the melting poles

Discussion in 'Community' started by chibianh, Nov 9, 2004.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Anyone ever see "The Day After Tomorrow"? The movie may be a big stretch of what can actually happen but we may see something similar in our lifetimes. Studies over the past few years have shown that the poles are warming rapidly.. roughly twice the rate of the rest of the globe. This can have dramatic effects on the world climate as this will affect the ocean currents which currently moderate the world climate. These ocean currents, for those that don't know, are caused by the temperature and salinity differences of parts of the world's oceans. The poles are the world's largest resevoir of fresh water and if any significant amount melts... well... I guess we'll find out soon, won't we!

Here's some articles for you to read if you're interested further.

http://news.google.com/?hl=en&ncl=h...com/news/science/20041109-9999-1n9arctic.html

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think the scientific community pretty much universally poo-pooed the scenario in "Day After Tomorrow".
    Check it out here

Whatever truth there is, is usually lost in the hype and special interests.

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

According to the movie theory, Cupertino is safe, isn't it?

Move to mexico before...

P.S : You won't probably see that effect but your kids at the end of their existence... :rolleyes:

4. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

The scientific consensus about the movie was that the events were not impossible, but the speed with which they happen was. Even if the Gulf stream stopped bringing warm water to the north Atlantic (which has happened in the distant past), it would not cause an ice age to happen nearly that fast. It would take many years to get that cold. The idea of ice encroaching so fast that 100 million people couldn't evacuate the northern U.S. is really ridiculous.

The environmentalists were split on whether the movie was useful for pointing out the threat of climate change or made them all look like fools. :rolleyes:

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That was really my point. The speed, etc. of the overall scenario was poo-pooed. I didn't express it as well as you did. I think the article does though. Thanks for clarifying.