The McDonald's Diet

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sun Baked, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Okay then, even more of a reason not to eat at McD's. With the exception of hash browns, and the orange Hi-C.

3. mms macrumors 6502a

WOW. Not a smart thing for the guy to do though. Even if he was making a documentary, there has to be some better way to show how bad McDonald's is.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You will have to give him credit, he's willing to eat for his work. It is hard to write about something is you haven't had a chance to experience your product.

5. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What was his first meal on day 31? I'm really so glad I don't eat there any more....

You have to wonder how this will affect McDonald's ... it can't be good for their image.

D

7. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Somehow, I think that this is a hit piece.

I've seen lots of people eat at McDonalds for long stretches of time. When I was working fast food retail (McDonalds), quite a few of the full-time salaried managers only ate McDonald's food, and while some were fat and unhealthy, some were fit and trim.

8. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

yeah, it has a lot to do with genes too. Still, those lean guys might have insane cholesterol levels and know nothing about it.

9. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Lately I've been really turned off by food at MacDonald's. Their burgers look... gray!!! I don't know; every time I eat there I feel like the food is fake, you know? Like I'm eating plastic, or worse... Soylent Green, anyone?

Bleeegh!

10. James.Paul macrumors regular

I've got to say though I think this is a bit unfair, if you choose to eat the same thing for 30 days then you will become ill with some problem. Your body will become deficiant of some key element. I enjoy a Big Mac or two, maybe three or four but i wouldn't go there day in day out. I don't think i have ever seen a McDonalds advert saying that a BigMac is the healthiest thing on earth. There are far worse things in this world to eat and drink. You should see some of the kebabs i have enjoyed at 4.00am on a Sunday morning after a few pints of Stella Artois.

The key to all this is personal choice, McDonalds offer a choice and whether people eat there or not is upto them. If i feel like i want a MacDonalds i'll go, if I feel like having a healthy fried breakfast i'll have that or if i think i'll be healthy i'll have a nice salad or something.

How may other products do you hear that we shouldn't eat that because it contains some cancer causing agent and then hear something saying that you should eat that because it stops you haing a heart attack. Whatever you eat and drink it is a lottery out there. You know you could spend years picking and choosing what to eat, trying to be healthy then go to a shop to by some healthy muesli and get run over at a traffic light by some colourblind old lady who thought that red meant go.

Saying all this, I do think parents should be a bit more responsible to their kids though and educate them a bit more.

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    this is a second thread on this story, but it sitll grosses me out haha

12. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I still like the odd MacDonalds, but I would not eat there all the time. In europe the food is of a higher quality than the US, France has the highest quality MacDonalds food out of all the countries I have been to.

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Isn't "high quality" & "McDonalds" in the same sentence an oxymoron?! :eek:

I wouldn't have done what this guy did. Granted, it was to prove a point, but it obviously stunted his health. I won't ever skip a meal, but I'd starve before eating crap from that place anyday.

14. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Is it Tuesday? :D

15. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Let me just relate my story about McDonalds when I was working for one.

I had two stints, one was as an hourly employee working the cash register and grill, and another as a salaried assistant manager.

Hourly employees get a discount, like 1/2 price for food, and most took the opportunity to eat there during their 3 breaks for an 8 hour shift. Salaried employees got their food for free, and its not uncommon to have 10 hour shifts, especially if you are doing the night shift.

Salaried employees work 5 days a week, sometimes, more if another manager happened to get sick and they want the overtime pay. Also, it usually takes 2 or 3 managers to run a store, especially if its a busy store.

The food at McDonalds isnt bad. There is plenty of variety to stay well nourished and healthy. There are salads as well. I bet this documentary guy did not do salads.

Thats why I think this is a hit piece. It does not come into sync with my long experience with McDonalds.

16. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>Frohickey

Somebody finally is setting Morgan Spurlock straight...

17. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

That was a very interesting read. (though I don't want anything to do with MSNBC, they are anti-Mac! :mad: )

These days, any news about Mcdees is bad. :p :)

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Sun Baked, you beat me to posting that.

Spurlock basically ate like a pig in slop and didn't exercise. Anyone's health is going to go down the crapper if all they do is sit on their butt and eat 5,000 calories a day.

Lethal

19. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

And now Jared goes to Spurlock and hands him a Subway sandwich...

20. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I think it's the cheese, fries, fried apple pies, hash browns, and milk shakes that are the real bad stuff on their menu.
    You can eat pretty much anything you want and stay relatively healthy as long as you work it off.
    I remember working physically demanding jobs and I regularly ate at the fast food places because of pressed time. I stayed in great shape.

It's very simple, AMERICANS ARE LAZY; at least when it comes to physical exertion.
    That's probably why I see so many guys around here with big ol' beer bellies

21. dethl macrumors regular

I've seen it.

I saw Super Size Me. Great movie! After watching it, I've lost the mood to eat at any fast food resturaunt ever ever again, espically considering my father passed away 2 months ago from a heart attack. I also decided to move dorms in my college to get away from our campus meal plan, so I don't have to eat the crap our cafeteria makes everyday.

For those of you who haven't seen it: go.

22. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Whenever I eat McDonalds I can actually feel my arteries cloging. I know its all mental but the feeling is always there.

It never happens at any other fast food joint though. :confused:

23. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems Soso Whaley was actually able to lower her cholersterol level on her McDonald's diet.

But that was probably varying the menu, exercise, and limiting the calories.

---

The reason we probably feel like we are clogging the arteries at McDonald's is the size of the meals, we cannot even get the small meals anymore unless we order a Happy Meal.

And the level of hydrogenated fat in the veggie oil is probably worse than the beef tallow it replaced.

They had brought the Manager's Specials back with stores offering the double, kiddie fry, small drink for a couple bucks. But it died as soon as the $1 Menu appeared.

Value means a lot of food, but people can't stand to toss half the food in the trash. So that 2nd half of the meal goes straigh to their ass.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. :D

Lethal

25. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

Whenever I eat at mcdonalds I get a sinus infection. :confused:

Needless to say, I stay away.