The Most Amazingly lucky ipod story ever.....

Discussion in 'Community' started by whw5, Feb 7, 2005.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

Hey Everyone, about a month ago my mini ipod was stolen right out of my backpack while I was in wrestling practice. As you all probably know, once something like that happens your changes of getting your ipod back are slim to none.

Well it just so happens that those slim to none chances are good enough for me because yesterday I was at the YMCA when I saw one of the older kids from the team working out. I walked over to talk mostly because I saw he had an ipod and I wondered if it was a shuffle.

He handed it over to me and to my surprise there was a sticker on the back of it. I promptly ripped off the sticker to find my name had unsuccessfully been scratched out on the back of the ipod. After a few well chosen words which I dont think I can repeat, he gave up trying to get it back and instead blamed it on the person he "bought" it from for 100 dollars. Well for buying stolen goods he is out the money so I could care less, and I have my mini back.

The bonus in this whole matter is that I saved the 130 bucks that I used to order a shuffle to take the place of my mini for working out. Now I can put that money towards a new display for my powerbook...

But anyway I just thought I would share my story because it probably had to be the most lucky ipod recovery ever.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

What if you ripped off the sticker and didn't find your name on it? Wow, that would have been embarrassing.

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Did you notice the play lists and get the idea it was yours, or you don't see many around and this was the same strange color as your was too.

Either way, congrats! Nothing like learning a lesson that isn't expensive!

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Inside job, should have had the other guy kicked off the team -- it unlikely it the first thing he's stolen out of other people's bags.

Can't leave people like that in the locker room, more stuff is likely to vanish.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

what an idiot. either for stealing it in the first place or for buying one with your name on it.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And then coming back to the scene of the crime with it.

I think both should be kicked off the team.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i agree with chip. did you report any of this to anyone? if he knows he bought stolen goods... well, thats trouble... :p :mad:

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

heh. . . bought it from someone. thats almost as good as 'im just holding it for a friend' its a wresteling team. i think you should tell no athority figure, but tell all your wresteling pals. that way in practice, they will be extra rough on the guy that stole it!!!

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Do not tell to any athority, first is childish, second you should resolve your problems at your own social level. Buth of you should go to the guy who stolen and give him a good leson and I do not mean "talking" to him.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Go to the guy who stole it? Don't you think that maybe that was just a coverup story, and he's actually the thief!

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

what's so childish about reporting a theft (and lucky recovery) of a $250 item? this isn't like he stole a bag of chips, you know...

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I dunno, I think your lucky this kid bought it and the guy didn't put it up on eBay .... I would personally give the kid like 20 bucks or 50 bucks or something ... now sure he was buying something way below market value, but in essence you just stole $100 back from him ... Its a moral dilemma for sure but this is just how I see it, if you want to report it to the police go ahead but i'm not sure what that will accomplish ...

14. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Like someone said before: He "bought" it is about as good as "I am holding it for a friend".

Besides, he can check the serial number and match it to the one he registered with Apple, or match it to the one on the box (if he still has it).

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I am a big fan of people paying for their sins.
    If the person bought the mini in good faith they can go and get their $100 back from whoever sold it. If the deal was shady then they should have known better.

It should be reported especially if you reported the thing stolen in the first place. If the police want to track down the guy who had it, its their prerogative. Most likely they will say that got it back so no harm no foul. Most likely even if they do go after the guy they will just want to get whoever sold it to him

Odds are the guy is the one who took it and the bought it was a play to appear innocent.

16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

And we can tell where your "social" level is. How old are you? 10?

17. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not going to go and tell on them because I have resolved the issue and it would also needlessly complicate things. I also know for a fact the guy who bought it knew the ipod was stolen because my name was still quite readable and he knew who I was. I think the loss of 100 bucks is enough punishment. On a somewhat funnier note, I could sue the guy who sold the ipod in small claims court for the 100 dollars he got. It would be a charge for "renting" out my ipod for the month it was missing. Of course I'm not going to waste my time doing it but I like to think about how ridiculous if would be if I did. :D

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well I guess my point in my first post was a bit unclear ....

in my world, you should be more happy that you got it back at all than punitive towards the naive kid who bought it (if he indeed bought it). I think your lucky that the ***** who stole it sold it to someone locally because thats an easy $200 on eBay. and another $250 it would have cost you instead of focusing on who had it be happy you have it back and close the book ... maybe take a lesson in being more careful too.

19. urban1985_ macrumors regular

You should report it to the police, just to make a statement. Don't expect anything out of it though.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Tell the guy to tell you who he bought it from or you'll report him. When you find out who he bought it from, murder the guy :D Do SOMETHING to him. Report him, or find a way to get a virus on his PC and hack him, or something :p

21. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I must say I do like the idea of sending a virus to him... It would be like murdering him, only I would be killing his PC. All I have to do is hook our old pc that is clogged with spyware and viruses to the internet. Then ill go ahead and forward all my old junkmail to him. I'm sure that there are some viruses hiding in some of those suckers. :D