The Mother of All Demos (Engelbart)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Oct 14, 2006.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2005
    I am enjoying this revolutionary 1968 (wrongly labeled as 1976) presentation of hyperlinks, mouse technology, multipoint conferencing, etc. by Doug Engelbart...

but I can't help wondering about the keyboard device he is using. I recognize the keyboard itself, and the (3-button!) mouse on the right, but what is that set of 5 "keys" or control bars he is manipulating with his left hand? He sorta-kinda explains, but I don't quite get it....
  2. kondspi macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2006
    Cool + no idea about the keyboard. Thanks for the link!
  3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2005
    I know a little more now. Apparently it's called a "chording keyboard." The user can make various key-touch combinations to indicate any character in the alphabet, so he can enter text or commands (like modern function-key combos?) while moving the mouse pointer simultaneously....But I still don't quite grasp the details. At first I thought this device was just a relic, but I've found several companies that do make chording keyboards to this day, most commonly for Braille users. I'd just never seen one before. I guess it's also the thing stenographers use in court....

What a demo. Videoconferencing, email, collaborative multi-point file manipulation, GUI, chart drawing.... :eek:
  4. iAlan macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2002
    Haven't watch it all yet -- am at work -- but impressive given the year!

Will watch it all and get back to ya'
  5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    So, the idea is one hand on the mouse, the other typing using the five keys? Pity they're not widely available today!