Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
c09dada7bad338e8ead8f316cd43.jpeg

A college for Magic in upstate New York, not like Harry Potter. This is good (not implying HP was bad ;))! Easy to get hooked, if the presmise, story, and characters appeal to you. The Beast in the first episode was amazingly threatening and well done for standard TV. I find myself in anticipation of the next episode. The last was Quentn figuring out why he was confined to a mental hospital. The book this is based on, is on my to-read list.

Reactions: jkcerda

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not sure why, but I fissiled out somewhere on this during season one. But I see it's on Netflix so I'm gonna give it another shot, while I record Season 2 which just started. :)

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I enjoyed season 1. It's a bit dark, but that doesn't bother me.
Waiting for season 2 to start this side of the pond.
The books were horrifying but rewarding.

The TV show's budget is a bit of a problem. They made a critical mistake in season 1, and i'm not sure how they're going to get themselves out of it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The books were horrifying but rewarding.

The TV show's budget is a bit of a problem. They made a critical mistake in season 1, and i'm not sure how they're going to get themselves out of it.

Not asking for a spoiler, but did they cut something out or alter an event? Would you say the books are worth reading?
[doublepost=1485487507][/doublepost]
I enjoyed season 1. It's a bit dark, but that doesn't bother me.
Waiting for season 2 to start this side of the pond.

I think I heard it described as an adult Harry Potter type story. Definitely some adult themes there. :)

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Not asking for a spoiler, but did they cut something out or alter an event? Would you say the books are worth reading?

The scene at the end of season one is completely different in the book. It's a lot more climactic and I'll just say the stakes are real for one of the characters in particular.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's a reasonably safe spoiler.
You said the books were horrifying as in a horror story? And you said it was rewarding so I take this as a recommendation to read. :) Thanks for putting up with a string of questions. I'm up to episode 3 and really enjoying it this time through. And I'm miffed these books are $12 each although I can save $5 if I buy the trilogy up front. :p

Last edited:

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You said the books were horrifying as in a horror story? And you said it was rewarding so I take this as a recommendation to read. :) Thanks for putting up with a string of questions. I'm up to episode 3 and really enjoying it this time through. And I'm miffed these books are $12 each although I can save $5 if I buy the trilogy up front. :p
No problem. It's like Harry Potter, but with significantly higher stakes.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, does the beast sing tenor Broadway type songs in the book? He's lost a lot of threat once the moths fluttering head is removed and he started singing like all the time he's with a certain girl. I think he's lonely. :p

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
c09dada7bad338e8ead8f316cd43.jpeg

A college for Magic in upstate New York, not like Harry Potter. This is good (not implying HP was bad ;))! Easy to get hooked, if the presmise, story, and characters appeal to you. The Beast in the first episode was amazingly threatening and well done for standard TV. I find myself in anticipation of the next episode. The last was Quentn figuring out why he was confined to a mental hospital. The book this is based on, is on my to-read list.
on season 4 currently, I like the show.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I may give this a second chance. I started the books and can’t remember why I stopped reading at some point.

It supposedly got really good starting with S2, and then fantastically good with S3 - that's definitely shown in the RT season reviews:

1581009102458.png

I didn't make it through S1, but it was a mix of random distraction (like I started it before a trip or something) and wanting to watch it with the wife (we watch 98% of the same programming :) )

Reactions: Huntn and jkcerda

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It supposedly got really good starting with S2, and then fantastically good with S3 - that's definitely shown in the RT season reviews:

View attachment 892861

I didn't make it through S1, but it was a mix of random distraction (like I started it before a trip or something) and wanting to watch it with the wife (we watch 98% of the same programming :) )
As I recall, I really liked Season 1 but then when they came face to face with the Beast early in season 2, it seemed to unravel a bit. I may try this series again because there have been cases where I give a series a secon chance and it hooks me. The Expanse is a good example of this.

And after I get done with how far The Dune book series takes me, I might try The Magician’s book series again.

Reactions: jkcerda and D.T.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not sure why, but I fissiled out somewhere on this during season one. But I see it's on Netflix so I'm gonna give it another shot, while I record Season 2 which just started. :)
Ok, several years later, The Magicians has ended with 5 seasons and I’m hitting it again on Netflix from the beginning. Wish me luck! Please warn of any spoilers you post. :)

Episode 1 is the hook, the imagery during the attack is impressive!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.