The major flaw with Halo

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Why is it, that this one guy can single handedly take on a whole alien army? Right. That's one bit out of the way, but how the hell can he beat the army and turn/move as slowly as he does? They have some kind of warping/teleporting system but ships fly overhead without launching some big 1 hit kill missile at him.

Are the Covenant suffering from tunnel vision? Some form of brain damage (though they do seem to speak quite good English, funny choice of language)?
    How they did get to where they were being such an under-developed race?

Why can it only take Master Chief to take them down, surely with how rubbish the Covenant are they could just wipe them out easily without the need of a hero?

Basically... Why are the Covenant so crap?
  2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    Whoa... Thats like asking why Mario is still a plumber when he never actually does his job...

It just makes for a better game...

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    I agree with blaskillet4.

It's a game, and a lot of games are like this. The "hero" who can do everything.

Accept it, and move on.
  4. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Hmm I thought the flaw was that it was a sucktacular game..
  5. sb58 macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
    You think the flaw is that the master chief can take on this armada of aliens?
    not the fact that there is an armada of aliens?
  6. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2006
    Brisbane, Australia
    I hate Halo... I tried it for two days and I couldn't stand it.

You can ask the same question regarding Silvester Stalone. :D
  7. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2006
    Not at the beach...
    I think the biggest flaw is this, "What/When does he eat?"
  8. bowens macrumors 6502a

Jun 19, 2006
    Trenton, FL
    Oh, he eats babies. You didn't know that?
  9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Jimmi, you think too much. :)

It's like any "one-man-army" type game. This one just happens to be a little more un-realistic.

How about Half-Life?

From getting to "know" you on these boards, I realize that these kind of games (complex 3D, army-of-one, shooters) aren't your cup of tea. But games (and TV and movies for that matter) are supposed to allow the person viewing/playing to escape from their own reality (at some level of immersion) and put themselves into the reality of someone else. It's what makes games like Metroid Prime, Zelda, Mario, and Final Fantasy so good: that you develop a sort of bond with the protagonist.
  10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Why not make the complaint then that all games of this nature are flawed and unrealistic because 1 hit never kills you - many heroes appear to be able to take multiple hits before dying, and if they grab a little "health pack" on the run they can magically become 100% again. :p ;) :cool:
  11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Next to Halflife2 Halo is crap. I wont even mention its consoleitis.
  12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    I mean don't get me wrong, Halo 1 is the best console FPS I've played so I don't hate the series. I just find it a little inconsistent. Why is it only him, why are the Covenant *that* stupid? etc. Instead of rushing out a crap story (2) I wished they answered some questions.

Someday a studio will bring out a realistic FPS.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind about the story if Bungie didn't focus on it so much. Mario gets away with it, theres no explanation, theres nothing to know! Nintendo have never focused on the Mario storyline. How could it be realistically done?

Like I said. If Bungie focus on the storyline then why can't I ask these questions :p , especially with their history.
  13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Yea at least HL2 has realistic enemies, fast to react, use strategy etc. The grenade throwing argument in the HL2:ep 2 trailer was hilarious :D
  14. xPismo macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Well its a FPS game, so they all do that... but:

He isn't. Its a big war, you are only seeing his view of it. Hence why Halo2 felt like the trailer to the game...

Underdeveloped? They seem quite good at getting the job done. The english part... well lets say that M$'s fault. The Cov originally had their own language.

They seem to be doing a good job at erasing most of the human fighting population in battle. Don't we all need a hero?

I got it, you need to up to Legendary. Its a whole 'nother world. :D
  15. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    The story is expanded on in the books. They also answer as to why covenant speak english, why they are where they are yet appear to be dumb at times (they are religous zealots with a caste system in short). I do agree that they(Bungie) could have done beter explanations in the game but it would have made the game slower (I think). One of the most realistic fps I have seen has to be the brothers in arms series.
  16. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    The books are written in such a way you could finish one a day and there are only 4

The Fall of Reach (Before Halo1)
    The Flood (Halo1)
    First Strike (between Halo1 & 2)
    Ghosts of Onyx (Concurrent with events from Halo2)
  17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    The real question is:
    He's this supersoldier who wears about half a tonne of armour, he can flip tanks with one hand, yet the recoil off a single SMG overpowers him?! :eek: The laws of physics must warp around this guy, because either that gun would literally smash a normal soldier to bits with the force, or his armour should absorb the recoil athousandfold :confused:
  18. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Yeah, I strongly suggest reading the books (well, "The Flood" wasn't very good, it was written by a different author), they ad tons to the Halo story. I guess they were written after the game, so that's why you don't get much of the larger story out of the game. Seems like Halo 2 (and probably 3) tie in much better though.

In fact the story is why I like the series so much, even if I wasn't exactly ecstatic about the first game (haven't been able to play Halo 2 yet).

The books also give you an idea why the SPARTAN-II's are some awesome and make the impossible possible.
  19. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006

That reminds me of my brothers 'Superman Returns' review:

"It's OK, but a bit far-fetched!"

