The mind of a Windows computer

Discussion in 'Community' started by Nermal, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've just been using Windows XP over remote desktop, and thought some of you might be interested in what's been going through the mind of Windows in the last 10 minutes.

- I think I'll throw up an error saying that the file you're trying to paste is in use
    - So I'll un-cut the original file you had selected
    - Now I'll forget where it was
    - And I'll break the shortcut you had on your desktop
    - Oh, you managed to fix it. We can't have that!
    - So here's a ridiculously long error message
    - And now I'll crash remote desktop
    - Actually, I'll go a step further and disable networking completely
    - Now I'll sit here for 5 minutes, constantly accessing the hard drive
    - Time to bring networking back up again
    - But not remote desktop
    - Actually, I will enable remote desktop again
    - But I won't let you log in
    - So I'll drop you back to Mac OS
    - Oh, trying again, are you?
    - In that case, I'll shut down

Don't you love Windows? :rolleyes:

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I think my Mac is roffeling right now, but I can't be sure.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, it probably is, especially considering that Windows has subsequently decided to corrupt winlogon.exe and therefore refuse to work even in safe mode :mad:

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I have a friend whose computer is like that... every week there is at least one strange error that no one has ever heard of before. The best one was when, for a while, the only place unreal tournament 2004 would start up was the science building of our school. So if he wanted to play UT2004, he would have to start it up right after science (he has a laptop), then sleep his computer, and take it home to play... it was very entertaining...

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i don't see why a bunch of people seem to have so many problems with windows. the only problem ive had on *my* computer (my parents constantly screw up their computer and make me fix it) is i got a virus norton referred to as "bloodhound.packed" which actually means an unidentified virus. i shut down later that night and restarted in the morning and it wouldn't boot. some file missing. *all* my itunes gone, but thank goodness for podutil

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Since making that post, I have moved the HD into my Mac (for file recovery), then put it back in the PC, formatted, installed SuSE Linux 9.1, and am presently reinstalling XP, in VMware. My idea is that I can back up the VMware image once everything's running, then restore quickly when necessary.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

send it this jpg

Attached Files:

8. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Why go to all of that trouble? The coding in Xp means that it will do it all again anyway. Unless you are a power user, VPC seems like the obvious option for the use of Windows on a Mac, at-least it is semi stable.

9. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

VPC is as slow as molasses in winter :rolleyes:

I'm using the Windows system as a file and print server for all the other Windows computers in the house. I'm the only person in the house with a Mac. The reason for using Linux is so that I can slowly transition stuff across, for example I'm going to use Linux for printing. I'm using VMware so that I can run both Linux and Windows simultaneously, with two IP addresses, on one physical box.

10. niggiebro macrumors member

niggiebro

I got to be honest...OS X 10.3 is a great OS, but lets not talk about the legacy OS's...remember!!!

FYI, I have 5 PC's, one running W2K Pro, three running WinXP Pro, and one running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and to this day I've never had problems, other than user issues, but my network is work beautifully. ;)

Oh yeah, my iMac is in my room running OS X 10.3 and loving it!!! :D

I just can't get over how user friendly OS X is even File Sharing with Windows!!! It's as if they were made for each other.

Man I do remember OS 9.x..... :confused: