The Media Center

Discussion in 'Games' started by gkarris, Dec 12, 2006.

Which system do you think will be the Media Center?

1. Microsoft PC, XBox 360, Zune

6 vote(s)
  2. Apple Mac, iTV, iPod

14 vote(s)
  3. Sony PS3, PSP

1 vote(s)
  4. Hodge-Podge (Wii, Tivo, Linux, iTV, HD-DVD, any combo)

16 vote(s)
  5. A TV and a VCR...

4 vote(s)
  1. gkarris macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Which system do you think will win out as a media center?
  2. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    Think Different..

I have a hodge-podge of different stuff. I use mainly a Tivo with a DVD burner to save the videos. I also use an XBOX 360 for HD-DVD. I have a Wii and PS2 for games. Hope to get a PS3 when games I want are out and for Bluray stuff. My PSP has some videos on it (nice screen) but have a lot of stuff on my iPod (which of course Apple has the content).

I voted for hodge-podge. People don't like being stuck to one company's quirks...
  3. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    PS3 = Sony Media Center?

For the longest time, I've heard of Sony coming out with an online media store. I've been wanting Stargate TV series online, but I heard that Sony (who owns MGM) was saving it for its own store. I guess it changed when MGM did a contract with iTunes and Stargate SG-1 is being cancelled.

But, I hear Sony is launching its store on the PS3. Talk about super-proprietary (unlike Zune Marketplace on PC or iTunes). You have to get a PS3 to get onto their store?

I hear then you can watch stuff on the PS3, download it to a PSP, and continue where you left off. Cool, Sony's put a bunch of thought into it. Too bad their systems are so proprietary.

I was a Betamax fan back in the day. But there were really only 2 formats. Nowadays, there's much to choose from...
  4. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    The solution that will be most successful will be the one that excepts a hodge podge of hardware and peripherals.

People dont like to have dictated to them the format they are to use and the hardware. They just expect whatever they buy to work with everything else.
  5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    Well, for me my media centre is just my Macbook with all my films and music ripped onto it attached to my 24" Dell monitor. When I do get a 360, it's not gonna be part of any media centre though.

I think in reality the most popular media centre will just be a TV attached to a DVD player for a good few years yet.
  6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Actually I think most consumers just want it to work (well, easy, etc), and if that means buying all Apple products, or getting all Microsoft products, they won't have a problem with that.
  7. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I say none. I'm as techie as the rest of us MR folk, used to used my old Xbox as a media centre hub (files from my old laptop, PowerBook, etc) but as soon as I ditched my TV and simply bought a big monitor and EyeTV I never looked back at a Media Centre. I don't even use Front Row anymore.

Which will be the most popular? As always - the most basic. That's even if it is needed. I just can't see demand for this from the mass public, my parents are more than content with a DVD Recorder/VHS combo and TV. Hell it takes anyone who doesn't bother much with computers a while to understand how my EyeTV timeshift functions work.

For now. None. By the time iTV is out (which it is in the UK ;) ) the market may have changed. It will happen but I just cant see it being for a couple of years.
  8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    The British iTV is enough to put anyone off all forms of media for life...:p

Buying and building a media centre suffers from two obstacles to its mainstream implementation:
    -It's expensive business. Buying the PC/Mac with all the sufficient specs (big hard drive, fast networking, fast processor) to act as the base of the media centre is pricey enough on its own, then there's the receptor for each individual TV, etc
    -It's pretty hi-tech, cutting edge stuff. Although it all seems pretty simple to most people on MR, and younger generations especially are becoming more tech-savvy all the time, I challenge you to try and explain wireless networking, media centres, digital media distribution, file formats, etc to anyone in my family over the age of 30. It would not be much fun. I consider my dad at least to be quite tech savvy, but he would not see the point or understand the concept of a media centre.

As far as I can see, integrated media solutions connecting PC/Mac and the living room will only become mainstream when those who understand the technology have the buying power to make a significant dent on the market. The only people who iTV will probably appeal to when it first comes out will be the older technology enthusiast, as they are the only ones who really have the means and the interest to take up the concept (people like me have the interest not the means, my parents have the means but not the interest). Thats only a very small segment on the market; certainly not the mainstream.

I also think that we might need to wait until DVD ripping and encoding becomes as easy as CD ripping and encoding - which is a while off given that this function isn't built into any mainstream media applications. I think it also has to become a lot quicker, so we might be waiting around for technology to catch up yet.

All imo. :)
  9. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Until there is a universal way of talking between the various systems, nothing will win.

Kinda like HD-DVD / Blu-ray fight.

You don't really need a media center so much as a way to connect everything together; laptops, desktops, personal music players, etc.

These proprietary systems for copy protection should be illegal.
  10. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    I personally think that each major cable provider will come up with their clunky version of a media center (almost there with PVRs) and most people will stick with that. (Gawd I hate my cable provider's PVR.)
  11. sb58 macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
    It could be either an Apple computer or a Windows Media Center PC, but the 360 and iPod would rock with it.
  12. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
  13. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

Aug 8, 2004
    America's Wang
    I started a thread a couple of days ago similar to this. I currently have a Toshiba DVD burning Tivo and a Wii. Personally, I hope online or on demand content delivery catches on and BlueRay/HD-DVD fails. I could care less about physical copies of content at this point. Any CDs I buy just get ripped and boxed up in my closet so why do i care about the packaging? (I still do buy CDs because Apple refuses to release lossless audio content).

I was using an airport express to stream my music wirelessly but it died. At this point, I am pretty torn as to whether I should get an Xbox 360 or wait for the iTV. The Xbox 360 already has everything that I can imagine that the iTV will have in addition to being a solid console. I usually am dissapointed by Apple products because I keep up with the rumors and they rarely live up to the hype.

Microsoft has the rental model going for it in my opinion as personally I would rather rent than buy all but my favorite films. Also as someone else said, Verizon, Comcast etc. are already offering content on demand for quicker and at comprable prices to what you can rent from Microsoft, Amazon etc. (I won't even consider purchasing from Apple until I can rent as I would really like something like this to replace my Netflix account). If any movie you could ever want was instantly available for a small fee why would I want to clutter up my shelves with films I might watch 2 or 3 times at most? The downside of Microsoft is that they nickel and dime you to death by requiring a subscription to Xbox Live and every little thing you want to do on the 360 costs extra....So i sit here and wait and hope that Steve and Co. and deliver...