The most Mac-like 20" display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rogersmj, Sep 26, 2006.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm looking to pick up a 20" widescreen 1680x1050 LCD to pair with my new 20" iMac. I need the visual characteristics of the screen to match as closely as possible to the iMac's panel. I hate things looking different on one monitor than the other. I have narrowed it down to three contenders based on their brightness (300cd/m2) and contrast ratio (800:1) being identical to the iMac's panel:

Dell 2007wfp
    Pros: I have seen this one in person, I know it's a nice display, and it has extra inputs (Component, s-video) and a USB hub. It's also the only one with adjustable height. This is the one I think I want.
    Cons: Most expensive. The best deal I can get is about $350+tax ~= $375. Is that worth it over the next two?

Sceptre X20WC-Gamer
    Pros: Very inexpensive ($275+shipping). I also saw the precursor to this one (X20G-NAGA III) in person about 6 months back, and was seriously impressed with the image quality
    Cons: Horrific illuminated "SCEPTRE" logo on the front. It's huge -- a good three or four inches long. It's blue when the monitor's on, and blinks red when it's in standby. Seriously, it's scary. Why would anyone do that to a product? I think this is probably the only thing keeping me from buying this monitor right now.

Viewsonic VX2025WM
    Pros: Highly rated, reasonable price ($318 shipped)
    Cons: Zero adjustability, ugly looking stand, useless built-in speakers

And no, I will not buy a 20" Cinema Display because they are too expensive, have a stupid cabling system, and have only one input (I need at least DVI and VGA).

If any of you have any of these monitors, or have other monitors whose image quality looks exactly the same as an iMac's, I would appreciate your input.

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't own any but from what i've read here, a lot of people have Dell displays. they are most comparable to Apple Cinema Displays in features.

3. Sam0r macrumors regular

Take a dell 2005FPW, get rid of the dell logo from the front (Sandpaper + filler, just make sure you do a good job), then spraypaint the whole thing white.

Saw one done like that next to an iMac 20" and it looked brilliant.

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I think he's more concerned that the actual display matches his iMac... not just the color of the outer casing.

I'd go with the dell. The iMac and the dell have the same panel (I'm not sure about the other two) so I think that's as close as you can get. They are going to have different backlights though.

I've seen a few iMacs + dell displays in the setup thread. Perhaps you can browse through there and PM a few of the people with that setup to get an exact answer.

5. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Correct. I don't care all that much about the physical appearance of the thing.

Thanks for the recommendations. Hopefully I can find someone or they find this thread!

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Two displays often don't match each other, even if they are the same model, because of the way computers can output the 2nd signal. With that said, go with the Dell.

7. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah I know there's a possibility they won't exactly match; I've been running multiple displays for the last four years at home and work and always have the same model whenever possible, but even then I notice subtle differences. However, the chances of it being identical or near-identical are a lot better if it's the same panel.

8. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

If you talk to brikeh or me, we'll tell you that a Samsung 205BW is the way to go. They are awesome. 'nuff said.:)

9. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Well guys I got a good deal on a 2007wfp, so I ordered one of those and it should be here tomorrow.

I didn't initially consider the Samsung because it doesn't have the same contrast ratio as the iMac (700:1 vs. 800:1). Even though I've already ordered a monitor, for the sake of my education in these matters could you tell me if it really looks perfectly identical to your iMac's screen? Could you load up the same image on both and compare? I'm interested to know what a 100 difference in contrast ratio really means.

10. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I thought that TN displays weren't that good quality?

11. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I have the Viewsonic display and have been very happy with it. I believe if you calibrate both displays with something like a Huey, they should look fairly close.