20. tominated macrumors 68000

Jul 7, 2006
    Queensland, Australia
    So true!
  21. Malus macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2005
    Why is Sonic blue?
    Why is Kirby a cute little pink thing?
    Why doesn't Link talk?
    Why didn't Cloud revive Aeiris with a pheonix down?
    Why does Samas Aran kick so much butt?

And the most important question of all...

The gameboy Tingle game (from zelda).....WHY?!?
  22. Earendil macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2003
    First I'll start by saying what everyone else has said... it's just a game.
    If it were realistic to the extreme, than you would be a civilian and dead in the first 15 seconds. great game.

You'll also notice that in movies people in fist fights can take dozens upon dozens of hits to the face with a bare hand (not to mention metal items) and keep walking, talking, and swinging. The human head can not take that. Heck, a man can knock another man out with a padded boxing glove...

However, now I will explain what I can, because I actually like the game, and the story, and have been following Bungie games since Marathon. I'm well aware you don't like the game and won't take anything I say seriously...however it's a game, you shouldn't take anything I say seriously anyway :rolleyes:

He isn't single handedly taking on the army? In the first Halo he happens to be on a ship that while running from a battle the humans are losing quite badly (not to mention the planet they were protecting being glassed) decided to "randomly" warp out in hopes of escape. A small task force of covenant ships were sent to chase, they all ended up on Halo and the story begins.

All of the Chiefs missions are short strike and retreat style missions. No where is he running into an army of even 40 covenants, let alone "the entire army".

I think an easy parallel can be drawn between that, and any war the US (or any advanced modern army) has fought against the rag tag. Bombs only go so far before you have to get down and dirty.

The reason they haven't glassed Halo while the master chief was on is because they see it as a holy artifact, and are not going to risk damage in order to kill one little human that they don't see much of a problem with.

Early on in Halo 1 the covenant become quite preoccupied with the flood. In Halo 2 they are suffering from a division within their races. They also don't see the master chief as a threat, and see the humans as little things to slaughter, which most humans are. The fact that master chief can actually return fire for fire probably hasn't made it on the covenant radar yet. And since when was winning a skirmish about how fast you can run? (but, slow movement is for gameplay, and I quite enjoy it compared to UT and the like).

Their language is translated on the fly by either his suit, the chip in his brain, or Cortana, I forget which. However some of them have not been translated, Jackles for example.
    They are a consortium of races, or "covenant" if you will ;-)
    There are the lowest level of grunts, who are quite unintelligent but follow orders and are good fodder for the smarter more developed races.

Also much of the covenant technology is stolen from the Forunners, for which they may not have a complete understanding, but which gave them a huge head start.

Because the war that is going on is happening in more places than some secluded ring between master chief and a few elites. If that were the entirety of the war, we wouldn't be having a problem. However the Covenant ships mow through us in space quite effectively. They have the ability to destroy or "glass" entire planets to the point where they become uninhabitable. Regular marines stand a chance against grunts, but not 1v1 with an elite. How vehicles do damage to theirs, but they return more fire power.

You aren't playing on legendary :p
    But really, it's a game in which we are allowed a chance of winning. I find Halo's premise and story line for more convincing and realistic than most 3rd person shooters. Heck, it's more convincing than most games in general!!

But then I've invested some time in learning details of the story, and have even read one of the books. It's actually amazing how much story there is there... I believe a question was posed to Jason Jones as to how much of the story that he has written is actually making it into the game. I believe his response was "a tenth". Other little pieces leak out through books, interviews, and confirmed ramblings, but no where near the entirety of it will ever probably be published in any format.

There you go, now you may dismiss me as a nutcase ;-)

23. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    totally agreed! I mean, capture the flag?!?!?!? how stupid can games get?

also, who's that in your 'tar and account picture?
  24. Earendil macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2003
    They can't think of everything, but let me offer up a possibility.

Who says his armor ways half a ton? Part of what makes him so strong is his cybernetic body, and the other half his armor. I see no reason it has to weight very much at all and yet still be strong enough to take a few hits. After all once his shield is down his armor sure doesn't help him much.

So that handles the mass equation>

Now the physics. Let's suppose he did weight half a ton. Ones ability to lift, due to strength, does not enable a person to silence the effects of vibration. I can toss a shotgun some ways, but I still get a kick from it, as I'm sure Shaq would as well, or a would class weightlifter.

Also let's assume that his armor suit and cybernetics are reactive to a force that he himself puts into something, which I believe is how it is explained. You push, the suit senses this, and pushes harder. If you wanted to use that strength to counteract a vibration of two SMG sub machine guns you would need a suit that not only responded to you, but acted FOR you and did predictive analysis of the vibration far beyond human ability to counter each motion of the vibrating unit.

What makes more sense to me is to put a dampener in the SMG its self in order to absorb some of that recoil and vibration. That would be more effective that any strength in any armor.

And in the end, it's game ;-)
  25. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Shigsy said Link will never talk because it gives players a chance to give Link any voice, plus it removes regions and accents. In Japan he's some kind of fairy/elf/magical thing, but in England he's pretty much Robin Hood. If they ever gave Link an American accent I would stop playing. :D no, really.

Samus? She's supposedly taught by the Chozo. Which is funny, they never wore that suit and they were wiped out. I don't get that at all.

Thanks Earendil, you cleared some stuff up :)