The Monaco GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, May 18, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

So then, round 6 already... :eek: which also just happens to be one of the most famous races in the world. :D

Usually Monaco can be a somewhat processional and tedious race, but occasionally, just occasionally it's throws up something a little different to spice things up a bit, as we saw in '84 and '92. ;)

Last years race was no different, a race which saw a car ending upside down on the barriers, one car entering the tunnel pointing forwards and emerging at the other end traveling backwards, and the race leader being taken out by a lapped backmarker. :eek:

I'd settle for such a race this year. ;)

Right then... predictions.

Qualifying.

1. Schumacher (he'll be on an aggressive strategy and will make it stick)
    2. Alonso
    3. Räikkönen
    4. Fisichella
    5. Barrichello
    6. Montoya
    7. Trulli
    8. Webber

Race

1. Schumacher
    2. Alonso
    3. Räikkönen
    4. Barrichello
    5. Fisichella
    6. Montoya
    7. Trulli
    8. Schumacher jr

Thoughts?

2. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

:eek: That was early. Gettin' the thread in early eh, iGav? ;)

I can't honestly say how Schumacher's gonna get anywhere near the front. With the awesome aerodynamics of the Renaults and the Mclarens, and the early season form shown by Toyota (not forgetting Trulli's awesome qualifying record) here are my predictions...

Overall qualifying (barring rain/snow/sleet/ German protestors...)

1)Trulli
    2)Fisichella
    3)Alonso
    4)Raikonnen
    5)R Schumacher
    6)M Schumacher
    7) Heidfield
    8) Montoya

I don't think the race positions will finish too unsimilar to that. Apart from that from start to finish I'd go for...

FInal standings (if not procession)

1)Alonso
    2)Trulli
    3)Fisichella
    4) M Schumacher
    5)Raikonnen
    6)Montoya
    7) R Schumacher
    8) Heidfield

As I said - I can't see much past the Toyotas, Renaults or Mclarens.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    omg its monaco already!!! uv got to be kidding me!!!

well my heart lies with the red...but i havetn been following so i cant give any speculation...

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Have to... first practice is tomorrow :eek: as they have Friday off at Monaco ;)

I think Ferrari might just go for a radical and agressive strategy, they literally have nothing else to lose.

I can see either Schumacher or Barrichello running light to gain track advantage for qualifying, although I wouldn't be surprised to see them both run light, and whoever gets to the first corner is allowed to race into the distance, whilst the other holds the pack back, allowing the leader to build enough time to pit.

Alternatively I can see them cripple Barrichello's race, by forcing him to go light, whilst Schumacher goes heavy and thus further down the grid. Then rather than belt off into the distance Barrichello will hold the field together for as long as he can to keep Schumacher in touch, and then once people start pitting we'll see Schu switch it on for several laps.

That's the type of thing I feel that Ferrari are going to have to do to win this race. If they don't, then it's a straight fight between Kimi and Alonso... simple.

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Anyone see Räikkönen's lap? absolutely jaw dropping... think of Senna's or Schumacher's finest and it's bang up there with 'em.... incredible confidence and speed :eek: and an amazing 1.2 seconds quicker than Montoya in the same car! :eek: certainly evokes memories of Senna's Monaco Master Class back in '88 when he was 1.4 seconds a lap faster than Prost in the McLaren! :eek:

Speaking of Montoya... he's been stripped of his time after causing a 3 car accident in practice this morning after brake testing Schu Jr... he should've been banned for a couple of races like Irvine was a few years ago. Either way Kimi's handily schooling him and making him look rather ordinary isn't he. :D

I'm really disappointed with Ferrari's performance. I know Schu was handicapped with having to go out earlier in the session, but to be a massive 2.4 seconds off the pace :eek: :( I just hope they decide to think f**k it and stick him on a 3 stopper (1 is the norm) and see if they can sneak him on pole, he'll be heavily compromised in race strategy, but when it comes to a driver having to race every lap like it's a qualifier then no one does it better than Schu... it's no good racing down in 10th.... they HAVE to take a risk.

