the march 5th national moratorium against the war

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by janey, Mar 4, 2003.

1. macrumors 603

janey

everyone get all your friends and family members to join thousands of people nationwide as we protest the war on Iraq...war is not the answer!
    refuse to go to work, walk out of school, organize protests in public areas!!!! this is your chance to speak out against the war!

http://www.nion.us/ - Not in Our Name Project

http://www.moratoriumtostopwar.org -More on the nationwide moratorium

2. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sorry after ignoring 17 resolutions and the UN, War is the only answer Saddam will understand. If he wont comply then war it is.

3. thread starter macrumors 603

janey

WAR IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!!!
    you wanna live during a nuclear winter?
    you wanna die?
    fine.

4. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think war is the answer we need to do something were the only country with enough guts to do anything. I'm typically liberal but i've really ocme full circle. I mean after seeing the softball Sadaam interview last week I have to ask two questions

Who would waste their time at a hippie rally agaisnt a war.

Can I get my hour back?
    Why did we need only filler if you have nothing to hide why nto address the controversy..oh wait oyu can't cause your actually doing all those things ...

5. thread starter macrumors 603

janey

I would. I respect the President, nevertheless war is NOT the answer to everything. It's not a hippie rally and the last time i checked there were thousands if not millions of people nationwide, no WORLDWIDE, who are against the war.

6. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

so if millions of people jump off the bridge then I should too, i think war is the answer every once in a while we need a good war to show our capabilities i'm not sure sadaam will listen.

7. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    good for you uber....do what you think is right.

check out www.moveon.org too.

8. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

That = Mass conformity.

'I Think our Military needs another battle, bigger than afganistan. LET GO AFTER IRAQ'

GEEZ do you have to go alone? NO. Not at ALL.

I don't want people to die, how about you?

And calling it hippie is just over the top, really.

9. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

millions of people die everyday in africa and i'm not crying for them everyday why shoudl I cry about a few hundred people that might die in this encounter. In the 1993 conflict in Somalia we lost 19 men and estimate have us killing about 1000 natives so i'm not worried about losing a fewppl. and hippies is justifed

10. thread starter macrumors 603

janey

well the majority of people worldwide don't give a damn about the war. Out of the people who do, the majority thinks that it is not the right thing to do.
    I don't jump off the bridge because everyone is doing it. I protest the war because I think that no matter what no country has the right to do something like this! Why attack the whole country instead of taking down Hussein and his cohorts?
    War never was and never will be the answer to anything.

11. thread starter macrumors 603

janey

So tell me why this country goes nuts because 6 people die in the war in Afghanistan? This country doesn't know what it means to kill people. When you kill people they DIE and you can never bring them back. You're saying that KILLING is nothing to worry about? what are you gonna say when you start to disintegrate atom by atom, dying a slow painful death after saddam nukes us?

12. macrumors regular

What are you going to say when you start to disintegrate atom by atom, or, say, die from some horrible chemical or biological weapon, because we didn't do anything about Saddam?

13. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

if i'm disintegrating atom by atom I will begin to pray and i don't think that if i'm coming apart at the atoms I will have many concerns

14. thread starter macrumors 603

janey

If we start the war Saddam will do it.
    If we don't he might or might not.
    What would you say?
    [sarcasm]Oooh a thousand people dead no big deal i don't care[/sarcasm]

15. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I like 'dem odds. He may or he may not wow i can goto sleep safe at night knowing that its quite possible for him to do sometihng despite no action on our part. andab out nuclear winter, in chicago were used to stron winters.

16. thread starter macrumors 603

janey

you even know what a nuclear winter is? it doesn't snow. :rolleyes:

17. macrumors member

There is not going to be a nuclear war in Iraq. There is not going to be a nuclear winter. You need a whole lot of detonations to get enough debris in the air to get that effect. There were many above ground tests over the years, and there was no resulting nuclear winter. Besides, wouldn't that be a solution to global warming? ;)

"War is not the answer" is a marketing slogan if there ever was one.

Sometimes, war is the answer!

18. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

sure. sometimes war is a necessary evil. however in this case it is most certainly not the answer.

i am curious whether you have actually ever read anything about iraq the un the inspections.

sadaam is cooperating. sadaam has been successfully contained for years now. sadaam has not in any way threatened the safety of the united states. Bush has made no case that sadaam has weapons of mass destruction, in fact the only information he has released has been found by the UN to be wrong. there is no evidence of an immediate threat to the safety and well being of the united states.

iraq is completely surrounded and contained. they have no threatened the united states ever.

the majority of americans and the world is against this war. how can you claim it is justified when most of us do not want a war? the majority is not always right, but you have to wonder if americans dont want this war then why is bush pushing for it?

all war is evil. war can only be justified when there is reason to believe that only by war can a greater evil be avoided. this is not the case with iraq. you do not care about death? it sounds to me like you are the real moster here. consider the many thousands of civilians that will die as a result of this war. the UN estimates are for 500,000 civilian casualties and 2 million people displaced.

but perhaps all you care about is your own ass. then consider that this war to prevent the use of weapons of mass destruction will undoubtedly result in the use of them. how is that for hypocracy? this war has a greater chance of triggering what we want to prevent than not going to war. how can you justify the war in this case? it is also likley to infuriate the Muslim world and solidify them against us. this war will undoubtedly stimulate more terrorism than it could possibily hope to prevent. we have already greatly damaged our relations with our allies by being the agressor in this situation.

people like to use hitler metaphors in this situation. but hitler was the one who attacked first. he even sold it as a preemptive strike. so if the us goes to war with iraq agaisnt all logic and international pressure to do otherwise, who here shoudl we be framing as hitler?

19. macrumors 68000

e-coli

N. Korea is a much bigger crisis right now than Iraq. They're one of the largest arms dealer on earth, and they're developing nukes. Now that's a crisis worthy of a war.

Bush is barking up the wrong tree, and alienating the rest of the world. That's why I'm opposed to war with Iraq.

I'm not a big fan of people who are completely anti-war in all situations. Sometimes war IS necessary. Like it or not.

20. macrumors 6502a

748s

Here is a one question multiple choice test. In the answer you will
    find the value of bombing Iraq.

World History 101 - Mid-term exam

This test consists of one (1) multiple-choice question (so you better
    get it right!) Here's a list of the countries that the U.S. has
    bombed since the end of World War II.

China
    Korea
    Guatemala
    Indonesia
    Cuba
    Congo
    Peru
    Laos
    Vietnam
    Cambodia
    Guatemala
    Grenada
    Libya
    El Salvador
    Nicaragua
    Panama
    Iraq
    Sudan
    Afghanistan
    Yugoslavia

----------------------------------------------
    NOW HERE IS THE QUESTION:
    In how many of these instances did a FREE government, respectful of
    human rights, occur as a direct result? Choose one of the following:

(a) 0
    (b) zero
    (c) none
    (d) not a one
    (e) a whole number between -1 and +1

21. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Re: the march 5th national moratorium against the war

War is not the answer we want, but it is the only thing that Saddam will understand, and it is the only thing we can do to keep him from doing something to kill thousands of innocent people. Wake up. Not everybody on this planet loves you. Terrorists and most Iraqui's won't think twice about attacking the US. Nice guys finish last.

22. macrumors 68020

G4scott

If we are quick, and do things right, we can eliminate any chances of Saddam doing anything against the US. He hardly has the capabilities to attack the US.

Not necessarily. We know where N. Korea's weapons are. They aren't hiding any. We don't know where and what exactly Saddam has. N. Korea is just using their weapons to try to gain leverage, and make themselves seen as a more powerful country. They're practically blackmailing us. They're like some psychopath with a gun. He'll shoot if you get close, and if you try anything he'll go bezerk. N. Korea is like a child with a tantrum. They need a b*tch slap from the international community, and they need to have their nukes taken away. N. Korea would only use their weapons as a last resort, since they know they'd be fuct if they actually used them. China, the US, and probably Russia would all find themselves attacking N. Korea. The stakes are too high for them to actually use the weapons, but their leader is a weirdo, so there is the possibility he may use them, but the chances are slim...

23. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

24. job
    macrumors 68040

job

You have Bill Clinton and his wonderful Presidential Directives to thank for that. As a result of legislation signed into law with his signature, it is illegal to assasinate any leader for any reason.

In the face of oppression, war is neccesary, whether you agree with it or not. Are you willing to tell me that we should have sat back and watched the Serbs "cleanse" Kosovo and Bosnia of ethnic and religious minorities? Do you actually believe that diplomacy, not airstrikes, could have solved that conflict?

25. job
    macrumors 68040

job

I think the Shiite Muslims in Southern Iraq and the Kurds in Northern Iraq, both of which have been persecuted by Saddam, "give a damn."

Without the no-fly zones and our discreet support, you would have ethnic cleansing not seen since the Third Reich. Would you be willing to have their blood on your hands?

Is the majority always in the right? Last time I checked, the Founding Fathers during the Revolution were the minority. Are you somehow connecting "majority" and "right?"