The Most Convincing Argument Against Legalized Marijuana Yet

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Kalns, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. Kalns macrumors regular

    Kalns

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #1
    http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2368994.ece

    It's an interesting article with a lot of very recent findings. Makes you think twice about the whole legalizing pot issue.

    If you don't want to read the whole article, this blurb pretty much sums it up:

    "The link between cannabis and psychosis is quite clear now; it wasn't 10 years ago."

    Many medical specialists agree that the debate has changed. Robin Murray, professor of psychiatry at London's Institute of Psychiatry, estimates that at least 25,000 of the 250,000 schizophrenics in the UK could have avoided the illness if they had not used cannabis. "The number of people taking cannabis may not be rising, but what people are taking is much more powerful, so there is a question of whether a few years on we may see more people getting ill as a consequence of that."
     
  2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

    miloblithe

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #2
    OK. Slap a warning label on the legal package: not for schizophrenics.
     
  3. mpw Guest

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2004
    #3
    No expert and haven't bothered to read the article in full (too lazy, imagine what I'd be like stoned!) but I hate statistics like that being used.

    So 10% of schizophrenics have their condition as a result of smoking weed? What about the other 90% did they not smoke? if they did why isn't that the cause of there condition, if they didn't who's to say the other 10% wouldn't have got the condition for the same reasons the non-smokers did?

    Of 250,000 people with lung-cancer what's the percentage 'caused by smoking? I bet it's higher than 10%
     
  4. solvs macrumors 603

    solvs

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    LaLaLand, CA
  5. noaccess macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2005
    #5
    I don't really think people can just develop a condition as serious as this just by consuming a particular substance unless they were already predisposed to it in some way. There are signs that can already exist before someone develops schizophrenia, which, if noticed, the person displaying these signs can be warned not to consume substances which pose a risk.

    Plus, there are genetic, neurological and psychological factors contributing to the development schizophrenia at some point in time. In this case, I think cannabis only acts as a trigger for something that was dormant in the first place.
     
  6. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

    Kalns

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #6
    Well it's said in the article that part of the reason for it is because the pot being sold today is 25 times more potent than what was sold a couple decades ago.
     
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
  8. srf4real macrumors 68030

    srf4real

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    Location:
    paradise beach FL
    #8
    It's not the pot that made me do it, it was the crack.:cool:

    Or maybe it was the combination.

    stop talking about me - I can hear you.
     
  9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

    Swarmlord

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #9
    Avoided their schizophrenia if they hadn't used pot? That's not what their neighbor's dog told them.
     
  10. skunk macrumors G4

    skunk

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2002
    Location:
    Republic of Ukistan
    #10
    The part of me that gave up smoking at the New Year couldn't possibly comment.
     
  11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

    obeygiant

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2002
    Location:
    totally cool
    #11
    I guess someone could use that as an argument against legalizing pot. But we're only talking about 10% of a small segment of the UK. And isnt Ireland famous for this anyway? Maybe UK is guilty by proximity. :D

    Its not if you're schizophrenic for smoking dope, it if you are schizophrenic enough. haha
     
  12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

    IJ Reilly

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Palookaville
    #12
    What about the part of you that's under constant surveillance by the police?
     
  13. skunk macrumors G4

    skunk

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2002
    Location:
    Republic of Ukistan
    #13
    That part couldn't possibly comment either, for obvious reasons.
     
  14. davidjearly macrumors 68020

    davidjearly

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #14
    It shouldn't be legalised. It hate all the pathetic people I meet, make friends with and then later find out they do marijuana. It is quite simply disgusting.
     
  15. vniow macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    I accidentally my whole location.
    #15

    I agree. Smoking a joint is about as morally equivalent as running over a basket full of small kittens with a 4x4. People who do such things are absolutely disgusting and I wouldn't want to associate with anyone who knows anyone who knows them
     
  16. davidjearly macrumors 68020

    davidjearly

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #16
    And put so perfectly too. What really gets me, is that amongst my peers, it is extremely difficult to find someone who doesn't do it. I think more needs to be done to prevent the use of it, and not attempts to legalise it.
     
  17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

    Swarmlord

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #17
    So the legality of things should be decided on whether they disgust someone or not? Good thing that's not a measure or everyone that drinks, smokes cigarettes or eats fattening food would be in jail too.
     
  18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

    Swarmlord

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #18
    You probably don't go out in public much then, huh? :cool:
     
  19. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago
    #19
    This is one of those lovely moments when I believe Voltaire lives on and it brings a smile.
     
  20. davidjearly macrumors 68020

    davidjearly

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #20
    When it affects the people around them, then yes. Smoking does, as can drinking. These things are no comparison to doing drugs or obesity however.
     
  21. zimv20 macrumors 601

    zimv20

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    toronto
    #21
    lovely. the drug ruins them so much that they're still able to go out so you can make friends with them. oh the horror!
     
  22. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2006
    Location:
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    #22
    Alcohol and tobacco are drugs. They just weren't outlawed, except booze, but see how that worked out.

    Personally, I've never tried weed, so I can't comment on how crappy it is or how good it is, but everyone I know who smokes marijuana is generally good natured, nice, and fun to hang out with.

    But then again, I love just sitting in bars and having conversations with the drunks.
     
  23. Queso macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #23
    I used to smoke it. My alcohol intake dropped dramatically. So whilst it hurts the old lungs, the liver loves the stuff. The brain probably doesn't care either way.

    Swings and roundabouts I think they call it.
     
  24. bartelby macrumors Core

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    #24
    I used to smoke a fair amount of weed when I was younger.
    I stopped when I realised my short term memory was shot and my ability to get sentences out in one go had gone wonky.

    I also happen to have mental problems. Whether there is a link between that and the weed I'm not sure.
     
  25. yg17 macrumors G5

    yg17

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2004
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #25
    I've never done it, don't ever plan to, but if someone wants to smoke it, what's the big deal? It's not hurting anyone besides themselves.


    Plus, alcohol is just as harmful, if not more, and that stuff's legal.
     

Share This Page