Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I thought it might save some time for everyone if we consolodated the information regarding macbook accessories to a single thread. That way us new macbook owners could easily find what's available and what others who've used those things think.

Here's something to kick it off:
The iLap
http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

I haven't used it personally yet, but I was very much conisdering buying one and I'd love to hear what others think about it. Apparently the 14" models works well with the Macbook (according to the website)

Anoi

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
I guess i could put this in here. Does anyone know of a suitable sleeve type case for the Macbook?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
iLap kicks ass. My girlfriend bought me one a while back and I love it. I admit that I don't use it much in my lap, but it works great on a desk in that it keeps the keyboard at the perfect angle to type comfortably while elevating the screen so that you don't get neckaches from looking downward at it. :)

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Dr. Bott portable USB hub

It's portable, relatively inexpensive, and there's no external power supply but can still accept one "full power" USB device while two "low power" ones are also connected to it.

I have the old USB 1 version of it with my TiBook, and I'm thinking of getting the USB 2.0 version of it for my MacBook that's coming in a few days.

About the iLap, I have a similar product called the LapBottom, but it appears that the company that made it went out of business. I love it. It creates a gap of air under the computer to keep it cooler, and the foam bottom makes it very comfortable on my lap.

paulman

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2004
Would the be.ez LeBag be any good for the Macbook? Or would it slip around since its designed for a 15" laptop?

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
paulman said:
Would the be.ez LeBag be any good for the Macbook? Or would it slip around since its designed for a 15" laptop?

be.ez are on it. Emailed them earlier in the week, MacBook LArobe stuff out no later than mid June - presumably meaning LeBag and other lines at the same time if not before.

be.ez sleeves are the absolute bee's knees in my eyes!

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
kugino said:
how about a small BT mouse? i have the original BT500 from radtech and like it... http://www.radtech.us/

Had that mouse for a year, scroll wheel stopped working and batteries dies quickly.

Recently bought the BT500+ and I can say that I am absolutely in love. Greatest mouse ever, I will write a full review when I have the time. (Charges via USB)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
lexus said:
I need a sleeve which will fit the macbook exactly.
I talked to the guys in one of the two Apple retailers here in Bergen, and they had ordered 10 13" MacBook skins from Tucano (without ever even seeing them) and expected to have them in the store early next week.

I have the 12" iBook skin and that's a perfect fit, so I doubt that Eplehuset, that's the retailers name, will have problems "getting rid of" those skins. They seem to sell those MacBooks faster than they get them from Apple, and everybody needs protection, right...? ;)

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I talked to the guys in one of the two Apple retailers here in Bergen, and they had ordered 10 13" MacBook skins from Tucano (without ever even seeing them) and expected to have them in the store early next week.

I have the 12" iBook skin and that's a perfect fit, so I doubt that Eplehuset, that's the retailers name, will have problems "getting rid of" those skins. They seem to sell those MacBooks faster than they get them from Apple, and everybody needs protection, right...? ;)
Apple should send dimensions to manufacturers of such cases before the products are released so cases can be out as soon as new computers are released.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
lexus said:
You do realize that that is a chopping board!!!
Yes...

But it's a perfectly flat, hard surface, excellent for a notebook to stand on.

And remember that wood is a very poor heat conductor, so the underside doesn't get hot, which is very good when you have the laptop on your - well - lap, right?

Also it has handles so you can move your 'Book around easily...

Since it is not a specialized computer accessory, but a mundane kitchen appliance from IKEA, the price is very reasonable...

They come in packs of two, one for your computer and another for your (wireless) mouse (or if you don't have a mouse you can use the smaller one as a - wait for it - chopping board).

What else do you want from a base for your portable computer? :cool:

erickg

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
lexus said:
But what degree of protection do they offer?

I'd say quite a good level. I mean, they won't protect the macbook from dropping a couple of meters, but it will protect it very well against scratches and wear. I've used them previously on a 12" Powerbook and a 12" iBook and both have ended their lives with me looking like they were brand new. This is despite having the laptops in backpacks crammed in between a bunch of course literature and having walked, biked, taken the metro, etc. whereby the backpack (w/o padding) was taken off of my back and put on the ground multiple times a day (and not too lightly). In other words, I wasn't pampering the laptops and nothing happened to them.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I prefer one of these... much cheaper... and you even get a smaller for your (wireless) mouse included... ;)

That chopping board is an awesome Idea would go perfect with my desk....Gotta remember to pick one up next time I hit Ikea....

Also I really need a MB sleeve, probably gonna wait for crumpler to release there range,

ShadoW

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
If anyone is looking for a great sleeve-type case with a lot of protection, I'd suggest the Brenthaven Metro case. I just picked one up yesterday for my 12" PowerBook, and it's amazing. It's made to fit up to the 15" laptops from Apple, but my PowerBook fits well inside, with barely any movement inside the bag. I'd imagine that since the MacBook is wider than the 12" PowerBook, it would only fit better. The case itself is about 2" thick, and made from ballistic nylon, and feels very well made. As far as protection goes, this bag is great. It's got a soft inside lining, with a plastic shell outside of the laptop compartment. It feels like it would definitely protect the computer during any everyday event, and even when dropped from a few feet. The price is very reasonable too. I think I paid around $70 after tax, which I didn't think was bad at all for a quality case from a great brand. Hope this helps.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
More kudos

To Radtech. I got my BT500+ mouse, it's charging via USB as we speak. Don't need to use the rechargeables, but it's a nice feature. A little small, but easy to set up and really smooth to use. Also got a black screensavrz from them. Also, just what I wanted. I ordered on Saturday and got everything on Monday, now that's FAST.

Also, I have a waterfield sleevecase and recommend it as well. But, it's not a great stand alone bag. I also ordered a STM Sphere from Radtech (I ordered it on Sunday after thinking about it longer than I should have). I got some e-mail from Radtech telling me that the 13.3 MacBook fits perfectly in the notebook compartment. I'll update when it gets here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.