The Matrix Online... Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Jan 30, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

any clue of a mac version of this game? i'd give my left testical for it... :p

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've not heard anything about it. I THINK, not certain, that it is a DirectX game, without an OpenGL option, so it's unlikely we'll see a Mac port.

Unless a game is designed from the ground up for either Mac or cross platform opertion it's unlikely to see a port. We get lots of FPS (first person shooters, not frames per second) because most of them are based off the same engines, so once those get ported the actual games are fairly straight forward.

A game like Matrix Online would have to built from the ground up with cross platform compatibilty in mind to ever make it to OS X... as we haven't heard anything about it yet, I would guess you never will.

On a related note, I priced out building a gaming PC today, and ended up with a small machine (microATX form factor) with an AMD 2200+, 512mb RAM, NVidia 6600ultra, 40gb HD, a CD-ROM drive, small microATX case and powersupply, and a KVM, and it ended up at just $500, which isn't a whole lot more than you would spend to get enough RAM and good enough GPU to make a PM able to play games on par with this PC.

Rob

3. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

damn, i expected that answer, i just dont want to accept it, lol.

sadly, i dont have 500 bucks to blow on a simple gaming PC, and even if I did I probably wouldnt... college student here

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's a shame you're willing to mutilate yourself for this game, as it's going to suck. A lot. Then again... to each his own.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya I hear ya... if it's any consolation, all the things I've heard about this game make it sound like it's going to suck... bad. If you want a MMORPG there's always WoW, or if you want a Sci-Fi type game, there's Vendetta (a cross platform MMORPG).

Everyone loves WoW, and Vendetta looks promising, but my friend beta'd it and said it was still lacking... once they add in some more features and content it will be fun, he says.

Rob

6. applekid macrumors 68020

The reason that makes The Matrix Online very unlikely is because of it's a MMO game. MMOs haven't been too popular on the Mac. NCSoft stopped porting any more games after Lineage most likely due to the lack of popularity.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I do wish NCSoft does port City of Heroes though! That game looked like fun!

As for The Matrix Online, I heard the same as the others; that it blew. Big time.

I suggest you check out WoW.

8. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Listen, if you gonna criticize a game that you didn't play and use phrases like "I heard the game blew", you shouldn't even be taken seriously. Frankly, I can build a better case that you say that BECAUSE it's currently a PC only game.
    The game is in beta testing right now. And with every patch the game gets better and better. If you are going to make assumptions based on some screenshot or opinion of some anti-pc zealot who launched the game maybe 3 months ago just to re-assure his self created belief that the game sucks, I suggest you don't even try it. For one, graphics are way ahead of WOW, and so are the visual effects. Story line? Well thats a personal opinion. If you are into purple elves casting spells (and yes I played WOW), then please play Wow. If you are into Matrix movies and storyline, I don't see how WOW will help.
    Sure it's still bugged, but this is what Beta is for. The community is very close and by no means I consider this game sucky or boring even at this stage.
    You think City Of Heroes is good? Well play that for 3 months and see if you won't find it boring afterwards (No offense).

I suggest you don't try to slam the game you have not seen that is currently in a Beta stage and will remain so for a period of time I can't disclose (remember stores have appx. goal date from the publisher).

I'd love to show you a RECENT movies and screenshots, but NDA prohibits me to do so. You can however go to main MxO site and check out published screenshots (some older, some recent). Check out the link in the signature.

As for the game coming to the Mac, current PR respose is: "Currently the game is being developer for Windows platform only".

Don't hold your breath.

Agent Reset
    -MxO Focus Group.

9. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I know alot of people who are playing Star Wars Galaxies that are holding off WoW and others for The Matrix Online. Sounds awesome. However, I'm sure everyone will want to become 'The ONE'. Personally, i think the reason WoW has done so well is because of their Mac compatibility. Everyone i know with an Apple computer is playing WoW. course, there aren't alot of people in my region who use macs, but then again, there aren't alot of people altogather.

They'd do better if they brought their game to the mac. will they? no.

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The only reason I need to hate on TMO

[​IMG]

I rest my case.

11. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

PWNED! Anyway my nerd friend who is all about gaming said it isn't going to be that good, that one dude looks like he works for the production house as an anti-flame agent. I'll play it to see how cool it is, but don't have high hopes.

12. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

LOL. Whoever created this poster has not seen this game. I guarantee it. I'm playing the game and was on both world1 and qa server, and it's very rare that you meet anyone who tries to knock off neo looks and skills. And the names? Well only name I saw one guy who was named "Neeeeoooo" (and he was lvl 2)
    You also can't really replicate Neo/Smith skills fully.
    Plus that City Of Heroes poster on the back kind of makes me wonder who was behind that comic.

BTW, if you weren't so damn lazy and went to the main site, and checked out the screen shots, you'd see that it's not very popular to make neo or trinity or any main characters for that matter.

