The "Maybe Thread"

Discussion in 'Community' started by taeclee99, Feb 13, 2004.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2002
    Anywhere but here
    After couple months of delays and excuses, I finally got the nerve to ask out this girl that I had this mad crush on. Nothing too threatening, just a simple lunch. We seemed to have a good chemistry and I thought it might be possible that she could like me back. I think I may have been too optimistic.
    Well, the answer I got was one that I was not expecting, a maybe." From my understanding, in this context "maybe" most likely means "no."
    So I have decided to drop this whole thing and not ask her out again for a more definitive answer. Am I making the right decsion? For all you peeps out there, what does "maybe" really mean? Does it really mean "no?"
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    STRAP ON A PAIR and ask again. sorry dont take that too hard

girls scare the living crap out of boys (at least once in our lives)

if she says no then its no.
    if she says maybe again, then its probably no
    if she says yes then its yes (lets assume shes not lying)

if u really like this girl just ask her again the worst that happens is she says no, and rejection isnt as painful as its made out to be
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004

Ok well....this isn't really going to be much help...but....
    from my experience there are two types of people
    1. who say maybe and mean no
    2. who say maybe and mean yes

there is no way to tell what type of person this girl my advice is to go ahead and ask her out because my philosophy is that "it never hurts to try"

good luck whatever you decide to do
  4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Maybe means one of two things in my experience:

It means she doesn't know and wants to think about it, leave it a few days and ask her again.

It also means no, but she doesn't want to upset you with a flat no, she's hoping you won't ask again, in which case you should ask again and this time follow up with a "are you really thinkiing about this or just being nice" type comment.

Honesty in relationships is the only way to go, don't play games.

This may be the hardest lesson to learn.
  5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    What can you loose ? I mean really ? What can you loose if you ask her again ? In the worst case she says "no". Then there is no difference if you had not asked her. But if she says yes - you are fine. ;)
  6. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2002
    Anywhere but here
    The reason why that I am leaning against asking her out again is because this is at work. I do not want to come across as being too pushy and do not wish to scare her off. If this happens, it will create an uncomfortable workplace environment for both of us.

I am going wait this out for several days or so. If she appears distant and tries to avoid me, I will drop this whole matter altogether.

If this was some girl that I met someplace else, I would not hesitate to ask her out again. But since, this is at the office, I have to tread cautiously.

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't Ask, Tell her to go out with you!

Girls like guys that are confident and sometimes even cocky. So, don't be all like "you think you might wanna go out sometime maybe" stuff.

Just go up to her and say "I am off tonight, where do you want to eat out at?" It works everytime!
  8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    my friend got the same dilemma earlier this week and I think he kind of blinsided the girl ... that might be partly my fault since we pressured him to go talk to her like as soon as he told us he was considering it ... she said maybe and he was kinda stressed but i don't think he really cares too much
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I also think that you should ask her out again. It is really hard to know what a girl is thinking. Unless you ask you will never know. She may just be shy.
  10. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002

can we get a bunch of girls to verify this?
  11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ask her out again. Persistence will sometimes win a woman's heart.

Of course, if she says no, don't ask again. But you knew that. :p Be confident though. Have a place and time in mind but if either doesn't work out for her, be flexible. If you're comfortable with it, don't phrase it as a question (this can be hard). That's not a huge deal, but it helps. MAKE DIRECT EYE CONTACT AND DON'T BREAK IT.

You might say something like "Let's go to Taco Bell for lunch tomorrow." Mix and match with a restaurant of your choosing though.

Good luck!
  12. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    Don't just ask her out again. Take it up a level. Do something memorable, something that tells her how much this means to you. If "maybe" means she's still mulling it over, that means you've got your foot in the door, but you need to widen it. You've got to do something that impresses her and makes her want to be with you more.

How old are you, anyway (it would help to know what age group we're dealing with)?