The MacBook and Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markjones05, Feb 5, 2007.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

So I am moving my Macpro and 30" ACD into my home office and plan on getting a MacBook "not a pro" to use around the rest of the house and in my bedroom for emails, internet and the like. My question is how does FCP run on the MacBook? It would be nice to be able to review my sequences and maybe make some fixes and be able to take my rough cuts into meetings with clients just for play downs. I wouldn't need to install the entire studio either just FCP. I'd rather not spend money on the more expensive MacBookpro if I can do these kinds of things on a MacBook. From the stats on the new MacBooks I should think it would have no real problems doing this but it never hurts to get some information from people who have tried this first hand as I might have overlooked something.

Thanx,
    Mark

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

It runs acceptably, though, coming from your Mac Pro, you're likely to get frustrated at it's lack of responsiveness and speed. I'd look at a refurb MBP, or at least put a minimum of 1GB of RAM in there to make it snappier. I've cut projects in FCP on a MacBook, and it's easily doable, just not as snappy as I'd prefer.

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Thank you Movie Cutter, your insight in these matters is always helpful. We should start a thread for us production/post guys and the rest of the usual suspects I see poking around these types of threads.