The M$ PC

Discussion in 'Community' started by drastik, Jul 11, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I've heard stirrings that M$ is considering a move into the hardware market. Has anyone heard about this, or am I crazy? If they are, maybe they will shoot themselves in the foot.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I too have heard rumors of this, I'm not quite sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing.
    On the one hand maybe it would help the OS, if, like apple m$ made both the hardware and the software the whole platform would be more stable.
    But then on the other they would be so powerfull (all that m$ cash backing it) that it would totally smuther the market.

3. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

my thought is that M$ would be asking for more anti-trust action. I would not put it past them to limit Windows to M$ hardware, effectively crippiling all the other hardware makers. Apple does this, of course, you can't clone macs or X, but the eefect that M$ would have doing this is stronomical. Entire industries would be forced to buy exclusively from one dealer.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ARGH! :eek: If m$ were to do as you have suggested (makeing winblows run ONLY on m$ hardware) they would take over the friggin world!

:( :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

5. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

I don't think they could get away with it. People would revolt, contracts would break and corporations would sue. The government isnt a hughe threat to M$, but somebody like MIcheal Dell, who has drive and swaets money, might be.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I wouldn't mind seeing M$ stop selling versions of its OS for all computers, and only build its own machine. That would never happen, because it would effectively cut M$'s profits by an enormous amount.

7. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I would LOVE it if MS had the nerve to make it's own hardware. Dell, Gateway, Compaq, and all the huge computer powers would be feel totally dissed and have NO incentive to even try to ship with Windows on their boxes.
    The backlash might include the development of a 3rd major OS (possible developed by AOL/Netscape) to compete with Windows. The more OSes, the better, I say.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

But there would be a revolt almost overnight when people got up in the morning only to find the BSOD everywhere... :eek: :D Billy-bob gates would be immediately, and publically, executed in the most horrific way possible... As he deserves. :eek: :D

9. Quark macrumors regular

Wireless Networking.... M$ AirPoop

Microsoft announced, today, that they are going into the Wireless networking hardware business.

802.11b

Quark

10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Like all entities Microsoft will continue to expand until it implodes.

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Could you imagine a Dell, HP or Sony with OS X? That would be really cool and Apple would make billions off OS sales:) Only prob is getting intel to make the chip compatible with the mac OS. Lets all watch M$ shoot itself;)

12. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

13. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Have you seen the Microtel PCs?

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nice to see the company & retailer that made the splash for computers lacking the M$ tax expanding with Lindows.

About the only retailer in the world that has a chance against M$ is Wal-Mart, after all they rake in about a billion $'s in sales every day and a half. :eek:

Would be even nicer to see a retailer known for making their suppliers grab their ankles smiling lustfully at Bill Gates.