The Mac Invasion at my School.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lu0s3r322, Jul 14, 2006.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Let's start of with some background info of my school:

Adlai E. Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire, IL.
    Over 4,500 students, many live in high income areas.
    Over 600 faculty
    77 acres of land, 646,521 sq. ft of space, 5 baseball fields, 3 soccer fields, 8 tennis courts.
    A performing arts center that rotates!
    #2 in the state.

now here's what we have computer-wise

each of our 340 teachers has either an ibook or powerbook
    46 xserve servers
    900 Desktop macs composed of eMacs, iMac G5's w/o iSights, iMac g3's and 2-3 classrooms full of PowerMacs.
    900 iBooks all in mobile labs each with their own airport base (clamshells and white)
    10 framed b&w Think Different Posters
    video production rooms with green screens, Final Cut Studio, and im guessing plenty of PowerMacs

and today i saw two full classrooms where there were setuping iBooks i think, they might even had been macbooks but it's not likely.

we also just got a new shipment of Intel iMacs with built in iSights, about 50 of them.

i wish i worked in the tech labs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

lucky. my high school had 1 mac lab on the whole campus for newspaper. it had about 5 b/w G3 and about 10 g4s, and 3 G5s

3. menziep macrumors 6502a

Man your school sounds great, yeah i wish i worked in there IT Dept (i work in my schools IT Dept.)

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

:eek:

Why do ya'll need a PAC that rotates...? And 5 baseball fields...? And 8 tennis courts...? And all those computers...? :confused:

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

My high school uses dells :)mad: ), and i think we have a lab full of imac G4s for photoshop class or something.

6. lu0s3r322 thread starter macrumors 6502a

our PAC consisted of one main seating area and two rear seating areas that rotate when necessary. So if classes have a guest speaker or something they can just sit in a rotate seating area and they dont have to take up the whole center.

we have so many fields because we a leader in sports. Our varsity football is one of the best in the state and we have numerous sports: baseball, soccer, lacrosse, cricket, field hockey

7. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

A school built for the fund trust babies, great. Although, I guess they have to put you kids somewhere to keep you from getting beat up.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't know...I just don't understand these mega-schools. Don't you just feel lost in a sea of people? My high school was 800 and my college 3000.

9. menziep macrumors 6502a

Heres background info of my school:

Bramcote Park B&E School
    . - (Site not My design)[Thank God]
    Over 700 students, many live in Low- Mid income areas.
    Over 70 faculty
    2-4 acres of land, 2 Football fields, 1 tennis courts.
    A performing arts center (Soon to be the second Bussiness Suite (No More Drama or Music))

Computer Stuff

All Teachers have Dell laptops
    4 servers (Compact, Dell and 2 Cutom Built)
    200 Desktop Dells (all same Models)
    50 Dell Laptops (For Bussiness)
    Most Servers, All Desktops and Some Laptops Are Brand New

I spent the better part of a week connecting them all up with the IT Dept.

Also i work for my IT Dept doing testing of new Hardware and software (and currently the schools Intranet and FTP) and also securing network resouors.

Please Post Your Comments Below

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Our PAC has an area in the back that has a curtain that you slide to form a "separate" room. Works well enough...

11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Such a device would only confuse him.

12. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

What an absolute load of rubbish (regarding the OP). I don't see how anyone can justify that sort of thing, considering the disparity that exists in other less fortunate school districts.

13. lu0s3r322 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i know we're a bunch of rich bastards.

my family is middle-income so at least im regular. there are a lot of rich people though, i only know 2 personally. we also get a lot of donations.

but we do help the community. every year the entire school gives 260 families christmas presents, food, bikes, you name it. all of our football game tickets, sales and everything goes back to the community. 250 kids participated in Hunger Awardness Fast we had. We had a free daycare and during the summer, we have commnity swimming programs, sports, camps, etc.

so we dont take our school for granted, we give back, we dont just bask in our glory.

14. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Wow - that is a fancy looking school.

Our middle school was in the rich part of town, so we had a computer lab, too. Of course, ours had a bunch of Apple ][e's and //C's, a couple Apple III's and eventually one or two of those really fancy new Apple Macintoshes.

Wow - I'm old. I don't suppose the phrase, "Those tall ships really brought a lift to the spirit of the country at the Bicentennial" has a lot of context in this crowd.:p

[Edit]:
    Is this so you can always have the right stage configurations to put on Les Miserables? :p

15. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    damn...

when i was at school we had one PC (a 386?) in the library, and then a room full of BBC Micros, which were complete cack. i think the year i left they installed a room full of PCs, but again they were crap, i was doing way more on my Commodore Amiga.

think i'll have to start applying to schools for a job then

16. mulze22 macrumors regular

Jeez. That is so lucky. Our school has one room with macs and that is a straight up computer class. It sucks. I wish our school was like yours.

17. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

How about selling 1/2 your IT kit and donating the proceeds to a school that can't even afford paper and pencils?

18. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Wow. That's amazing.

My school has "Think Different" posters @ least! And a few G5s! :eek: :)

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm jealous, but not pissed off. I think I want to move there!

It's a discussion my wife and I have been having lately: regarding moving to better our lives and the school experience of our children. Way too many obstacles where we are.

20. lu0s3r322 thread starter macrumors 6502a

actually we gave over $10,000 to a school in new orleans after Hurricane Katrina so they could open again and i think we do give our old iMac G3's away to other schools. At the end of the year everyone can opt to give their school supplies to less fortunate schools, I did. Plus we help senior citizens, soldiers in Iraq, and disabled kids.

21. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Lucky you... every PC in my school is a Dell save for a few IBM machines that are absolutely dreadful to use.

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

23. Silentwave macrumors 68000

WOW! I'm at one of the best private schools in Miami, and we have awful computers. All custom built, I swear they're still using 386s and somehow running XP. Ugh. Everything is terrible. They've been using ancient CRTs up till now, so when they die they replace them with 4:3 LCDs. Not that it matters, if it has even a 16mb graphics card i'll eat my hat. It honestly takes us a solid minute and change to open word! it opens via rosetta 5 times faster :mad: and we still have to use floppy disks for certain classes. Its ridiculous- especially when i haven't had a computer with a floppy drive in the past 4+ years. Finally they're getting the idea with kids using thumb drives...ugh.

I'm almost certain that the only computers that have anything faster than 1.6GHz (netburst, has to be- pentium M and other architectures don't ever get this slow) or with more than 256 RAM are the 8 computers we have in the video room (my personal hangout). Though windoze, they're running snappily with a decent amount of RAM and some decently fast chips- though this year I want to convince my teacher to upgrade to Conroe :p (well, at least for the back computer that the super duper kids like me get to use :rolleyes: )

24. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

pink-pony115

25. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Heck, when I was in High School, we had one computer, and about 60 terminals. Without monitors — you'd type something on the keyboard and it would echo to paper, and the computer would type back its responses.

I think getting to school required walking in the snow uphill both ways, too, or something like that...