the macbook + ipod offer... when is it safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by olivia, Jul 27, 2006.

1. olivia macrumors member

hey, i heard that someone cut their ups stickers or whatever off to get his/her rebate and a little while later, the macbook started having problems and apple refused to take care of them because the stickers had been cut off.

when do problems start appearing generally? a couple weeks?

2. Natsus macrumors member

that doesn't make any sense. Applecare does not need the original box. The only way I can see this to be a problem is if the consumer wanted to return the notebook for a full refund and there's nothing wrong with it. However, you only have the 14 days to do that. If there is a problem with the hardware, it does not matter if you cut the UPC out or not.

To answer your question though, you can generally tell if there's a problem within a few days, but even if there is a problem, applecare would take care of it.

3. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Yeah they dont need the UPC seeing how pretty much anywhere you look well not really but under the batery in the about this mac, there are plenty of places to get the serial # and that is all Applecare needs.

4. olivia thread starter macrumors member

oh hm, maybe i read it wrong. I thought we needed to send in the two UPCs (which are the stickers right...wow i'm so everything-related-to-computers hopeless). great, hopefully, everything will turn out peachy and i won't even have to worry about applecare.

thanks!

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

For the refund you do (and not just the stickers, either.. they want the cardboard attached!), but not for applecare.

6. Natsus macrumors member

I think I see what's going on. For the rebate, the person probably took off the stickers off the actual laptop. He/She was NOT supposed to do that. The rebate only needs a receipt and the UPC from the Box. Not the stickers on the laptop.

I believe you void the warranty if you take off the stickers only because Apple cannot verify it's information and has no way of knowing where the laptop came from.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

wait, what stickers are on the actual laptop? :confused:

8. Natsus macrumors member

I was thinking the one on the laptop when you take off the battery.. but now that I think about it.. I'm not even sure if it's removable. Just ignore what I said =P

9. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

All AppleCare needs is the serial number which is available on OS X "About this Mac" screen.

10. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

If your machine has had its logic board replaced, that field is usually blank.