The military and the media.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JesseJames, Oct 23, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

oh boy... just waiting for the flaming to start...

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

[​IMG]

Really, though, I don't like how little the media has covered the war in the first place. Now the military wants me to believe that what pathetic coverage there has been is overblown.

No.

4. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

A soldier from my former outfit at that! Go 1st Cav!!!

5. toontra macrumors 6502

With all due respect, why the **** should I be persuaded by this guy telling me what a wonderful job he's doing over the (theoretically, at least) independent world media.

Get real.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, as a measure of how truthful this rag is, click on the link to the Front Page. There you'll find links to articles by Wesley Pruden (whose distortion of the facts was profiled in Al Franken's "Lies...") and to an article which purports that the Valerie Plame case is actually a plot by the CIA to take down Bush.

Even with all its problems, the NYT still has better credibility than these people. :rolleyes:

7. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

(Sigh) This is exactly what I expected.
    I think Lt. Col. Ryan is just giving us the flipside of the media coverage. We all know how liberally slanted the media is and I wouldn't put it past them to do everything in their editorial power to undermine the efforts in Iraq.
    I'd stand with Lt. Col. Ryan any day with an M-16 or M4 for liberty and freedom against brutal oppressors than some flippant editor of a newspaper or newscast.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bwaahahahahahaaaahahahahaaa!!! Just because reality has an anti-Bush bias, you think it's theliberalmedia!

We all know how liberal the media is? You've got to be kidding me! You mean the media that didn't question Bush at all in the run-up to a war based on shoddy intel? Or the media that kept claiming WMD had been found in Iraq only to have to retract it time and again? How about the media that let the WH feed them lies from defectors and pass it off as unvarnished truth to the American people? Or do you mean the majority of newspapers that endorsed Bush in both '00 and '04? That liberal media? Or the liberal media that raked Clinton over the coals for lying to them, but then rolled over like lapdogs when Bush lied to them? Puhleeze.

Look, I'm sure individual soldiers have widely varying views. Would you like me to post a soldiers comments that are critical of the war? I have several examples, but I generally refrain from posing them because its such a cheap way to debate.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I look forward to some links to members of the Iraqi "resistance" showing similarly "unbaised" points of view of whats happening in Iraq.:rolleyes:

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh, that is good! :D

11. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd say the best journalist qualified to cover something like Iraq would be someone with military experience. Especially in the operations like G-2 and S-3 of combat units.
    Then they could truly understand what the hec is going on there instead of just giving us body counts. I'm sure they are just giving us half the story a lot of the time.
    This story is written by a Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Army in combat operations.
    And being a former combat soldier, and having had experience with men like him I can attest to the fact that they DON'T BULL****. They'll tell it to you straight up. This isn't about "the rag", it's about him telling his story and it's too bad that it wasn't featured in the likes of the NYT. I wonder why they don't.
    If journalists truly took their jobs seriously, they'd take the time to check everything before publishing or broadcasting. But of course it's the news business. Emphasize business, get the scoop. We can retract later.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps because they recognize that the guy's a complete loony:
    "They make a Desert and they call it Peace."

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay, you asked for it... Is this guy BSing us? Don't answer too quickly -- he's a Captain in the U.S. Army.

And since when do we get mainly body counts in the coverage of the war? I read a major, daily newspaper every day, and I rarely see any reports of U.S. casualties in Iraq -- which I think is kind of odd, given that they're dying at a rate of two a day.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh God, I'm so confused! Who to believe?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder if Lt. Col. Ryan will be threatened with court martial for voicing his opinion of the war while in uniform the way the way Leonard Clark was.

Probably not huh, since Ryan is a cheerleader for the war-loving conservatives and Clark isn't...

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what's that about forest and trees? if things are really going so well in iraq, i'd expect that the insurgency would have died down and iraqis wouldn't wish harm on the US or feel safer or feel things are better since the US took over. they don't.

17. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think this guy is wrong. We get the stories about insurgency, about suicide bombs and about killed soldiers, fair enough, but we also get the stories about the crackdowns and raids made on the insurgents. I don't think the media picture is lacking on the issues that he's addressing.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There were a lot of soldiers behind the war in the beginning. Still are some ex-soldiers and chickenhawks who support the war and call it supporting the troops no matter how bad things get. No matter how many screw ups, most of which come from the top. Poor planning, lack of equipment, cutting veterans benefits and such. And it's a different story when the soldiers I know come back. They don't have such rosy pictures to paint as some of these people. And yeah, I'm also waiting to hear more from the "liberal media" that is still pretty quiet on the whole Iraq thing with the exception of a blurb here and there.

Punditry doesn't count as news, and there's plenty of that on the other side anyway that's pro-war no matter what. This would be that. For every pro-war soldier who isn't a BushCo shill, there are how many others against it. Like Cindy Sheehan's son, Pat Tillman, my best friend Chris... I could go on.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The problem isn't that we don't know what's going in Iraq, but that we do know.

20. tristan macrumors 6502a

The article you linked to was from January! And it looks like things have gotten worse since January rather than better.

I've been watching "Off To War" on the Discovery Times channel. Not exactly sure when it was filmed, but I'm watching the national guard (the guys who signed up for "one weekend a month + two weeks a year" and are now shipped to Iraq for a year) get mortared on a daily basis in their own camp! It doesn't look like we're winning.

Which is a shame, because I think the war was winnable, even if we did get into it on false pretenses. But it's been so completely mismanaged that we've taken a difficult challenge and made it pretty much impossible now.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I read the first two paragraphs and was instantly -- instantly -- reminded of the "honest" and straightforward remarks from another "soldier on the front lines", Sergeant Corine Lombardo, who is in no way a groundpounder of any sort, but in fact with the 42nd Infantry Division Public Affairs. But of course that's not what we understood from the teleconference.

Something tells me a Public Affairs department cooked this crap up, too.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This reminds me of the Dale Gribble (sp?) line from King of the Hill. Something to the effect of, "who are you going to trust to tell the truth about cigarettes, the _government_? Or are you going to go straight to the source itself and get the truth from the tobacco industry?"

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We now have had over 7,500 casualties and 2,000 dead. Those numbers dont lie. Just this past week we had a local who died in Iraq......left 3 kids behind:( For what i cant say since Saddam didnt have WMDs and those who did 911 were Saudi and Bin Laden is still free and not in Iraq. We shouldnt ask our boys to carry out ******** missions riddled with politics and spin. I back our Troops 100%, I back the idiots having them there 0%

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You like that word dont you!:eek: It just pisses me off to see our kids killed for this war. We know from history of govts propaganda machine and once you get all that going its very hard to stop. Look at vietnam govt would still be sending our boys off to die if it wasnt for almost a revolution,hippie generation,etc.