The Middleground: Quotes of Martin Luther King Jr.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by silverback66, Feb 6, 2006.

1. silverback66 macrumors regular

Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.

I am not interested in power for power's sake, but I'm interested in power that is moral, that is right and that is good.

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.

If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.

If we are to go forward, we must go back and rediscover those precious values - that all reality hinges on moral foundations and that all reality has spiritual control.

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhwre. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.

It is not enough to say we must not wage war. It is necessary to love peace and sacrifice for it.

It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.

Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.

Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

Our loyalties must transend our race, our tribe, our class, and our nation; and this means we must develop a world perspective.

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.

Pity may represent little more than the impersonal concern which prompts the mailing of a check, but true sympathy is the personal concern which demands the giving of one's soul.

Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.

Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will.

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.

The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.

The moral arc of the universe bends at the elbow of justice.

The question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be... The nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists.

The time is always right to do what is right.

Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows.

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And if you actually lived by these words, you wouldn't keep getting yerself banned. ;)

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hey mac, i've got a martin luther quote for you:

Das Haar ist die reichste Verzierung der Frauen.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Don't you mean "das haar ist die reichsten verzierung der frauen"?

I disagree BTW.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that does seem more correct. in my defense 1) my german isn't very good, and 2) it was a cut/paste job anyway.

what say you?

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

A Google search shows you got that from one of those hair club sites. Funny stuff.

die Augen.

Well, not really, but if I said what I was really thinking I'd get banned. Just feeling ornery today. Figured I'd inject something into this thread that's about 2 weeks too late to be relevant.