The most incredible NEW technology!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cynicalsavant, Jul 7, 2002.

1. cynicalsavant macrumors newbie

Is it just me, or are the holographic hard drives (have NO idea when they would come) the most incredible, and by far the most important thing to a computer consumer. I mean, for instance, FireWire2 will be nice...but even an ATA133 can't even use the extra speed, hence the 133 in the name. I mean, I edit videos, and do some 3D work quiet often, and the ONLY thing holding me from doing something large is the fact that a BIG professional video editing system is ungodly expensive! I just think that hopefully the holographic hard drive will revolutionize the industry like no other.

What do you think?

Rick.

2. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I think it will be a great day when we have these. However, its not a new idea, its something that people have been working on for years. Also, it will be that much more expensive for the first few years after it's available....and it wont be available for the general public for a while after its available to companies.

Then there is also the biocomputers...I think this may be what is next, and will prolly be used instead of holographic drives. Imagine using proteins to hold your data. the body can do so many things so quickly. If we can get something to work at a fraction of that speed using biological means it would be so much faster then holographs. This is being worked on as well. Theyre already able to use RNA to encrypt and decipher messages (though small data can only be used now).

thats what I think.

3. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly do holographic hard drives work?

Bill

4. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

There are multiple layers of data. So, if you were to use a CD for example, you have data on it which is on a plane.

If you were to cover that same area in 3 dimensions as opposed to one, you get that much more storage in the same space.

I dont know that much about it so I dont remember how it's faster....but I didread about it and there is a way.

5. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I think we'll be seeing solid-state (ie, RAM) drives long before holographic ones.

They are already in production, but are too expensive right now.

As RAM prices drop and capacities increase...who knows...:D

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

does anyone have a link for good site about holographic drives? i've heard of them before, but i have forgot all about them.

biocomputers also have me intrigued....:eek:
    anyone know a good site that talks about this?

and RAM drives. thats where they use the exact same RAM, only lots of it in a hard drive, right? anyone have links for that?

8. ntg macrumors regular

ntg

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks for that, i'll have a look at them.

anyone have info on RAM hard drives?
    or biocomputers?

10. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Holographs and the human mind

Holographs are cool, because the analogyis the closest we have come to understanding how the human memory works. The key to holograph theory is that the whole is included in the smalles piece. IT is the same as DNA, or actuall holographs, where the entire image can be reproduced from a fragment of that image. In that since, the storage capacity is endless, like the human memory, which never really loses any information.

Anyway, I'm not entirely informed on this stuff, and I am basically paraphrasing from a book by Michio Kaku called Visions, in which he theorizes about physocs and technology in the coming hundred years. Its definitely worth a read, and you can email him, if you have questions. He's a cool cat, a little dorky, but the reigning Phyisicist these days, his ten deminitional superstring therories are astoundingly simple when he explains them.:D

Check the man out! :D

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Interesting, but if we see it any time soon, it will most likely be in the form of read only. Thats a ton of data to be moving around and the current systems wouldn't really be able to handle the max data rate.

Solid state memory is ok, it just extremely expensive and doesn't get you any more speed, acutally. We have a couple here at work, and they're basically used for data recording on aircraft - try running a regular harddrive when an F18 is pulling a 5G turn.....

I don't think we see current diskdrives replaced anytime soon, they're just too cheap and getting smaller and faster every year.

D

12. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

It seems to me that RAM hard drives are sooner to come than holographic ones. Could you imagine the speed that you could get out of a 40gigs of ram that stores your info. Right now it's not feasable, but soon...

-Pete

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

no holo...

I think that crystals will be used for storage before holographic storage. A crystal can be writen in all three dimensions, at the same time, and is a stable material. It won't be restricted by rotational rates either. You could carry around a few TB of storage in your pocket with crystals, where you would need something to carry discs with (of any nature). Cd's, dvd's and their decendants are also effected by scratches. Scratch the top of the disc, and it either skips, or looses a critical part and the data is essentially lost. A simple scratch proof coating could be placed on the crystals (similar to what is placed on eyeglass lenses) and it will take a hell of a lot to scratch them. Even then, depending on how they set the crystals to work, it could only require a moderate amount of work (if any) to retrieve the data.

14. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Speaking of technology...

Going back a few weeks - you folks read about how some scientists in Australia successfully conducted an experiment based on Star Trek's transporter technology?

Apparently, they "transported" a laser beam from one location to another a metre away. On the surface, it doesn't seem like much at the moment. Even the scientists are saying that it'll be a while before they can transport people! However, they did say that solid objects may be a reality in 50 or so years.

The implications for the computer technology, however, are enormous. No more bandwidth problems, bottlenecking or bus speeds. No more copper technology or cramped, cooked motherboards.

Data can be "transported" from one location to another, instantaneously, creating a whole new breed of supercomputers...

Like all things, all in good time...
    ;)

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Speaking of technology...

Just imagine the damage that hackers will be able to create with that as well. They need to think about the harm that such a technology could cause as well as the potential benefits.

That tech could also breed an entire new line of weapons that bypasses armor and simpley 'transports' high speed projectiles into tanks and such. With such an item/weapon, groud troops could take out tanks, carriers, and such.

16. Eliot macrumors member

Once transportation technology becomes possible, the concept of physical weapons even becomes obsolete...........all data, all personnel and all civilian and military materiel would be at the mercy of such a capability.

This would be a technological advance to make the invention of the wheel look like a one finger exercise.

Can it POSSIBLY be true?

17. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Well, Alpha...

Quoting Newton's Third Law of Motion:

"...for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction..."

I think that applies here, too. Everything we do - or invent - affects us all, whether we like the consequences or not. If it wasn't for the V2 Rocket, for example (a precursor to weapons of "mass destruction"), we never would have made it to the Moon; nor would we have many types of plastics, alloys, advancements in photography, computer technology, foods, or even velcro!

Whatever happens, we must all act responsibly with what we discover. We should benefit from it, and not ever let it come between us.

After all - we're all in the same boat, aren't we? :)

18. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have a one finger exercise for you... :eek: :eek: :D I could show it to you, but knowing how p.c. the forums have become it would probably get censored out in about two heartbeats. Lets just say it involves wings and a beak. :p

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Liquidmetal seems to be getting out of the golf club production rut they've been in for several years, switching back to a metals technology company.

Which means they've been actively shopping the technology around to companies. Should make some interesting applications.

A metal that can be cast with the same precision as plastics, and is very strong.

www.liquidmetal.com/applications/index.cfm?drill=casings