the mac equivalent to ctrl+alt+del

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by klyau6, Jun 5, 2004.

1. macrumors member

Greetings--

I recently bought my first apple computer, and was wondering what the mac equivalent was to ctrl+alt+del for windows machines. i ask this becuase my computer will just keep showing the spinning color wheel every now and then and it won't stop and it bugs the hell out of me.

thanks!

2. Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

On a Mac it's called force quit, and the keyboard shortcut is command-option-escape. Alternatively, you can choose "Force Quit..." from the Apple menu.

3. thread starter macrumors member

4. macrumors 68020

additionally, if you need to close an invisible process, you can open an app called "Activity Monitor". it resides in the utilities folder of your applications folder. good luck, welcome to the mac, and if you have any more questions, we're happy to help!

5. Moderator emeritus

Welcome to the dark side! :)

You may find that you're short on RAM when you see the rainbow cursor for any length of time. It's somewhat typical of brand new machines, as they're rarely outfitted with enough memory.

6. macrumors 68040

JFreak

if you really want to know what's going on under the hood, open the terminal app and type "top" in there. you will see a lot of useful information, if you can read it ;)

(it quits by pressing the 'q' key, if someone wonders...)