You can't be taken seriously if you have no idea what the game is. But if you look for more reasons to hate the game that is not released, I'm sure you can find more trash about it, especially at COH/starwars forums.

13. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Neo was a novice.

14. archer75 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but lineage sucked hard. No wonder it wasn't popular in North America. On the PC or the mac.

I played the Matrix Online a few months ago in beta and it did suck. But I just started playing again last night and they fixed alot of the issue and added a ton of content. It's gotten much much better.

I have wow and it sucks. I guess if you are new to mmorpgs and it was your first it is cool. It's really just alot of hype people are buying in to and from what i'm reading it's getting boring for alot of them. There just isn't much depth to the game.

15. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

That is correct. Game was very bugged up until January patch. And honestly it still is. But it is much, much better. This is what the beta is for. We are currently having a stress test (after server character wipe) that is open to the general public for a week. I'm afraid all stress test keys at this point have been given out, however. The next stress test is scheduled at the end of the February/ beginning of March. If you want to see what the matrix is about, check back the site and try it out for free when the time comes.

16. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

I've never played it, and have no idea myself, However,

A friend of mine who has a current sub for WoW and is in the tmo beta says that he is liking the recent beta builds of tmo better than WoW now.

The comic is funny and was one of my first thoughts about the game... 10 million neo's running around :) but won't be what the game is really like, I'm sure.

EDIT: I'm not holding my breath for a mac release...

17. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Frankly i've looked at the screen shots and it looks pretty sick to me :cool:

although i heard that its going to have a monthly fee..... which kinda sucks cause this game looks pretty awesome.

Especially the fact that you can go almost everywhere(least that what it said in an ad). Holy crap thats awesome.

18. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

You can go anywhere. And into any building. Not all floors in the buildings are designed as of right now so many floors are off limits. But as time goes on, more and more content will be added. If you have a hyper jump (skill that allows you jump high and pretty far [upgradeable]) you can jump even on the roofs of 80 floors buildings and have a picnics there (if that's your thing).

19. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Stress Test 02 is beginning now. Anyone with an access to a decent PC is welcome to sign up. Keys will be giving out Starting March 01, 2005. For more info visit: This Site

------------
    Reset Focus GP.

20. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

though i'm not a big online gamer (PS2), i've been keeping an eye on what sega has been working on. and i've heard from everyone that matrix online "looks like @#!!$" it bothers me that all we think about is graphics, whereas this game will allow you to basically do whatever you want in this matrix city. interactivity is what good graphics is - if you comared halo to GTA you would easily say that halo has better graphics, but you would play GTA for the interactivity with the people on the street and driving any car.

i dont hear anyone saying shenmue online looks like @#!!$ whereas shenmue is nowhere near as close to completion as the matrix is. but shenmue is looking gorgeous. considering sega is a bit of an underdog developer, i really hope they get back on their feet. kinda like apple.

21. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Actually I think it looks better than most other MMORPGs. But those who check it out can make up own mind.

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Coming from playing DaoC for exactly 30 days (what a waste of $50 that game was), UO for about a year, and MUDs for about 10 years on and off, I can safely say that WoW is a thoroughly enjoyable game for a non-first time MMORPG player.

The game looks and sounds nice, controls pretty well (thought they do need to improve the standard interface, you shouldn't NEED a mod to play the game past lvl 10), has tons of content and player option, and is challenging without being overly difficult.

I'm looking forward to some of the higher level content, and most eagerly to the introduction of battlegrounds.

Rob

23. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Thanks for the info Rezet. I played it all last night. The game has seriously awesome graphics. I think so anyway. The game is laggy as hell, but it's beta time, and it's not so bad in uncrowded areas. The game engine is sweeet. It really sticks with the story line. That comic strip was written in ignorance.

When the game is finally released, will they let you create more than one character?

24. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Your feeling is shared by many in the Matrix. It's good but still needs some work done. The new patch is coming shortly and developers count that it should bring the game to retail standards and perhaps pass them? :)
    Anyways, game can be little complicated but I will be glad to help you.
    If you will be playing the beta, /t Reset and I'll be glad to assist you with the questions you may have.

As far as it is known right now, there will be 1 character per server. But it is expected for a user to be able to move a character from 1 server to another when needed. On what basis the servers will be divided is not yet decided but it's most likely that it will be by loacation. As of right now people can play together or solo, challenge a person to a duel (acceptance of other player is required to fight), or enter full PVP zone in the matrix where it's all out war zion vs machines vs merovengian.

25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Not another genitalia thread....

I didn't know that miniATX cases had AGP slots or even supported 2200+ processors. The must that I've seen is a PCI slot, integrated video card, and ~1 GHz processor with fan and 600 MHz for a fanless.

Where are your links, because I'd like to see them. More because I want one and can't get it :D