The MacBook That Apple Got So, So Right

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 16, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Apple Hardware
    Link: The MacBook That Apple Got So, So Right
    Description:: We don’t write much about Macs at iLounge, but I wanted to make an exception today to pat Apple on the back for doing something very right: the new aluminum MacBook.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors member

mkoval11

New MacBooks and MacBook Pro's

Look, say what you want about Apple but I just stopped by my local retail Apple store and took a look at these. Personally I use the spring 2008 version of the MBP. These new machines are absolutely gorgeous. Anyone who complains about glossy or matte is nuts and if you say a word about the display port, again your nuts although Apple, it should be in the box. The MacBook for $1,200 is ridiculous. Fast, meticulous and professional. While the Air is cool, this is the one Exec's will want. There is no more low end. For $1,200 you get a fantastic machine. Yes, you can spend $399 on an Asus POS, but if you want something thats going to last more than 12 months than you have to get this. I was immediately convinced and bought both the MacBook, for travel and the MacBook Pro as a replacement. I have a large IT staff so I have 50 people in line drooling for my 4 month of MBP. Get one of these things in you hand and thats it. Who care that the economy is falling apart and your 401 is worth nothing, invest in one of thee and it will put a smile on your face every time you turn it on.

3. macrumors regular

I second the article. Apple is on a good track here.

I remember the constant blathering about when Apple ditched the ADB ports and Floppy Drive with the original iMac.

The background noise will slow down soon enough. :)

4. macrumors 6502a

mathcolo

Hopefully:rolleyes:

5. macrumors newbie

Waiting for my macbook

I got the 2.4GHz with 4GB of RAM....waiting for it to be shipped to me.... I waited a long time for this machine to come out. I am replacing my 2nd generation 12" Powermac G4...it is 4 years old and hurting...and it has a lot of white spots on the screen. I cannot wait for my new macbook!!

6. macrumors member

yes, yes, been waiting a while for the new macbooks. [​IMG]

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors 65816

Finally an article that I agree with completely! I really love the look of the new Macbooks and it astounding how much newer they look when compared to the old ones! Persoally it is really tempting to sell my current laptop and get when when that was something that I had never really thought about before. Sure it was stupid of Apple to not include a Firewire port but if you overlook that one flaw which isn't that big of one for many prospective consumer buyers the new Macbook is a really good machine.

9. macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I'd be more than happy to sacrifice the Firewire port for the new aluminium casing of the Macbook. But unfortunately it is prohibitively expensive now that Apple have increased the price by US$300 here in NZ. I will have to keep using my 3 year old iBook for a while longer.

10. macrumors 6502a

While I think there are things to praise about the new MBs...

First mkoval11, it's $1300 (1299), not $1200. Firewire is not only a big deal for many in terms of external drives they've purchased...you give up target disk mode. When you have a diagnostic issue arise, you will QUICKLY see the enormous benefit of TDM. This isn't possible over usb.

No express card slot for installing a FW or eSata card.

The price goes up $200 ($1099 vs 1299), but the cpu speed is slower. 2.1 vs 2.0. How does *that* make sense?

As usual, Apple focuses on looks over substance. The new MBs are much better looking and thinner. Whoop-di-do-da.

I think this is overall a very poor update to the line. Judging from various forums, I think sales (the lack thereof) will confirm this conclusion.

This article and POLL is very "enlightening" as to how many view the FW issue:

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/16/firewire-feedback-from-readers-and-apple/

11. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The new one has faster memory and FSB, DDR3 (1066MHz) compared to DDR2 (800MHz). That may not be a huge bump in the CPU field but it's quite a jump for RAM and FSB.

So far they've been selling out. We'll see how things end up of course.

I'm not a fan of FireWire being excluded and think they should just end up merging the two lines. The MB and MBP are almost the same machine as it is now.

12. macrumors 6502a

Selling out...Really? They seem to be available everywhere I look....online and Apple Stores. I was at two Apple stores here in LA today.

13. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The only place they hadn't been selling out that I have heard was in LA ironically.

14. macrumors 6502a

right :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 6502a

jimN

No it isn't. The readers of TUAW are a self-selecting population who are well aware of what Firewire is. The largest addressable market for Apple at the moment are Switchers and these people aren't used to Firewire. They use USB and have USB peripherals with their PCs and will likely not even notice the absence.

It might not be what people want to hear but it's the truth.

16. macrumors member

proc

While I agree that the new MacBook are indeed very good they simply lack Firewire which is needed to connect Firewire videocameras, connect fast external HDD (USB external HDD are sloooooww on OS X),etc.

If Firewire returns on the new MacBook (revision B hopefully) I will probably buy one and maybe even two new MacBooks.

17. macrumors member

You could probably afford a MBP in that case. Fixed.

Anybody see that production line video for the MB body production? I can't really see them changing this because people want pro connectivity on their consumer machine.

18. macrumors 68000

lamina

The lack of firewire really just kinda hit home for me. I'm by no means a professional, but I have an older video camera which only uses firewire. I use it maybe 4 times per year, but with a new MacBook, I wouldn't be able to use it at all! I can't justify the extra $700 or so to upgrade to a MacBook so that I can use my video camera 4 times per year.

I wonder what the justification was for leaving out FW400. FW400 on the MacBook (consumer) and FW800 on the MacBook Pro (professional) just makes sense.

19. macrumors member

I also have one of those video cameras and I agree it's annoying, but bearing in mind the current Macbook doesn't really run pro video editing software why would you want to upgrade anyway?

Not casting wild accusations here, but people who pay for pro software to run a pro operation will probably not be running these apps on a Macbook.

20. macrumors member

Wow, I never knew that firewire was a 'pro' connection. Now I see all those 'pro' laptops from dell and acer are so so cheap.
    :p

21. macrumors member

Yeah, you can connect your FW floppy drive.

Look into the apps that would still benefit from this connectivity moving forward and try again.

22. macrumors member

floopy drive - genius. try again yourself and look at imovie's documents that talk about fw connection. look at small scale recording mixers for amateur artists that can't afford the extra £400 for a macbook pro.

I work with freelance art and music workers that work with kids at risk and other community groups who use firewire for their work.

FW is still moving forward. USB is still a crappy connection for sustained connection speeds.

23. macrumors member

While we're on the subject, Final Cut express and Logic Studio Express are both bto options on the new macbook. Smaller versions, but still 'pro' apps, and both also require a FW port to utilise to maximum effect (FCE cannot log and capture over USB - thereby uttely pointless to anyone except people who don't really need to edit in the first place)

24. macrumors member

But, like most people say, the new macbooks are for switchers.

In my opinion, apple only removed the FW port to differentiate, and that motive is pure greed.

25. macrumors 6502

For anyone who thinks FireWire was removed without good reason:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/Mac/MacBook-Unibody/Page-6#s2970

To me, it simply looks like a space issue. It has been years since I last used FireWire, so I'm in the "won't miss" camp.

I definitely agree that the loss is unfortunate from an audio perspective, but Apple is trying to push users to AVCHD for video (as mention in other posts in this thread). Apple has always forced users in the direction the company wants to move.

Regarding differentiation equals greed: Apple is a publicly traded company who needs to keep making money in order to have access to investment markets. There is nothing wrong with differentiating their product line. If users speak up and show that FW is needed even in consumer portables, it will be added.

Kind regards