The Malaysian GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Mar 18, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

So then... Malaysia, I think I'm correct in saying that this is the hottest race of the year... which should be a test of the new 2 race engine rule, however there are exceptions.

BAR Honda after pulling a sneaky move at the last GP are running 2 new engines (not the brightest of moves considering the next race is in the middle of a desert) and as far as I know, Heidfeld has a new power plant in the back of his Williams BMW.

Schumacher has retained his Australian engine (itself a replacement) which should see him with a significant advantage over his teammate, but also those drivers with higher mileage on their engines. His use of his Australian engine also frees up the use of the F2005 from the next race at Bahrain, itself being tested this weekend at Mugello (according to the team is already 1 second a lap faster than the F2004M) much to the 9 other teams chagrin so it would seem.

Australia wasn't quite the gauge of performance I suppose one might have hoped for because of the topsy-turvy grid, the result of one of the most bizarre qualifying sessions I can remember... it did however confirm what winter testing suggested, that the Renaults had about 0.5 seconds advantage over the rest of the grid, with Fisichella doing a 'Schu' with a measured drive, and Alonso fighting his way up the order and setting the fastest lap, further demonstrating the Renaults pace advantage.

I was surprised at McLarens lack of pace, although Kimi was awesomely fast at the beginning of the race when he was hounding Schumacher for several laps had he not stalled it on the grid, I have no reason to doubt that he'd have been fighting for at least a podium position if not the win. Montoya had a bit of a strange one... he didn't really make any impression and certainly didn't seem to be his usual fiesty self... even Ron Dennis noted this, and passed comment, but I'm expecting that to change this weekend should normal conditions be resumed.

So then... predictions for the race. Some of the weather reports I have seen have indicated that rain is likely sometime during the weekend, but hopefully that will not affect qualifying.

Normally (i.e. pre this season) it'd be possible to gauge relative performance after Fridays sessions, but since the rule changes and with many teams conserving their engines, it's next to useless in using Fridays times as a performance guide... unless of course we are to presume that Sauber are now the class of the field. :eek: :p

Qualifying Top 8 (Dry)

1. Räikkönen
    2. Montoya
    3. Fisichella
    4. Alonso
    5. Schumacher
    6. Barrichello
    7. Webber
    8. Button

Race Top 8 (Dry)

1.Räikkönen
    2. Montoya
    3. Fisichella
    4. Alonso
    5. Schumacher
    6. Barrichello
    7. Button
    8. Webber.

So then... predictions? thoughts?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Predictions? I'm not even going to bother anymore :rolleyes: But I hope Rubens can repeat his performance, and that Button/BAR can regain their pace from last year.

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Sooo, you predict a runaround, with Button finally managing to pass Webber for the 7th place.... mmmh sounds really exciting! I can't wait to lose a night of sleep over this :)

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

he can do... as long as Schumacher wins. ;) :D

Sadly I do... unless qualifying or the race is wrecked by the weather.

McLaren seem bullish, Renault less so... and Ferrari don't have the car... so if they qualify in that order... we'll be doomed. :(

It's a 7am start for us in Blighty, so not too bad, well at least not as bad as the 3am start for the Australian race. :eek: :p

Role on Europe... :D

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Well ladies and gentleman judging by 1st qualifying we may actually have ourselves a race. :eek: :D

Who'd have thought the Toyota's would be soooo competitive and the Ferrari's some 1.5 seconds off the pace!!! :eek:

Renault are looking strong with Alonso pulling off a stunner, as do both the McLarens (Kimi especially) and the Toyota's (where in the hell did their pace come from?). The Williams are looking reasonable with Webber and Heidfeld sandwiching the McLaren of Montoya, and Red Bull Racing only being marginally bested by one of the BAR Hondas (Sato has withdrawn because of a virus).

Ferrari are the big surprise though, I didn't expect them to be fully competitive, but I didn't expect them to be 12th and 14th either... would seem that the Bridgestones simply don't work over 1 lap like the Michelins do, although Schumacher lap was a corker, not only beating Barrichello on the harder (slower) compound, but also having the disadvantage of running earlier on track as well :D Either way though, and race consistancy or not unless they go for a radical strategy they're in big, big trouble tomorrow.

2nd qualifying could be interesting because as the times stand at the moment, I think we may see some teams deciding to go light and short fuel to try and gain extra grid positions (maybe Schu, he's got the tyres and the engine) and I think we might see something from Kimi in the McLaren to bump himself up past the Toyota, as the general consensus regarding the Toyota is that whilst they have good pace over one lap, the performance diminishes when they're tanked up, and this could end up giving the race to Renault without them even trying.

Anyway... revised predictions for the race.

