The Monitor by the side of the Road...

Discussion in 'Community' started by zach, Dec 30, 2004.

1. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Driving home from dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant last night, I noticed a large CRT monitor lying by the side of the road. Being the technology packrat that I am, I went to take a look.

It was a monitor that at first glance appeared in good condition, and was obviously being thrown out by the owner. So, again being the technology packrat that I am, I threw it in the car to take home (not without some trouble though, I could barely get my arms around it, and it weighs somewhere close to 70 pounds.)

So, I went home and googled the model number... BAM!

I had found myself a 21" Sony GDM-500PS. Better yet, it was a professional quality monitor, and it even accepts BNC input, as well as VGA. It even has a 1600x1200 native res.

So I just managed to score myself an admittedly dated monitor that still would cost more than 300 dollars sold new.

Now I just have to wait for my computer that can actually power a monitor at such a resolution to arrive (maybe I'll find one of those too ^_^).

Uh, I have no clue why I'm sharing this... But I had to tell someone.

2. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Yeah, does it work? Most monitors have a menu that allows you to adjust settings, you could see it if works by bringing that up.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The Monitor by the side of the Road...

...always seems to be a Samsung.

(in London, that is.)

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

That's a cool story. I wish I could find stuff like that on the side of the road.

I'd have to start driving first, though.

6. zach thread starter macrumors 65816

zach

Yeah, just checked it out.. It works.

Better yet, I just found an old, but still functional ATi graphics card that can drive the display at that res. Now I just have to pop it into my computer and BAM! High quality graphics ^_^

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

When you say that you "found" it, was it on the side of the road too? :D

Daniel

8. zach thread starter macrumors 65816

zach

No, that was in my gigantic "box 'o PCI cards" that resides in my attic. Along with my "box 'o cables", that's probably about 150 pounds of random computer equiptment I've picked up god-knows-where...

9. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Ah, I hear ya. I'v got a few of those boxes o' goodies too. Just random stuff that you will probably never need, but you keep around anyway, to take up space and pull out and look through every now and then. I know what you mean. ;)

Daniel