The .Mac Referall Discount Connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chameeeleon, Aug 19, 2005.

1. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    I was just reading on Apple about how you can get a 20% discount on your .Mac renewal for every referall you convince to sign up for .Mac. Being the cheapskate that I am, and having a .Mac account that's about to expire, I'd like to renew the service but really can't justify what comes to $170 Cdn with taxes for crippled hosting service and internet storage. I am however intrigued by the upcoming Backup 3 and have hopes Apple will really set their sights on a .Mac overhaul, and for now it isn't as though I don't use the service. I know that others share my feelings, and have mentioned a price decrease would tempt them back.

Well, some cables in my brain clicked - there must be some typical people out there who are attracted to .Mac, as I once was.

What I'm proposing is that anyone about to buy a first-time subscription to .Mac private messages me their email, that I can use for my nice discount. Other .Mac users about to get subscriptions can post their emails here, and when future subscribers can private message them.
    Then, when it comes time for the new subscribers who gave me a break to renew their acccounts, they too can get other new subscribers as referrals.
    Sort of like the whole Gmail thread when it was still in the hands of only a select few.

I imagine this whole operation might be better as a website, complete with web badges that everyone could post on their website... anyone think this is a promising enough plan to lend a hand? Or does everyone think I'm nuts?
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I would put this along the same lines as the free iPod scams
  3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...kind of cyber-mooching.....My account expires shortly and I didn't want to pay the "almost $170cdn" either, but I did want to keep my what I did was order the retail package from for $109 + tax and free shipping, came to $125 cdn it in the mail today in fact - maybe you just want to try that......oh yeah!
  4. chameeeleon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    Fair enough, lol. My whole description did seem a little ".com bust" styley. Actually, I've just started to look into alternative hosting methods to put my website on for a more affordable fee.
    I just thought it was worth a try, but now that I think about it I realize most .Mac newtimers are probably also Mac newtimers, and the crowd here probably all turned .Mac down for a reason. I guess I'm just having trouble letting go of .Mac merely because of the branding - I know it's not worth it (to me), but I liked being a "member".
    Duff-man - solid advice! I didn't know Amazon had it that cheap, and that option feels a little more honest (although Apple IS openly promoting "Tell 5 friends and get a year free" on their .Mac homepage - why not push my luck?). I think I will indeed go that option (I'm still open to referral' emails though).