The Mac notebook cover-up?

Discussion in 'Community' started by muire, Feb 24, 2005.

1. muire macrumors member

I thought it was just a fluke. But now I'm convinced something is up. While watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition on Sunday (yes, with the girlfriend), I noticed that the Apple logo on the front side of Ty's PowerBook was covered with a piece of paper that was simply taped on.

Then while watching this week's episode of Joey, at the very beginning of the show, there is an iBook sitting on the table where for some odd reason the Apple logo is no where to be found on the front side.

I thought Apple would love all these "plugs"? Usually you see Mac's in plain view (ie. Seth's iMac on the OC)...Does Apple not want their logo to be everywhere?

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

:rolleyes:

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Maybe the folks who produce Extreme Makeover and Joey don't want to give away product placement for free.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

True

and Apple may not want to be seen in a certain show that was about something they don't represent or support. So if a show didn't cover the Apple logo up, Apple might go after them for giving placing the Apple logo/brand in an unappropiate setting according to Apple.

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

This has been discussed to death here. Almost 90% of the TV shows that use apple products cover up the logo. Said, done, search!

BEN

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

lol i actually watched the OC tonight for some reason (damn good show though) and saw his HUGE g4 imac. it looked like it took up half the room and really surprised me

6. muire thread starter macrumors member

eeek. sorry.

Hence the "macrumors newbie" under my name I guess. I didn't know it was such a common occurrence. I just noticed it twice in the same week is all.

My bad.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not that big of a deal, but if apple doesn't pay for the placement, many places will want the logo covered, so they dont seem to be supporting any brand

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How could Apple think Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is less appropriate than The OC? :confused:

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Especially considering the hot 'n' heavy makeout scene in this week's episode? (Between Marissa and Alex... two girls. Hey, it's on Fox!)

No, this is a simple matter of either (1) The O.C. is being paid for the placement since it's a popular show or (2) the producers of the show are displaying the Apple logo just because they want to.

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Because apple isn't paying for the product placement and they dont have time to make a list of appropriate and non appropriate settings that apple products can be used in.

BTW, I learned an interesting fact tonight. Product placement for the Apprentice costs 2 mil :eek: !

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I dunno, I guess it would be other reason, that Extreme Makeover doesn't want to give Apple free product placement? :confused:

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Per show?!

Well how about when Opera did that car give away. If my memory serves me well.....damn I can't forgot the name of the car company! Guess it wasnn't such a good AD then :p (Was it Saturn? I know it was G6) But didn't they donate the cars for Opera? So instead of paying for ad space, they just spend the money on the donation.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Maybe I should've said "How can ANYBODY think Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is less appropriate than The OC?"

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Could the producers of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition approached Apple for a product placement fee and Apple refused to pay up, so they said "Fine, we'll just have to cover up your logo, since we're not advertising for you for free"? (I understand Apple NEVER pays any such fees). And perhaps the producers of The OC are okay not getting any money from Apple?

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It's Oprah, not Opera. And they were Pontiac G6 cars... actually quite nice.

One thing they DIDN'T mention was who was going to be paying the taxes on those gifts... I expect a lot of those cars ended up being sold by the recipients because they couldn't afford to pay several thousand dollars of extra income tax (yes, they'd be taxed as income).

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Yep, just to have your one product on one episode costs 2 million. :eek:

17. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Really? I never knew that. I'v seen in a lot of movies where apple products are shown with the logo and I just assumed that apple payed for it.

18. iBook macrumors regular

Not to be too OT, but here's the link for those who want more info. The point of the promotion was to give a car to people who "deserved" but couldn't afford a car.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/22/news/newsmakers/oprah_car_tax/?cnn=yes

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well what apple has going for them is that their computers look good, so many people would rather have macs in their scenes because of the look quality of them, rather than a regular pc

im sure that apple does pay for some of their placements, but many are just done by the ones making the movie or tv show

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think you've got it. Note that Extreme Makeover is one big giant hour-long product placement. Therefore I expect their policy is "you don't pay, you don't get exposure." Apple's product placement policy clashes with ABC's, so the result is the slip o' paper and Scotch Tape treatment.