The Military-Industrial Complex :(

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by princealfie, Dec 10, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

http://www.alternet.org/story/43780/

Eisenhower was a complete genius. one of the few brilliant republicans. It's strange how much the military mentality has pervaded our lives from the lack of gun control (boohoo) to the video game market (company of heroes eh?)...

Too bad we don't have a peace complex instead of the god complexx we have nowadays.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

All you got to do is follow the money into the plane makers, the bomb makers,Haliburton and the politicians campaigns. No surprise all these guys are getting rich over war. Even needless ones like Bush has us in.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think I begin to understand Dennis Kucinich's "Department of Peace" a little more clearly.

4. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

I highly recommend renting the documentary "Why We fight" should this be interest.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ike correctly warned of "too much" influence from the MI complex, but we needed the MI complex. The Cold War of the 1950s/1960s was a for-sure problem. Reagan's label of "Evil Empire" was absolutely correct.

But anytime you regulate any sort of activity, you're gonna have lobbying from that particular special interest group. Doesn't matter if it's the MI folks, farmers or pawnbrokers or gun-opwners. Special interest groups lobby. And it's their constitutional right to do so.

It's not lobbying as lobbying that's the problem; it's how that lobbying is done. Trial lawyers, the AMA and the MI folks: They all spread the money around...

'Rat

6. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

How do we ban the special interest groups?

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Reagan's label of "Evil Empire" was jingoistic and childishly simple. Like many governments, the Soviet government was misguided, oppressive, and committed atrocities. The scale of the Soviet government's "evil" was in many ways unprecidented, but the Soviet government also did a lot of good, even for us (for example, the civil rights movement was helped by the fact that US treatment of our black population robbed us of a lot of credibility in our foreign policy, and the Soviet Union could in some ways point to their better treatment of minoritie--the mere fact of debate made us have to start living up to our proclaimed ideals).

And while it's pretty easy to label Stalin as evil, would you say the same thing about Khrushchev? Gorbachev?

8. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Or Bush's axis of evil... there's North Korea, Iran, perhaps Germany and maybe China on occasion.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ban special interest groups? No more NAACP? Gay Pride? Trade unions? Small mom'n'pop businesses? Taxpayers?

Anybody who is affected by governmental actions has an absolute right to try to change the effects. That's the fundamental idea of a democratic republic. For us in the United States, it's built into the First Amendment.

Miloblithe, you can holler all you want about "jingoistic"--which is not at all pertinent--and about "childishly simple", but the label is still correct. Too many tens of millions of murdered people, too many decades of horrible repression for it to be otherwise.

'Rat

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Is the US evil? We had slavery. That was evil, and I can't imagine you'd try to justify it. That doesnt' make our entire country evil. Things just aren't that simple. you're talking about a HUGE country of hundreds of millions of people over 74 years. Summing it up with a single label is silly, especially when Reagan was doing it, which was probably the least evil period of Soviet history.

11. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

We don't need no special interest groups. They are all about money not about the ideas.

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

We don't. We just ban them giving money to politicians for their re-election campaigns which should be federally financed. Unfortunately, I think the Supreme Court said that money qualifies as speech. Of course, I don't know how ifne you'd have to split the hair to say that lobbyists shouldn't have speech rights while individuals should.

13. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yes, but special interest groups are the results of being bribed anyways. Regulation isn't good enough. We don't even need them in the first place. After all, if we are individuals we would be better off speaking for ourselves.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ah, but milo, I'd have to say that the effort of atonement for slavery, here--given our Civil War--was far different than the efforts to atone for the USSR's atrocities, by Russia. Er, uh, come to think of it, what efforts?

And the USSR came into being long after allegedly civilized nations had shown serious hostility against slavery. FWIW, I don't see much difference between life in the USSR and slavery...

Your comment about the USSR and our own civil rights movement is hooey. LBJ's views on that subject predated his presidency, by a long period. I don't doubt that it might have been part of his sales pitch, sly as he was, but the relative importance as a real contributing factor is pretty much negligible.

'Rat

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Surely, there is no one who does not recognize the control the MIC has on us? :confused:

16. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Or Boeing for that matter.

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Was Boeing singled out due to my published location? If so, it was a wasted point. It would be like me mentioning Morton-Thiokol to a Utah poster. Not really his fault he lives in a state totally corrupted by state religion, indifference to the environment and the systematic syphoning of federal defense tax dollars.

18. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yep, of course I secretly live in Seattle according to the published reports too! :eek: