The Mars Volta

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dunepilot, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

has anyone else on here bought the new Mars Volta album? I have to say that I've listened to it very extensively over the last few weeks, and find it to be one of the most significant albums of the last decade.

Having seen both Sparta and The Mars Volta at concerts in the past few weeks I'm not so sad At the Drive-In split up. Now I have two great bands to follow. :D

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I too have been heavily listening to the Mars Volta's "De-loused in the Comatorium". I am very impressed by this concept album. They are up there in my list of favorite new prog rock bands along with dredg and sigur ros. I feel a certain kinship with some of these guys in mars volta because of some of the members being hispanic, from Texas and appreciative of the arts. I think my favoirte track at the moment is Cicatriz.

3. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Have to say I really don't like the Sigur Ros at all, but each to their own (7 minute one-chord slowed-down radiohead isn't my thing :D -sorry. rant over)

The Mars Volta were absolutely incredible when I saw them a couple of weeks ago. Cedric's vocal range and power has grown substantially and as a whole the musical experience felt almost spiritual ( I don't say that lightly).

Anyone thinking, as I did, that there was no way you could enjoy TMV and Sparta after ATD-I, should think again. We have lost but we have also gained.

I can't decide between Roulette Dares and Inertiatic Esp as a favourite track. Listening to the Roulette Dares is absolutely spine-tingling, but Inertiatic is almost prog-pop.

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

cool deal.

on the sigur ros thing... yeah i hear ya to each thier own. for me its about quiet being the new loud!

its 20bpm prog massage music that makes it brillant.

rock!