1. Alonso
    2. Fisichella
    3. Räikkönen
    4. Montoya
    5. Webber
    6. Button
    7. Heidfeld
    8. Schumacher

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i think will see the first effects of the engine+tires rules, so some won't finish. I'm betting on an interesting race.
    my semi-random prediction
    1.alonso
    2.kimi
    3.schumi
    4.trulli
    5.klein
    6.ralf
    7.webber
    8.barri

out: fisico, montoya, coulthard, button

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm still not predicting anything for the race, as we still have final quali to go (in about 2 hours I think?) :p
    When was the last time both Ferraris were quali'd outside the top 10? Must have been quite a few years.

Also, I stayed up last night (3AM! :eek: ) to watch this week's F1 Decade on Speed. It was the 1995 Argentinian GP. Alesi and Hill had a very good race (well, after the second start :p), and Schumi got screwed by two crappy sets of tires (he set the fast lap of the race on his last set. I think one thing that made it possible for there to be a 26 car grid then was the availability of non-tobacco and non-automotive sponsors (Nokia, MTV, and some upstart energy drink company called Red Bull :rolleyes: ). How many of those sponsors are still around? You'd think that considering the global coverage of F1 (second most-watched sport in the world), that more companies would be willing to dump a couple million into a team, get some exposure, and maybe give the sponsored team (I hear Jordan needs some sponsors, that RE/MAX balloon is lonely ;)) a slight edge.

Side note: Jordan needs to update this page and this page, 2002? Puh-lease :rolleyes:

8. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

iGav, where do you get all of this information? Are you just typing along as the telecasters broadcast? Reading the editorials of bread and butter F1 journalists?

Either way, I don't mind it at all... I'd rather get my F1 info while I'm here, than have to dig for it at other sites. :)

9. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

The short of it: companies market their stuff to very specific markets. MTV, for example, probably doesn't care about the viewerships in most of the countries F1 may be hot in. The U.S. is probably its largest market, and the F1 following here is scant.

Further, F1 sponsorship only results in banners and name placement. In contrast, television advertisement allows for much more creativity and customization of message. It is a far more effective way of broadcasting a product image than a logo on a rear wing or diffuser.

10. brap macrumors 68000

Well, I'll give it to 'em, it was a sight more interesting then the last one.

Not for the best of reasons though - silly driver errors brought on by tyre wear, the BAR guys exploding within seconds of each other, Reubens driving into the garage with 6 laps to go. Smacks of... I dunno, not really sure what to call it. Farce, perhaps. It's good that both DC and JV show us their true colours, though, for better or worse! :rolleyes: ;)

Not to take anything away from Alonso, or indeed any of the top four - they each drove stunning races, making the best of what they had. Fisi's incident kinda marred the whole thing, the complete lack of mechanical grip made for the inevitable collision, and the race was without two very able contenders. Sadly, in some senses, ony the two BAR's engines went pop - and they weren't even one race old! I was really hoping they'd all die and give the FIA a kick in the nuts to do something about these pisspoor regs, as it stands it's only the tyre situation. Formula 1, IMHO, shouldn't be a waiting game, one of attrition, it shouldn't be a long-term pacing thing, it should be two or thee ***kin' hellfire banzai stints, with plenty of strategic pit lane Ross Brawn craziness. I'd also like to see perhaps a lap record or two, you know, just for old times' sake.

But I digress. How about them Toyotas?! Awesome. Been rooting for them for a while, I have fond memories of that particular colour scheme applied to their gorgeous GT1 many moons ago, it's finally good to see them at the top of their game.

11. VincentVega macrumors regular

Great race. Very entertaining. Barrichello got lapped, Schumacher scraped two points. Ha! Good battles between Webber, Heidfeld and Ralf. Silly accident between Fisi and Webber - Fisi's fault (braked too late, his tyres were shot, he'd damaged his car). Alonso was peerless. Toyota very impressive, DC as well.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that was quite a bit of fun. I really feel for Webber though, it would have been his maiden podium finish, and he'd been driving pretty cleanly as well. He didn't deserve that, but I'm not laying the blame on Fisi, his car was really struggling with that whole corners thingy. :(

13. bartelby macrumors Core

I've really enjoyed the last couple races.
    Good to see Red Bull in the points again!!

Unfortunately Ferrari have their new cars next round, my only hope is Bridgestone continue to be useless.

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Alonso drove a text book race didn't he... although he looked totally shagged after the race :eek: :p

The director was pretty good as well generally catching most of the action (with the exception of Kimi's blow out) which makes a change from a lot of last season.

Interestingly... Kimi and McLaren set by far and away the fastest lap of the race (over a second quicker than Montoya) which kind of demonstrates that they've got the pace during the race, but qualifying is ruining there strategy, had misfortune not overshadowed Kimi for the first 2 races, I suspect the WDC would look very different.

Toyota are the surprise of the race for me, everything I'd read and taking the last race as a basis indicated that the Toyota would start moving backwards come the race... but that didn't happen :eek: Trulli even set the 3rd fastest lap :eek: looks like Mike Gascoyne is beginning to weave his magic.

