The Masters Tournament 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TyPod, Apr 12, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

TyPod

Interested to see who's watching, and your picks to win the green jacket.

I gotta go with Tiger, really want him to get another jacket and end the major drought!

What about you guys?

2. macrumors Core

MacNut

Id like to see Rory do it, currently even.

3. macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'd love to see Sergio Garcia finally win a Major....he's just so adorable. :D

4. macrumors P6

Peace

I agree with the winning part.

I'd like to see the 14 year old kid do it.

:D

5. macrumors Core

MacNut

And Phil is in the water.

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

TyPod

Sergio is definitely struggling so far. The big DJ is playing well!

7. macrumors P6

Peace

Ya. Dustin is gonna take this years Masters.

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

TyPod

Besides Tiger, I would be totally happy and fine with him winning. After all, he is american and dating Gretzkey's daughter ;)

9. macrumors member

Freddy Couples...

10. macrumors Core

MacNut

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters13/s...asters-tiger-penalized-2-strokes-ball-drop-15

11. Peace, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

macrumors P6

Peace

Tiger got screwed just like the kid from China did.

Agusta is now on my list.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't there an official standing right around when a golfer makes his drop ? The official should have known at that time if he broke a rule.

12. macrumors Core

MacNut

I believe the golfer has to ask for assistance first.

13. ucfgrad93, Apr 13, 2013

macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

How did Tiger get screwed? He dropped 6 feet away from where he should have.

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters13/s...asters-tiger-penalized-2-strokes-ball-drop-15

14. macrumors P6

Peace

I believe the rules state you can't drop the ball so as to make it closer to the hole. I've seen players go back a club length away from the drop spot before without being penalized.

15. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I don't think there are many clubs that are 6 feet long.:p

16. macrumors P6

Peace

Tiger may be known for infidelity problems but he is not a cheater at golf.
    It was an honest mistake. Even Bubba Watson said so.

"But current players were positive in their reaction, though defending champion Bubba Watson bristled at the idea a TV viewer can change the course of a tournament by calling in with their observations.

Watson, after shooting a third-round 70 to climb to 2 over, said unlike the TV viewer who raised the issue Friday with Masters officials, he wouldn't even know who to call if he saw someone breaking a rule.

"So I don't even know how these people get a number to call," Watson said. "And obviously they got more time on their hands than I do, because I don't know the number and I'm playing in the golf tournament." Watson said he was glad Rule 33 was adjusted.

"It should protect us," Watson said. "The sad thing is the high-profile player gets the camera on him at all times. A guy could break a rule and not know he broke the rule. Like me today, there's no cameras on me today, everybody could care less what I was doing."

But Watson said TV viewers shouldn't be able to affect how players make rule decisions.

"So when somebody calls in like that, yeah, it shouldn't be that way, it shouldn't be allowed," Watson said. "Nobody calls in during a basketball game or a football game."

17. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I don't doubt that it was an honest mistake, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be penalized for breaking the rules. He wasn't disqualified from the tournament, just given a penalty.

18. macrumors 603

If the competition committee thought it was an infraction, why didn't they determine this yesterday when they first talked to Tiger about this incident? They questioned it originally, made the determination that nothing was wrong before the round was over, he signed off his score card, and went home.

Then some TV viewer calls up and whines and all of a sudden they reverse the decision? It just sounds shady.

If there was a legit violation with his drop, they should have made the decision then and imposed the penalty yesterday.

19. macrumors P6

Peace

It's that good old boys. White only Agusta management.

Billy Payne is an embarrassment to golf.

20. macrumors 603

Sadly the entire sport of golf is an embarrassment to golf sometimes.

Fun sport to play but I absolutely can't stand some of the old ****s with their good old boys attitude about it. Some of them definitely need to get off their high horse.

21. Plutonius, Apr 13, 2013

macrumors 601

Plutonius

The sad thing is that the officials reviewed it at the time and found nothing wrong.

Tiger should have known better but can you blame him when the officials can't even get it right :D.

The TV viewer actually called just after Tiger made the shot. The officials immediately checked it out and decided nothing was wrong.

Tiger's problems actually started when he described his shot during an interview after the golf round. The officials decided to look back at their ruling, changed their decision, and decided to penalize Tiger 2 shots.

Nothing shady went on. It was just a bad decision by Tiger and very bad officiating.

22. thread starter macrumors 68000

TyPod

What do you guys think, can Tiger come back from 4 down? I'm pulling for Tiger, Snedeker, or Stricker. Would love to see any of them win.

23. macrumors P6

Peace

Not gonna happen. Masters history says one of the top five on the leader board will win today. I'm pulling for Jason Day.

24. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I agree, bad choice by Tiger and very bad officiating.

25. macrumors newbie

He wasn't aware that he was violating a rule, and I'm sure a few officials felt the same.