iPad "The Maximum number of free accounts have been activated on this ipad"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iCloudNOTFree, Apr 1, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I bought this ipad 2 brand new few years ago. Now I can't sell it because Apple wouldn't allow my ebay buyer to use his own Apple ID on it. It gives this error message:

"The Maximum number of free accounts have been activated on this ipad"

Anybody know any solution to this ?

2. macrumors G4

Night Spring

From what I can tell, this happens when your buyer tries to set up a new iCloud account on the iPad (presumably, the iPad has been used to set up 3 iCloud accounts already). If your buyer can set up a new iCloud account on a computer or another iDevice, he should then be able to sign in to that account from your iPad.

Stupid limitation for people trying to sell or gift their iPads. :(

3. macrumors 65816

That error message only comes up when you're trying to create a new icloud account. Each device only allows you to create a handful of free icloud accounts to prevent people from having free unlimited storage.

Seeing as you probably did not state that your device included a free brand new iCloud account you didn't do anything wrong. He can also just use his regular Apple ID.

If the buyer has to A:

- Buy iCloud storage to create a paid iCloud account.
    - Create a free iCloud account on a different device and then use it on the iPad.
    - Let you create a free iCloud account on one of your other iDevices for him.