As has been pointed out previous, some excellent close racing between Webber, Schu jr and Heidfeld... shame about the Fisi Webber incident though, the 2nd race we've seen a close battle end in tears when there was no need for it to happen. :rolleyes:

BAR Honda... gotta laugh at the irony haven't you, they replace the engines in Oz, end up having to replace Buttons engine on Friday and then they both blow up within a lap of one another.

As suspected after 1st qualifying Ferrari were in trouble, personally I think it's less to do with the car, and more to do with the Bridgestones. They sure are consistant race tyres... consistantly a second slower than the Michelins that is. :rolleyes: Even if the F2005 is a second faster than the F2004M... they'll still be around .4-.5 of a second a lap slower with those tyres.

But that's not the biggest issue...

Bridgestone REALLY have to get on top of one lap quali, because for the last 3 seasons Michelin have been so superior in this respect that this aggregate qualifying is really beginning to show just how poor Bridgestone actually are when it comes to qualifying and magnifies the margin even more.

Personally I just don't see how Ferrari and Bridgestone can close that gap during this season.

Exactly how I feel... I'd rather see 3 or 4 flat out stints with the drivers on the limit lap in lap out, rather than drivers 'conserving' there cars for the fear of nuking their tyres/engine and destroying their race or even the next one if it's the first race of an engines life.

Look at Barrichello today for example, at some point during the race some rubber found its way into the wing, upset the handling, which destroyed his tyres and shafted his race by making the car undriveable and he ended up having to retire. Hardly racing really is it... when he should have been able to come in and change tyres.

And whilst I'm bitching... ITV's commentary... FFS :mad: I find it more than a little amusing that when Ferrari were dominating like Renault have done for the first 2 races, it was deemed boring... yet now Blundell + co call it the best race for years :rolleyes: he obviously didn't see Spa' or Monza last year then.

Secondly... someone needs to fire Allen, he makes me want to do an Elvis and shoot my TV at his incessant pant wetting, teenage girl screeching at her favourite boy band style of commentary. :mad:

And lastly Rosenthal should just F-off back to football...

That feels better... role on Bahrain. ;)

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Part 1

I guess sweat doesn't show as well with short hair (Nick) or with a mostly-white driving suit. It also seemed like Flava Flavio was sweating more than any of the drivers!

Best directing I've seen in a few years. I smell a Bernie.

Kimi's been on a tear, when his car works. Maybe Bahrain will have him where he should be.

Maybe I should change my driver lineup to Jarno/Ralf instead of Rubens/Jenson.

I was amazed that they were able to manage that so late in the race! It reminded me of touring cars, without the door handles.

or fenders :p
    I'm going to chalk this one up to the new tire rules. With fresh tires (and perhaps a debris-free track :rolleyes: ), that would have been quite the battle. But no, Fisi had almost nothing left on his rear tires (just like everyone else) and thusly, lost the back and slid straight into Mark. ****ing crap.

I think it was on the same lap... But I'm not laughing, I lost out on some serious points there! :mad: ****ing Honda

Which makes me sort-of glad Ferrari isn't following the other teams' testing "ban". Michelan has 7 teams, including McLaren, Williams, BAR, and everyone else except Ferrari Jordan and Minardi to do teir testing. They can spread the mileage evenly over those teams, while Ferrari basically have to do all of Bridgestone's testing themselves (Yeah, Minardi could do it, but they don't have the $$ to spend, and I bet the data wouldn't be relevant enough to the Scuderia)

It wasn't so bad when the 'stones had a consistency edge during a stint, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year.

Aerodynamics and luck :eek:

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Part 2

France 2004, Michael wins on a 4 stop strategy, while doing almost a full stint at qualifying pace. :D

Do you have to continue reminding me of my drivers' ****** race this weekend? :p I think there should be a consideration in the tire rules for extreme, but consistent, weather (the track was 60C/150F! :eek: ). There's not much the teams can do to simulate that in testing, nor would it be really worth the effort, since it's so rare.
    Time for me to gloat then. Speed Channel has David Hobbs, voted 6th best F1 driver to have never won a race in one issue of F1 Racing, Steve Matchett, rear jack man and mechanic for Bennetton 1990-98 and author, and Bob Varsha, who seems to be everywhere on that channel. They also have Peter Windsor for location coverage (he's at every race anyway, he's the guy who asks the questions at the post-race/post-quali press conferences. He also writes for F1 Racing). Then there's their crews for other series, which includesw Derek Daly and Dorsey Shroeder for road races, and they had Derek Hill (son of Phil) cover a GP once. Too bad Bernie has excercised his option to have 4 races on broadcast TV this year. Thankully, it's not ABC (it's CBS), and Speed still has the USGP.

I have a feeling the first corner won't quite look the same this year :(