

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I don't really buy this story. Even if apple felt obligated to give the guy a new dualie, the 1.8 is still a better machine, and cheaper for them.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You should get your friend to tell the story - with pics of the receipt of the work done/computer exchange. He'd have that.

I had a coworker send his TiPB back for repairs and he got a mobo upgrade - and it was on the work order.

D

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

a few reasons for doubt:

-did sawtooth ever come out with dual 500? (a quick look at apple-history.com says no.) there is a dual 500 gigabit ethernet. it's codename was Mystic, perhaps this one is also lumped under sawtooth?

-sawtooth came out in the fall of 1999. this one must have been bought really at the tail end of the cycle because applecare wouldn't have been valid at the time of g5 PM introduction. Mystic mentioned above came out in summer of 2000, then the story is a bit more plausible.

-and as others said, i really doubt apple will give you the top of the line machine to replace one that is at least 2 years old.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'd like to hear whatever sort of logic is behind that :rolleyes:

And I don't buy the story either. You can still get drive sleds and other parts for beige G3's, so why wouldn't they be able to get a logic board for an early G4.

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Not True

I work at an Apple Reailer with a service department and they can order almost every part under the sun, including this motherboard from the Global Service Exchange. Even if they couldn't, I'm sure Apple's first instinct would be to take a loss of $2600 for no real reason.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sounds like this is a work of fiction, never trust much of what you hear when they have that little title of Newbie under their name. reminds me of Neatgekko and claims of 3 ghz dual G5s coming out last month:rolleyes: I have to agree with edesignuk. whats a cobbler?

11. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I could actually see this happening, although not with a Dual 2GHz. More like a dual 1.8.

The reason for this is that if the computer is replaced, Apple provides all the functionality found in the old computer in the replacment. This would include dual processors. Replacments are also always from new stock, so a Dual 1.8 G5 wouldn't be out of the question, although it does seem highly unlikely.

12. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Sounds like BS to me. If it isn't then it makes sense that a dual 2Ghz would be the logical replacement for a dual 500Mhz based on the fact it's the current equivelant model.

Fast

Single 400Mhz G4 / Single 1.6Ghz G5

Faster

Dual 450Mhz G4 / Dual 1.8Ghz G5

Fastest

Dual 500Mhz G4 / Dual 2Ghz G5

Seems like a fair trade to me when you ignore the obvious huge spec differences and just look at the mac's position in the powermac product matrix.

Then again.

What's the name of that sport commentator in the UK?

Jimmy something.

Got a bit of chin I think.

Jimmy Hill!!!

That's it ;)

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering dual G4s are still available from Apple as new BTO machines, sounds like this story is a load of...
    [​IMG]

And the Sawtooth was replaced by the GigEthernet machine, of which this machine should have been included.

Sawtooth basically had the UniNorth version that didn't support DP, that min version number you see on XLR8.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont know if i believe this. its not that very old of a machine. not that it really mattes but i would still have to see it to beleive it, that is not typical apple procedures.

iJon

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i agree, a fairer replacement probably would have been a dual G4 MDD PM.

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I believe it.
    I had a first-generation iPod and the screen went black. I took it in to an Apple store. They said they didn't have any replacement screens so they gave me Steve's LearJet.

17. dudewheresmymac thread starter macrumors member

whatever you guys he got a new G5 whether you want to believe it or not..

18. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sure, good for him... the only thing i hate is when this kind of story goes rampant and before we know it, there'll be someone complaining about them not getting the "upgrade" to the latest and the greatest from apple and saying the customer service sucks. :rolleyes:

obviously, this is an isolated incident. i highly doubt about the sustainability of a company offering customer service to upgrade a 2+ computer with the best current one available as a part of its official of policy.

but, wow, what a deal for the guy. :D

19. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Nice to see you're getting in the spamming mood.

If true, props to him. If not, we should find "dudewheresmymac" and stuff him into a PC Mini-ATX case.

TEG

20. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

OT

From Websters online dictionnary:
    "A person who makes or repairs shoes."

But I'm quite sure edesignuk was refering to something else :D
    Let's put it this way: there's a 50% chance that you have two and a 50% chance you have none... ;)

It's English slang as in from England.
    "Oh cobblers!"
    "What a load of cobblers!"
    "I'll kick you in the cobblers if you don't watch it!"

21. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I believe him. From my experience, Apple will give you a machine closest to the one that you bought in terms of price (let's say this guy got screwed and had to buy himself a new mac, and would have bought a machine for the same price). This doesn't make much sense to me, but I believe this is how Apple works.
    -Chase

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: OT

Do they make any allowances for those attempting to get a Darwin Award, or those that make a half-hearted attempt an lose only one?

23. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

My attempt at humor. Your's fell flat to on that interesting signature.... no viable candidates? Blinded by the right, dude..... :)

24. Calliander macrumors member

It's possible that this story could be true. The Dual 500Mhz machine is a gigabit ethernet model, also known as "Mystic". But, the power button and layout of the machine is the same as the AGP graphics models, so it's easy to confuse it with a Sawtooth.

However, I am looking at the logic board for a Dual 500Mhz machine in GSX right now which is labeled as "In Stock". That part about them not making the part anymore makes the story less believable because the part probably would still be out of stock. Or, they would have said that the part was out of stock and backordered. There are no parts constraints on the MLB, either.

On the other hand, the described problem does sound like a logic board issue and the fact that the Dual 500 was the top of the line doesn't sound totally unreasonable. Though, I would think they would give the friend a Dual 1.25 G4 before handing out a Dual 2. It does make a bit of sense, though.