the making of an avatar

Discussion in 'Community' started by howard, Feb 24, 2003.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i was just wondering how exactly you make an avatar? do you use illustrator? if so how do you export it as an avatar? what kind of resolution does it need to be? what kind of file? also how do you animate them? is it flash? just curious about this, i know it will be about a month or more before i am able to get mine but i'd like to start making a few. thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A MacRumors avatar just needs fit into these rules:

1. Be a gif (I think)
    2. Be a maximum of 50 x 50 pixels
    3. Be smaller than 20k

To animate I'd reccomend Adobe ImageReady.

3. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

imageready, i don't have that...does it cost alot? what kind of stuff do you do with it?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ImageReady comes with Adobe Photoshop. The only thing I use it for is to make animated gifs. I'm no expert on it though, infact I rarely use it, but others here may be able to tell you more.

5. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

i feel retarded...i do have photoshop, i just havn't seen or used image ready...which is weird, cause i knew the name sounded familiar....bah!

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yep, jpegs are easiest.

if you go gif, you don't *have* to animate it, but it doesnt hurt to play around with imageready if you want...

with most programs, you'll just need to scale it to 50x50, then worry about size when you're saving-- enable compression or color loss to get it under 20k...

pnw

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

>if you go gif, you don't *have* to animate it, but it doesnt hurt to play around with imageready if you want...

...Unless you are like scem0 and have a Web Cam. :D

ImageReady has a wide array of compression settings compared to all freeware GIF animators and many shareware versions. If you are used to Photoshop and have experience with it, ImageReady should not be too difficult.

9. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

thanks for your help, i have a sweet avatar all ready made for when i get to 500 posts...have some cool ideas for animation too.