Qualifying 1.

1. Räikkönen
    2. Alonso
    3. Webber
    4. Fisichella
    5. Heidfeld
    6. Trulli
    7. Coulthard
    8. Villeneuve

Thoughts?

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Final qualifying has just finished... Kimi's secured his 3rd successive pole position.

The only movers were Trulli and Schumacher, both up.

1. Räikkönen
    2. Alonso
    3. Webber
    4. Fisichella
    5. Trulli
    6. Heidfeld
    7. Coulthard
    8. Schumacher

There's suggestions that there may well be rain in the principality sometime during the race... we can but hope. :D

7. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I think Räikkönen will win he is probably heavy on fuel becasue of the large gap he had back to alonso. he must be light. just so long as he can stay in front to the first corner. Maybve webber will get on the podium it is hard to overtake there

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I might even stay up and watch this one. It could be good if there's some rain on the track. :)

9. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

The last rain race was won by Fisichella wasn't it - Brazil 2003. Should be interesting assuming Fisi wasn't just helped by his Bridgestones.

10. brap macrumors 68000

Oh god, why bring whiny ass Jenson in on commentary...? That man makes me want to claw my own eyes out.

Kimi to win, barring explosions.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I was thinking Alonso too.

12. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

you would be stupid to bet against kimi of alonso :eek:

13. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Looks like its gonna rain doesn't it! :rolleyes:

Eddie Izzard tho'! :D

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not all that sure what you're trying to say there, but yeah, cool. :cool:

15. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

LMAO now! Stormtroopers fuelling the Red Bulls! Maybe Yoda doing commentary soon? Looks like Freisachers spiced up the race completely...

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

17. brap macrumors 68000

Interesting. Pretty much another masterclass.

Crying shame Webber wasn't pitted earlier, the same goes for Michael taking out DC, although blame for that perhaps should fall on the jokingly awful Minardis. Villeneuve -- well, he's still an *******.

Props to Trulli for "taking one for the team"!! :D

Ralf nearly taking his brother out on the finishing line also a highlight ;)

18. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

hahahahahaha... that's exactly what I thought too! I'll give him his due though, I didn't think he did all that badly... and he offered up an insight into what it's like for a current driver, unlike Brundles sometimes irritating "much harder back in my day" stance, lets not mention Allen though who always sounds like an over excited school girl. :rolleyes:

heheh, surreal... :p

Was pretty good wasn't it ;) :D that's the thing with Monaco, it can always throw a curve on proceedings like... Stormtroopers and Chewy :p

Only perhaps? :eek:

Textbook race by Kimi, the McLaren/Michelin is just an incredible combo at the moment, looks like Renault is beginning its annual slide downwards it encountered last season, Kimi should overhaul Alonso quickly enough which I hope he does. I honestly think Alonso has been massively over hyped this season... Kimi though, he's coming together just dandy isn't he ;)

I'm really disappointed for Schu, just seems that if there's bad luck to be handed out, then he's on the receiving end at the moment... first Australia, then Bahrain, Spain and now Monaco.

Drive of the day by far though.... to come back from exactly 1 lap down, to still finish 7th and only 37 seconds behind the leader is incredible, and to snatch 7th and almost 6th within the last lap and to think some people still question his motivation.

According to reports, Rubens is really rather pi$$ed at Schu for overtaking him and unbelieveably on the F1 site I frequent, people are ranting about it, and that it was obviously team orders :mad: I just honestly can't believe it... all I ever seem to read is how Ferrari don't allow their drivers to race, yet when they do... and Schumacher overtakes, it just has to be team orders. Incredible. :rolleyes:

Anyway only a week until the next race at the 'Ring, however for those that are interested, it's unlikely I'll be posting "The European GP Thread" as my PowerBook is going in for repair at the Brum Apple Store tomorrow, and then I'm off on holiday later this week, so I doubt I'll get chance to post it... so if someone fancies taking on the responsibility. ;)