the .mac membership, please tell us about it

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Apr 25, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2004
    The Evergreen State College
    hey i was one of the very upset people when apple started to charge for email so I discontinued my email address. To those of you that have an account can you please tell us about it? Is Apple still doing offers for new members? Do you like the mail programs and what other advantages of the .mac membership are there? -n
  2. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I have .mac and AFAIK they don't still do introductory offers though currently you get money off if you get it when you buy a mac.

To me the mail feature isn't the main reason I have it although having an easy to remember email address that isn't bombarded with spam and adverts is a plus when I'm travelling. I use most of the features on there. To me the integration with isync and the ability to sychronise multiple machines easily is probably the single most useful thing it does.

I also use homepage and iDisk and the ease of use of those is nice - if only idisk was a bit faster. IT can be quite slow accessing it from the UK. I generally don't have idisk syncing on because it is so slow - and also Photoshop didn't seem to like it much.

All in all for me it's just about worth it at a push and I will be renewing in May. That said with a bit of effort you could most definately do much of what .mac does yourself and it would cost a lot less. The real clincher for me is the level of integration and the fact I can't be bothered to mess about getting it all to work with non-.mac servers.

If you're only going to use .mac for mail don't ain't worth it.
  3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    There have been at least two different threads recently that have delt with this issue. .Mac is definately not for everyone. There are many benefits of .Mac, the major one being lots of goodies all in one place and very easy to use. Check out these two forums for more details both for and against it:

I think the ease of use are what drew me to .Mac. I use the email as my only email address and have never had issues (except for a weird password deal occasionally, but has never kept me from getting email, etc.

I use the backup for all my classroom documents (tests, etc...don't tell my students they are on the web ;) Backup just does it automatically so I don't have to worry about it...ever! I use iCal online publishing so my wife can check out calendar out while she is traveling. I really like the online bookmark and address book as well. Basically, no matter what kind of computer I am surfing on I can always have access to my personal bookmarks. This works by simply logging into .mac and then a very small window opens up with all your bookmarks as hyperlinks which you simply click *Your bookmarks are backed up each time you schedule Backup to run with your iDisk.* Having access to your address book and web accessed mail is great as well. I use homepage to post movies and pics for my familoy to view my kids on. It takes seconds to post a dozen pics directly from iPhoto to your homepage and there are many templates to use to make it look slick. If you have two macs you can sync them so everything stays the same on both- bookmarks, addresses, ical, etc. There has been tons of free stuff available for .Mac users. PhotoSuite (like Photoelements) was free for all .Mac users. There was offers of free digital prints from Kodak, and other software programs and some basic games. They tend of update these offerings every 9 months or so and it is about time for them to do it again.

Good luck,