the most extraordinary moments live on tv

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Oct 8, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

reagan being shot
    barry bonds 71
    moon landing
    hank aaron beating ruth record

...at least from what i saw live

i was sleeping when 9-11 hit
    i missed 62 by mcgwire
    i heard about john lennon many hours later
    i heard about space shuttle later

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

northwestern beating ohio state on saturday! woohoo!

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if we are talking baseball, then... ichiro's hits #257 and #258.

i saw mcguire's 62nd, but not barry's 71st...

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Janet Jackson's right boob
    OJ Simpson Car Chase
    First Iraq war

5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

9/11/01

Space Shuttle Challenger

The 1st & 2nd time the Patriots won the Super Bowl.

Bobby Orr's spectacular goal to win Lord Stanley's Cup for the Bruins in 1970.

And I suppose the Immaculate Reception.. but.. the Steelers. Meh.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm surprised there are so few mentions of 9/11. I missed that one--I was at work, where there were no TVs.

How about the Beatles on Ed Sullivan? Or Elvis?

How about "shock and awe"?

The streaker at the academy awards.

The space shuttle disaster (the first one -- much more dramatic television).

The Kennedy-Nixon debates.

The Vietnam war (whole thing) -- first televised war.

Roots (not live, though).

And last, but not least: the live DAILY SHOW coverage of the first presidential debate :)

[come to think of it, I think the Daily Show and the space shuttle are the only ones on this list that I actually saw live]

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And no one mentioned 9/11? That will never be something I'll be able to get out of my head.... :(

Moon landings.....

US Hockey Team Beating the Russians at the Olympics in Lake Placid :D

D

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

9/11

Was at home off work due to illness, sleeping.

Woke up, turned on radio (2pm London time) to hear reports of fires at WTC. Turned on TV, saw some unbelievable pictures (some of which I have never seen again on any documentary). Watched it solidly for next 4-5 hours...

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    9/11

EDSA II (its a philippine thing where we ousted our president, i was in the streets)

the shuttle thing

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it..

Was when Bob Dole took a header off a stage on live TV? If so, that one should be in my list as well.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

On our local news, a report was talking about some festival and this guy jumps in front of the camera and makes a funny face. The reporter punches the guy and throws him off screen into some shrubbery. I laughed so hard... :D

9/11/01 ranks up there. I had my alarm clock set to a radio show, but when I woke up I hear:
    "...now more on the emergency in New York Trade Center..."

I turned it off, got dressed and ready, went downstairs. Turned on the TV which is something I never do in the morning. TV came on it time to see the second plane hit, someone offscreen yells "holy f***!" Got ready for school while watching it. At school, we had an assembly about it, then off to class. :( Most teachers tried to keep teaching but one of our teachers hooked up a projector and for the rest of the day I watched along with the rest of the class both of them fall. Not a good day.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

OHOHOH!! Yes, that was horrific. With Theisman lying there screeching (which I would obviously not fault him for). Way to go, LT.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

All the space flights loom large in my mind, especially the moon landing. The Kennedy Assassination coverage was a very moving time for Americans. Another time of great emotion was of course 9/11. Television has brought many great events in our homes.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And now that I'm a "TiVotee" (19 hours and counting), I'll catch them "all"!

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Watching the 2nd plane hit on 9/11 on my PowerBook at the office, someone had said that there was a fire in the WTC, I ran QT up and almost the first thing I saw was the impact, I watched until the 2nd tower fell, then I went home and watched it all again.

9/11 is my generation's Kennedy assasination.

The first shuttle disaster also sticks in the mind, as does Manchester United scoring twice in the last few minutes to win the European Cup.

Jonny Wilkinson's drop-goal to win the rugby world cup in the last moments of extra time was pretty special too.

I saw Tommy Cooper die live on TV, he just fell over, and everyone thought it was part of the show, he was laying there and the audience was still laughing...

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I agree with all of the previous posters, so I'll just add one that I haven't seen mentioned here yet: the news coverage immediately following the report of the car accident in Paris that killed Princess Diana. At first they reported the accident but wouldn't say (perhaps because they didn't know for certain) that she'd been killed. We were pretty much glued to the TV set waiting for them to eventually confirm what we already suspected.

19. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

9/11 is probably the most shocking moments ever on live tv.

listening to the reporters talking about a "freak accident" and then watching as another plane smashes into the second tower right as they are in the middle of that line was just horific. 9/11 is defintally my #1 most extraordinary moment

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

On the off chance that there's some other American like me who didn't recognize this name: Tommy Cooper was (according to Google) a British magician and comedian.

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

9/11 - No more to be said.

Challenger explosion - My first real exposure to something truly horrific on live TV.

First Shuttle launch ever - A very positive experience. I remember getting up really early to watch it on TV. Those first launches were always a family experience.

OJ Simpson car chase - Just so sureal.

All Pennsylvania miners pulled alive from flooded mine. - This one is a little more obscure, but I just remember it was amazing that everyone was alive.

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah. Thanks for that reminder <cringe>. I imagine quite a few people will remember the Ohio St. vs. Miami championship game in January 2003 where McGahee blew out his knee....

23. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Dutch television: murder of politician Pim Fortuyn.

Anyone in the UK or Germany or USA hear about that? What were your thougths?

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The name sounds familiar, but not the events...what happened exactly?

Also, Ronald Reagan getting shot was something played over and over again...

D

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The reading of the verdicts in the Rodney King police conduct trial in Simi Valley (April 29, 1992) and the O.J. criminal trial in downtown Los Angeles (October 3, 1995) were extraordinary moments on TV, especially here in Los Angeles. One resulted in a riot and both produced much debate, controversy, and national discussion.

The O.J. case was of special interest to me because I saw the murder scene in person. Wait, hold on, I'm innocent, really I am, but I just happened to be driving down the street next to Nicole's condo early the next morning, June 13, 1994, and saw the police starting their crime scene investigation. And I had watched the low-speed chase (June 17, 1994) on TV as it went up the same freeway I often drive.

On the lighter side, I recall the TV coverage of the worldwide millennium New Year's Eve party, which showed us the fantastic celebrations from Paris, New York, and other cities, followed by the biggest dud of a celebration in history here in Los Angeles. For a city famed for Hollywood extravaganzas, we sure took a big swing and missed that night! Extraordinarily bad.